Thread: All Loaded Up For My S&W 617

All Loaded Up For My S&W 617

I'm shooting a Steel Challenge Match tomorrow with my 617, so I set up my loading blocks and DS-10 Speed Loaders for the match. I like to be ready and I don't want to be loading the blocks after each stage so I'm prepared.

It only takes 200 rounds to compete if you don't have any misses. That means I need 39 loadings. I have 17 DS-10s and with my blocks I have another 380 rounds all ready to go. I've neve had to reload during a string of fire but I like having extra ammo just in case. I also let anyone interested in shooting my gun have a chance to do a few runs.

That's pretty cool. Do you need a cart to haul all that around?

Do you need to clean the chambers during a match? I've been shooting a S&W 43c and I just got a Ruger LCR in 22 LR and they get dirty fast.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post

Do you need to clean the chambers during a match? I've been shooting a S&W 43c and I just got a Ruger LCR in 22 LR and they get dirty fast.
    He said it depends on the ammunition. I’ve noticed the same with my M18: some loads coke it up in one or two cylinders, others I can shoot all day with no trouble.

39 reloads and no troubles getting he bullets in or out of the cylinder. I'm using Federal BYOB and they are very clean.

I'm running out of them so I tried CCI-SV which work fine and CCI Mini Mags too. Blazers lock up after 20 rounds.

Someone told me to try Norma Tac 22. It's on sale now for $43 a brick so I picked a bunch up. If it doesn't work in my revolver I'll just use it in my Black Mamba.

A cart helps. I'm handicapped so I use my walker to put my shooting bag and thermos on. Once I reach a new stage I get to sit so I run the scoreboard most of the time.

Using Federal BYOB bullets I don't have to scrub the cylinders for the hole match. Federal HV and CCI - SV are also clean enough to not scrub the cylinder out. Mini Mags work too. This week I'm going to test Norma Tac 22 because someone told me it too is clean. I'm running out of BYOB bullets so I'm looking for alternatives.

User Tag List