Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bow Huntin’

Site Supporter
    What state? And by extension, what is legal?

pat

Utah. As far as I could find, 30 lb legal minimum. I just picked up a Hoyt Torrex and my wife just got a Bowtech Carbon Rose. They’ve been set-up and now we’re trying to find training that fits the family schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only bow hunt as rifle does not interest me anymore.

A good Archery store is going to get you squared away. They will usually have a couple of popular models that you can shoot. Honestly all the current bows made by big manufacture are excellent.

The bow, sight, rest,arrow/broad head, and release are all going to be personal preference. Once you get setup, don’t change or mess with anything. If you make a small change, you just changed everything. Just focus on getting quality reps in a practice. Like the common saying that gets used a lot even on gun forums is the Indian not the arrow analogy. Focus on your skill.

For me I enjoy archery and the process of becoming a better archer, I put in a lot of time on the range. It all culminates when you have a shot at a nice buck and you have the confidence to be able to place that arrow exactly were it needs to be to make a clean, quick, ethical kill.

Keep it simple. People have been using bows to kill things for who knows how long. Focus on being outdoors and becoming a better hunter not chasing the gear fairy.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    Utah. As far as I could find, 30 lb legal minimum. I just picked up a Hoyt Torrex and my wife just got a Bowtech Carbon Rose. They’ve been set-up and now we’re trying to find training that fits the family schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My wife bow hunted too; she had a Bowtech then a Matthews with 40# draw.
    All the deer we bow killed were inside 20 yards; my wife bow killed nine whitetails.
    With her short draw length and just 40# draw her arrows were not very fast, like approximately 220 fps with 350 gr. arrow. (I'm going on memory).
    Given a broadside double lung hit inside 20 yards, she had a couple of pass through hits with Muzzy 90 gr. 4 blade.
    But, deer were more likely to duck the string on her than me (my arrows going about 300 fps) and she had a couple of spine hit deer that needed finishing shot.
    A cut on contact broadhead like the Magnus Stinger would maximize penetration, important with a with a lower poundage bow.
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    …I just picked up a Hoyt Torrex and my wife just got a Bowtech Carbon Rose…
    Pics? C’mon give…

User Tag List