Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 23?

S&W Model 23?

While working last week, I was in a LGS following up on a case. Before leaving I took a few minutes to see what was new (old) in the revolver showcase. There was mint N Frame sitting there that was marked as a Model 23. Thinking the tag was mismarked, I took a closer look and it was sure enough a MOD-23. Went home that night and did some research. I couldn't get back to the store fast enough the next morning.
    I had never heard of one, let alone seen one. The Fourth Edition of the SW Standard Catalog says they gun is relatively rare. What do you all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    While working last week, I was in a LGS following up on a case. Before leaving I took a few minutes to see what was new (old) in the revolver showcase. There was mint N Frame sitting there that was marked as a Model 23. Thinking the tag was mismarked, I took a closer look and it was sure enough a MOD-23. Went home that night and did some research. I couldn't get back to the store fast enough the next morning.
    I had never heard of one, let alone seen one. The Fourth Edition of the SW Standard Catalog says they gun is relatively rare. What do you all think?
    I’ve heard of them but never seen a 23. It is a postwar version of the “Outdoorsman” 6” or 6 1/2” adjustable sight version of the “38-44 Heavy Duty.”

38-44 was simply a plus P plus 38 special loading predating the .357 Magnum.

He Shoots! He SCORES!

Outstanding!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

That is COOL!

Would it be rude to ask how much you paid for it?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Dear Lord, that sure is purty. Nice catch, especially in that condition.

Not rude- The gun was tagged at the shop for $1950.... I paid a bit less. If you onto smith-wessonforum.com, I have a long winded and continuing post on the gun in the gun. I'm trying to get its history while waiting for a letter from the factory.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-han...-mod-23-a.html
    Last edited by Det1397; 03-18-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    Not rude- The gun was tagged at the shop for $1950.... I paid a bit less. If you onto smith-wessonforum.com, I have a long winded and continuing post on the gun in the gun. I'm trying to get its history while waiting for a letter from the factory.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-han...-mod-23-a.html
    I would pay that for that particular piece of history, particularly since getting most if not all of your $$ out of it would not be very difficult. What a neat find. Thanks for sharing it.

My passion of the gun has been re-ignited by revolvers in general, and old ones in particular.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Excellent find and a fair price. Enjoy that great revolver!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Now you need a Model 20 .38/44 Heavy Duty to go with it....

Site Supporter
    SCSW says that serial number left the factory during the 1957-1958 time frame.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List