Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bee, Wasp, Hornets... anyone know if this actually works?

Bee, Wasp, Hornets... anyone know if this actually works?

It’s that time of the year in Tennessee again and I need an air traffic controller sequencing the arrivals and departures of these things around my back deck.

I’ve already sent several hundred wasp straight to hell followed by a dozen or so big fat carpenters bees boring holes in everything.

Now comes the hornets. It’s like an episode of wild kingdom around here.

So, short of me burning my house down are there any real ways of keeping these things away from here?

I’ve read several articles suggesting plants like Mint or Lemongrass will act as a natural insecticide, anyone know if this actually works?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom View Post
    It’s that time of the year in Tennessee again and I need an air traffic controller sequencing the arrivals and departures of these things around my back deck.

I’ve already sent several hundred wasp straight to hell followed by a dozen or so big fat carpenters bees boring holes in everything.

So, short of me burning my house down are there any real ways of keeping these things away from here?

I’ve read several articles suggesting plants like Mint or Lemongrass will act as a natural insecticide, anyone know if this actually works?
    Well....the wife has both growing in the front garden and it has not at all deterred the wasps nests or carpenter bees in the eaves.

Site Supporter
    Mint is supposed to be a deterrent. We planted some mint around the patio and it SEEMS to be working. Definitely fewer stingy things recently. I'm reading that peppermint oil diluted in a spray bottle and sprayed on surfaces is a similar deterrent. Given the price of things these days, live mint has been the less expensive option but if I could find a useful quantity of peppermint oil for a reasonable price, I'd definitely try it.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Boom View Post

You want this stuff to stop the carpenter bees from destroying your place and it will keep most of the others away, too. Find the right dilution and spray your house, deck, fence, anything wooden. It’s not toxic.

https://www.amazon.com/Durvet-31031-...%2C1442&sr=8-5
    #RESIST

These guys are local to me, and I can vouch that the traps work. Put 4-6 of them around your deck and yard. Be(e) aware that each variety of winged bastard is attracted to different scents engineered by my peeps, so you need to tailor the trap to the pest.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/2...9&ref_=ast_bln
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Looks like they have one for your carpenter bees, too:

https://www.rescue.com/latest-buzz/o...ling-for-help/

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Thanks for the info, I’ll look into those traps and see if they work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    You want this stuff to stop the carpenter bees from destroying your place and it will keep most of the others away, too. Find the right dilution and spray your house, deck, fence, anything wooden. It’s not toxic.

https://www.amazon.com/Durvet-31031-...%2C1442&sr=8-5
    Thanks for the tip! I'll hose down what those damn bees haven't gotten to yet.

Site Supporter
    Do you have any large flowering shrubberies around the porch?

User Tag List