Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 22/45 Mk III + Tac Sol FTE

Ruger 22/45 Mk III + Tac Sol FTE

This is a recurring issue with this gun. I’ve got WAAAAY too much tied up in it for it not to be flawless. Thought it might’ve been mags, so I have a pair of brand new ones…same issue. Now, I’ve not torn it down and cleaned it, but I did add lube. Issue persists. Thoughts?

Name:  E0BC7D20-CF4C-4EAD-A712-C4E1E024F828.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  53.4 KB
    Name:  7D7CDFB0-60CF-4235-8B13-19145ECE048F.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  97.6 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

What kind of extractor are you using? Stock? Volquartsen edge extractor might be a cheap fix

S.O.L. indeed

I have precisely the same problem. Except 22/45 Mark IV.

Substituted a Volquartsen uber bolt (slick finish, improved extractor, and firing pin) with the problem continuing. Different ammo brands, types, and magazines tried. No change. Have not actually polished chamber but did super clean it. No bueno.

Tossed upper in safe and use the boring reliable factory 4 inch bull barrel upper. Insert "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable" quote here. Not happy with this lightweight solution.

Will follow this thread with interest. Probably need to just send it back to the Tac factory.
    My apologies to weasels.

No suggestions other than the extractor right now but from a diagnostic standpoint, I’d consider the following:

Does it only happen when running suppressed?

Does it happen with all ammo, only subsonic or only supersonic?

Have you contacted Tac-Sol to pick their collective brains?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Similar issues with my Son's match gun. Old MKII, received the Eagle's Talon and mag springs from Tandemkross, seemed to fix the issue while running Blazer.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Looks pretty dirty from what I can see in the pic. I’d clean it first.

I have a stock Mk III .22/.45, and occasionally have this stovepipe problem. First thing, as already suggested, is to clean it thoroughly (particularly chamber, bolt, bolt face & extractor, etc.). Then lube it well, with a quality light oil. If the clean/lube alone doesn't fix it, make sure you're trying some quality ammo; it matters in mine. The good stuff works well, and some of the bulk ammo less so, but is "good enough" for practice/plinking. You might also compare high-velocity to low-velocity ammo to see if the difference in power affects functioning.

And (I believe this was suggested too), put the gun back in stock configuration and see how it runs, cleaned and well-lubed.

And then I'd call Customer Service!

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    This is a recurring issue with this gun. I’ve got WAAAAY too much tied up in it for it not to be flawless. Thought it might’ve been mags, so I have a pair of brand new ones…same issue. Now, I’ve not torn it down and cleaned it, but I did add lube. Issue persists. Thoughts?

Name:  E0BC7D20-CF4C-4EAD-A712-C4E1E024F828.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  53.4 KB
    Name:  7D7CDFB0-60CF-4235-8B13-19145ECE048F.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  97.6 KB
    Thats a 22/45 correct? Is there slop between the upper and the frame? If so either squirt some silicone between the frame and barrel and use a rubber band to clamp it until the silicone dries or cut up a soda can to use as a shim. And run it wet.

ETA wait…did you cut the front of the frame off after the trigger guard? How did you mount that light?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I had similar problems, did all the Volquartsen upgrades, and the jams still persisted. My coach at the time (USPSA and Steel Challenge GM) gave me his .22 secret: 99% of the time, it's the mags.

Take a Dremel with a buffing wheel and polish the feed lips, the follower rod, and the follower rod channel. The follower should move smoothly with no "stiction". And, clean your mags often.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List