Thread: TOPS Unzipper

TOPS Unzipper

I thought this knife could be a cool little EDC for when I'm in places that allow fixed blades so I went ahead and bought a TOPS Unzipper. Initial impressions were good, but I did not like the bolster/heel because it would get caught on draws from aiwb or in the pocket. I also hated the pull the dot loop it was setup with. I went ahead and changed both those things using a DCC clip for the otherwise great sheath (required drilling another hole) and I reprofiled the knife with my Dremel, then cold blued the bare metal. I'm very happy with the result and kind of wonder why they don't come like this from TOPS, but oh well. The only other things I would change are making the grips larger, and maybe grinding down the lanyard loop but I'm undecided on the lanyard loop part.

This is my first TOPS knife and very far from my first knife- I'm overall impressed. I am now wanting to order a C.U.T. 4.0 as well to mess with.

Name:  PXL_20220509_041923486.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  100.3 KB

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Interesting. Like a clinch pick for guys who can't unlearn the habit of thumbing the top of the blade.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Interesting. Like a clinch pick for guys who can't unlearn the habit of thumbing the top of the blade.
    That jimping is largely a hold-over from another tops model with the same blade/handle profile, and a standard edge. The placement relative to the handle swell is, let’s say, not optimal for keeping one’s thumb out of trouble. Pretty much a useless addition.

The unzipper is sort of like an even mix between a clinch pick and a disciple. I concur with the OP that ditching the lanyard hole and the factory pull dot set up (which is objectively terrible) is pretty much mandatory—at which point it becomes a cool little blade. JMO. I’m glad I bought one, despite some odd choices in factory set up.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    I wouldn't trust that jimping for keeping one's thumb in place there and for whatever reason, the unzipper feels much better in a reverse hammer grip. Before grinding down knife, it was actually really hard to have a forward grip in either direction but now it is doable, but reverse hammer grip feels best (to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    That jimping is largely a hold-over from another tops model with the same blade/handle profile, and a standard edge. The placement relative to the handle swell is, let’s say, not optimal for keeping one’s thumb out of trouble. Pretty much a useless addition.

The unzipper is sort of like an even mix between a clinch pick and a disciple. I concur with the OP that ditching the lanyard hole and the factory pull dot set up (which is objectively terrible) is pretty much mandatory—at which point it becomes a cool little blade. JMO. I’m glad I bought one, despite some odd choices in factory set up.
    I am actually considering adding jimping to the other side to help keep grip rather than a location for thumb placement. I really like this knife, and am sort of thinking about making some larger scales for it as well but that would be a little more work than I want to do right now. This knife deserves a V2 with some of the changes mentioned because it has a lot of potential.

User Tag List