Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted: Book Recommendations for Eastern Philosophy

so when you say eastern philosophy ~ a generic concept which encompasses a myriad of various philosophies, per se., both East & South Asia & Indian which would/could mean Chinese, Japanese, Korean, as well as Vietnamese philosophies ~ Hindu or Jain or Buddhist deities' philosophies could apply.

kinda like saying you wish to engage in studying western philosophy and having to discern if Islam or Judaism or Christianity (Baptist or Catholic or Latter Day Saints or ) their deities!

best on your prospective snap shot in time glimpse of centuries olde eastern philosophies...

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    so when you say eastern philosophy ~ a generic concept which encompasses a myriad of various philosophies, per se., both East & South Asia & Indian which would/could mean Chinese, Japanese, Korean, as well as Vietnamese philosophies ~ Hindu or Jain or Buddhist deities' philosophies could apply.

kinda like saying you wish to engage in studying western philosophy and having to discern if Islam or Judaism or Christianity (Baptist or Catholic or Latter Day Saints or ) their deities!

best on your prospective snap shot in time glimpse of centuries olde eastern philosophies...
    Thanks for your contribution on this.

I am not sure I could have ever figured out that it was a field with centuries of history and scholarship behind it. Nor that the phrase "Eastern Philosophy" might be defined broadly. Quotation marks around the subject as scare quotes to mean it might be a referential/non-standard use of the phrase weren't a "deliberate" choice on my part...Neither was the choice of requesting both broad recommendations and then call out a specific sub-field of "Eastern Philosophy" within my original post.

Start with the Tao Te Ching and the The Four Books and the Five classics.

These two are foundational to Chinese thinking; not only philosophical and religious thought but culture as their approach to living, believing and thinking is found in anything and everything Chinese since they were written (e.g. the importance of not losing face is Confucian in its origin). Moreover, the deep influence of Chinese culture on its neighbors means that they also have incorporated a lot of Daoism and Confucianism in their own cultures.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

If you want to dive deep into secular Buddhist philosophy, check out the Dharmapunx NYC podcast.

Others have already mentioned some of the standards, Tao De Ching, Five Rings, etc. These are definately worth reading. Hanshan’s poems are another classic (Cold Mountain).

One that I think is also over looked are the basic writings of Han Fei Tzu.

My final recommendation is also to read the writings of the desert fathers of early Christianity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List