Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: To SBR or Not to SBR? That is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I hope this is a joke and not the most fucking horrible and bassackwards idea I’ve read all month.

What’s your plan if you suddenly need to stop? Drop the rifle and hope you have time to grab some front brakes or just slam on the rear brake pedal and hope you can control the lowside (or maybe when high side) with only one hand on the bars while your trying not to shoot yourself?
    ABS eliminates rear brakes from locking up and causing a low slide so that isn't a problem. The only way there would be a high side is if the rear brake is released once your in a low slide and get traction. You have to ride the low slide through or your going to go sailing high side. Did you not see the smiley face posted?

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    It is possible to ride a motorcycle on cruise control, draw from the right side saddle bag, fire from locked and loaded, all one handed. I don't think unfolding a folded Law foldable stock is going to make things less complicated or even do-able one handed.
    I can’t tell if you’re being serious because of the smilie. If you are being serious, you absolutely need to reevaluate what you think a lawful defensive firearm deployment is going to look like. The only scenario that’s not in an action movie in which I can even imagine this occurring is if you’re a motor officer. In that case, you probably wouldn’t be trying to make a braced pistol work because your agency would have issued you an SBR.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    You've literally never done this.
    No, literally and figuratively, never done this. But it has been done.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    No, literally and figuratively, never done this. But it has been done.
    You realize that was a movie, and not a documentary...right? The kind of movie with special effects, CGI, and camera angle trickery...right?!

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    The only scenario that’s not in an action movie in which I can even imagine this occurring is if you’re a motor officer. In that case, you probably wouldn’t be trying to make a braced pistol work because your agency would have issued you an SBR.
    Even then, there's no way it would ever be employed in the manner he's envisioning. When I was on Motors/SWAT, we had a couple of guys that carried 10.5" M16's in their saddlebag (receivers separated), but never...never, ever, ever, EVER...would they have been deployed while either 1. on the move, or 2. one handed (much less both!). And his bag is a Civvie H-D bag (Police bags have a different latch/hinge set up), so it would seem this is just someone that envisions themselves as either a T800 or The Punisher.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I can’t tell if you’re being serious because of the smilie. If you are being serious, you absolutely need to reevaluate what you think a lawful defensive firearm deployment is going to look like. The only scenario that’s not in an action movie in which I can even imagine this occurring is if you’re a motor officer. In that case, you probably wouldn’t be trying to make a braced pistol work because your agency would have issued you an SBR.
    A motor officer would come to a complete stop before deploying a rifle or a braced pistol. Even if personal safety wasn't in question, any accuracy would be out of the question and the risk of putting holes in things that you didn't want to put holes in would be very high. There is a lot going on mentally and physically riding a motorcycle. You drive a car, you ride a motorcycle. I'm not a motor officer, but I do have training and can pass a motor officer qual course. Have you seen videos of riders chasing cones in itty bitty spaces scraping floor boards all the way? I do that. Full lock u turn from a stop left and right, 18' keyholes, brake and evade, etc.

Okay back to the subject. I stow an SA Saint pistol in my right side hard saddle bag secured with ATV clip mounts. The diameter of the end of the pistol brace or butt end of an SBR is critical for height. The pistol brace diameter is a close fit so I don't think any stocked SBR, fully assembled, would fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by medmo; 05-17-2022 at 06:38 PM.

The diameter of the end of the pistol brace or butt end of an SBR is critical for height. The pistol brace diameter is a close fit so I don't think any stocked SBR, fully assembled, would fit.
    Name:  8968C3D8-D689-4A46-9AE3-52F93D4F1649.jpeg
Views: 608
Size:  73.7 KB

Maybe not for an AR, but the MPX/MCX the stock options can be pretty short and slim.

Top two are braces and bottom is a stock.

There are even slimmer stocks but I still want a good cheek weld.

Everyone has their own personal preferences, mostly based on their own knowledge, experience, education, and training.
    I would like to see a demonstration highlighting the superiority of one word over another. Because with the infinite variables involved, it’s just a theory. And one impossible to prove, except for each person to decide what is best suited for them? Hardware solutions or software solutions?

Hopefully folks don’t need all four perfect points of rifle contact to make acceptable hits within the weapon’s effective range.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I don't think there is an important performance advantage for a brace vs real stock. I just think they're prettier and stuff.

I don't have any qualms with the hoops/fees needed to build an SBR, and besides you can always buy a brace and pop it on the gun and voila. It's a pistol again.

Leading candidate for governor in AZ, apparently prefers a brace to SBR. From her main tv ad.

Name:  2DCD4373-ED64-4F79-BA8C-6AD82DC2A252.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  34.2 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Leading candidate for governor in AZ, apparently prefers a brace to SBR. From her main tv ad.

Name:  2DCD4373-ED64-4F79-BA8C-6AD82DC2A252.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  34.2 KB
    Clearly an experienced AR pistol shooter.
    I guess it’s handy that her staff handed her a braced pistol, though.
    Well, a pistol until sometime in August.

User Tag List