Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ammoshop loose 124gr Geco squib,…

Site Supporter
    You need to pound the bullet back out the chamber end. You're not going to hurt the barrel or the chamber. Either put the barrel in a vice, suitably padded with wood or leather, or just brace the chamber end of the barrel against a piece of wood. A few good whacks with a hammer on a brass rod and it should come right out.

This is one of those cases where a "bigger hammer" really is a boon. Adding mass to the hammer head is better than swinging harder because it's easier to control.

I've had to do this with my Glock 19. I had one pretty firmly stuck I actually used a paddle bit to make a hole in a 2x4 block big enough to sit the chamber end of the barrel in about 1/4" or so, used this brass rod, this brass rod (link), some PB blaster and a 3lb engineer hammer.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the great feedback.

It might just b me & the way my wonky brain is reading these posts, but it sounds like some of you are saying DONT try to push it BACK out the chamber end. And then some post read to me like they’re suggesting doing EXACTLY that!😳

The base of the bullet is just barely into the barrel maybe 3-4mm into the rifled section past the breach/chamber. Although it’s certainly a much shorter distance for this to have to travel,… I was under the impression that I did NOT want to try and back it out through the chamber end of the barrel. Is that correct? Do I need to Be careful to push this Stuck SOB ALL the way out thru the muzzle end to avoid damaging anything??

I’m concerned that it could damage the feed ramp bracing that end on any surface wood or other and trying to back it out the chamber. But also damn,…. It’s got s LOOOONG way to travel before it can come out the muzzle end.
    Push it back the way it came (towards the chamber). Solid surfaces, stiff rods, and heavy weight will do the trick.

And get your mind out of the gutter after reading that.

Regarding your question of is it normal for things to be this tight - absolutely. The bullet is generally 0.001 inches BIGGER than the bore for FMJ ammo, so you're trying to push something bigger than the hole. This engages the rifling and makes the gas more efficient at moving things town the tube.

Update,..

So,.. I contacted Ammoshoponline (AKA, Normashooting.com) told them sbout the single squib and they’re going to provide a full refund for the ammo. I’ve shot a little over 500 of the 1k delivered and they sent a return shipping label for the remaining rounds. They’ve asked me to return the remaining ammunition for testing. 🤷*♂️

I only contacted them because it was suggested that the mfr might wish to know if they had a potentially defective lot of ammo out in the world. Wasn’t particularly looking for a refund. I’ve shot a few thousand rounds of the various Norma/Ammoshoponline ammunition without any problems, but it’s Nice to know they stand behind their product.

(@jeep45238 I’ve got one of those brass rods you linked to coming tomorrow, so if it works to dislodge the stuck round with no damage to the barrel or additional $$ spent trying to fix it,.. chalk up to a good learning experience!!) 👍🏻

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    so you're trying to push something bigger than the hole.
    Are we still doing phrasing?

Chris

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=jeep45238;1354308]

And get your mind out of the gutter after reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Are we still doing phrasing?

Chris
    I mean....yeah, but after someone gets the help.

Had a similar problem once; as soon as I put the barrel in a vise the bullet just popped right out. The vise made all the difference vs whatever surface I had been trying to use.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Regarding your question of is it normal for things to be this tight - absolutely. The bullet is generally 0.001 inches BIGGER than the bore for FMJ ammo, so you're trying to push something bigger than the hole. This engages the rifling and makes the gas more efficient at moving things town the tube.
    Go check out the SAAMI spec books. There is a lot more tolerance allowed than most realize. It's not uncommon at all for 9mm pistol barrels to be .356. Jacketed bullets are generally held pretty close to .355. It is normal for cast bullets to be ~0.001" bigger than grooves to ensure sealing. Undersize tends to generate leading. Jackets are far more tolerant of undersize, obviously.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    The FMJs I was using measured .354-. They shot okay, though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Go check out the SAAMI spec books. There is a lot more tolerance allowed than most realize. It's not uncommon at all for 9mm pistol barrels to be .356. Jacketed bullets are generally held pretty close to .355. It is normal for cast bullets to be ~0.001" bigger than grooves to ensure sealing. Undersize tends to generate leading. Jackets are far more tolerant of undersize, obviously.
    Yes, and individuals vary, etc. - I would cast .38spl bullets for my Beretta due to the barrel variance (although I've always sized lead 0.002" larger than the bore).

User Tag List