Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammoshop loose 124gr Geco squib,…

Ammoshop loose 124gr Geco squib,…

So,.. had a friend with me at the range today and we were shooting the Ammoshop online loose can of the norma headstamped Geco124,.. when we encountered a squib round about 350 rounds into the batch. The Bullet is lodged in the barrel of my Hellcat so tight it won't budge even a fraction further down the barrel when hit HARD using a wood dowel and rubber mallet.

Im worried My Hellcat barrel might just b toast. I Don't know how else to move that stuck round thru the barrel. I don’t know what caused it to be jammed in so tight. Im pretty sure a regular, typical squibbed round should be able to be dislodged from, or forced thru the barrel, yes?

Any tips, advice, insight, or is it just bad news here on in?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
    So,.. had a friend with me at the range today and we were shooting the Ammoshop online loose can of the norma headstamped Geco124,.. when we encountered a squib round about 350 rounds into the batch. The Bullet is lodged in the barrel of my Hellcat so tight it won't budge even a fraction further down the barrel when hit HARD using a wood dowel and rubber mallet.

Im worried My Hellcat barrel might just b toast. I Don't know how else to move that stuck round thru the barrel. I don’t know what caused it to be jammed in so tight. Im pretty sure a regular, typical squibbed round should be able to be dislodged from, or forced thru the barrel, yes?

Any tips, advice, insight, or is it just bad news here on in?
    Being tight like that is normal.

Take the barrel out and dribble penetrating oil down the muzzle end. Then, bag it up and put it in the freezer overnight with the muzzle pointed up. Next morning, try your dowel and mallet again, pounding from the muzzle end.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Being tight like that is normal.

Take the barrel out and dribble penetrating oil down the muzzle end. Then, bag it up and put it in the freezer overnight with the muzzle pointed up. Next morning, try your dowel and mallet again, pounding from the muzzle end.

Chris
    Just to be clear, When you say penetrating oil,.. do you mean something like WD40 or just your standard gun lube?

Also, won’t freezing the barrel constrict it around the stuck round even more so ???
    Last edited by Chomps; 05-15-2022 at 06:56 PM.

Site Supporter
    Just to be clear, When you say penetrating oil,.. do you mean something like WD40 or just your standard gun lube?

Also, And won’t freezing the barrel constrict the it around the round even more so ???
    Something sold in auto parts store as penetrating oil like liquid wrench or Kroil.

Site Supporter

Also, And won’t freezing the barrel constrict the it around the round even more so ???
    What @HCM said. I used PB Blaster because I had it on hand.

Yes, the barrel will contract as well, but in the times I've had to use this method the bullet just popped out. I suspect the bullet contracts more than the barrel or maybe it was the lube and time.

Chris

Site Supporter
    There's risk to using a wooden dowel. If it spits, part of it can be driven between bullet and barrel. This complicates removal. Using wood dowels in rifle barrels is more risky than handgun barrels. If you do use a wood dowel, I suggest taking the barrel to a hardware store and buying the largest one that will enter the barrel. In any case, you must remove barrel. If you don't have a vice, consider paying a gunsmith to remove the bullet. The ideal tool is a solid brass rod which you can buy on-line from supply houses.

No. The bullet's lead alloy and barrel steel have different thermal expansion coefficients. The lead alloy should exhibit a slightly greater reduction in size than the barrel steel loosening it enough for it to be driven free from the barrel.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Something sold in auto parts store as penetrating oil like liquid wrench or Kroil.
    Ok,.. thnx! I’ve got some Liquid Wrench in the cupboard, so I’ll give that a try tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    No. The bullet's lead alloy and barrel steel have different thermal expansion coefficients. The lead alloy should exhibit a slightly greater reduction in size than the barrel steel loosening it enough for it to be driven free from the barrel.
    Appreciate the help fellas! Thanks to all who replied. I really thought Id fried my barrel.

Site Supporter
    The rubber mallet isn't helping, it's limiting the actual force that's transmitted (that's why it bounces). You'll probably have much better luck with a hammer, or even better, a dead blow.

I've done this when I worked at the range with a cleared gun, slide locked back, muzzle to the floor, and a shotgun cleaning rod in the barrel resting on the bullet. Several firm taps on the floor, keeping the rod in contact with the bullet cleared them every time (happened a lot on gunshow weekends with the reloads).

Think of it like mortaring your AR, but you're keeping the rod on the bullet instead of pressure on the charging handle.

Update;

So,.. sprayed LW down the barrel, set it in the freezer 8 hours overnight. Wood dowel and hammering HARD this morning did NOTHING. Bullet will NOT budge a mm as far as I can determine.

Is it Really normal that the projectile is so tightly lodged/jammed in the barrel? Without ANY previous knowledge or experience with this sort of situation, it seems to me like its not right. Not doubting anyones knowledge, it’s that my novice reaction to how immovable that bullet seems to be is that it couldn’t be fire thru the barrel with a normal powder load. 🤷*♂️ I mean, I whaled on the mallet & nothing!! (…cracked the dowel in the middle tho)

Anyway,.. So It appears a trip to the Gunsmith & MORE $$$ will need to be spent on this albatross of a handgun. (…I know! The ammunition was the culprit here, just frustrated with my overall Hellcat experience.

User Tag List