Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: M65-3 3"

Site Supporter
    First, the strain screws for SB and RB guns are different. If you need one for a RB, I think I have one somewhere, PM me.

Second, replace the mainspring with the factory one (you show one in the pictures) and try it again. That should cure any problems with light strikes.

Third, if the strain screw on your wife's gun wasn't screwed in all the way originally and you screwed it in all the way when you reinstalled it, it's normal that the trigger pull feels heavier. When a revolversmith wants to lighten the trigger pull on an S&W K, L, or N frame, s/he shortens the strain screw to get the desired effect and screws the strain screw all the way in. Simply backing off on the strain screw is considered a bad practice. If your wife feels the trigger pull is too heavy with the strain screw all the way in, and there's a factory mainspring in the gun, try replacing it with the Wolff mainspring from your gun.

ETA: @Malamute - Coke!

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    First, the strain screws for SB and RB guns are different. If you need one for a RB, I think I have one somewhere, PM me.

ETA: @Malamute - Coke!
    Thanks for the offer but I ordered one for a round butt last night. I only removed the screw from the square but in order to compare it with the others. It is longer of course but I noticed that it is tapered on the end where the other two are not.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've got three S&Ws that I sent through the S&W Performance Center for their "Combat Revolver" package. They all got the Wolff mainspring installed by the PC, and they've all been 100%. If the gun runs as is, I wouldn't mess with it. Note that there are two flavors of that mainspring, standard power and reduced power. The reduced power often gives light strikes when shooting DA.
    I think I will try the Wolff standard power spring with a brand new strain screw first. If I am still having issues then I'll switch back to the factory spring.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I think I will try the Wolff standard power spring with a brand new strain screw first. If I am still having issues then I'll switch back to the factory spring.
    The wolf standard power and a factory strain screw should light off anything you put in it. That said, I’d also stick with the factory weight spring on a .357. The Wolf type 1 will fit the bill. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It appears that the dimple’s been ground off the strain screw.
    Nice catch Stephanie. I ordered a new strain screw for the M65-3. When you compare the new screw with the old screw it is obvious the old screw had been modified by removing the tapered tip.

In the attached picture, the screw on the left is the new one:

Name:  IMG-1035.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  63.3 KB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    It appears that the dimple’s been ground off the strain screw.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Nice catch Stephanie. I ordered a new strain screw for the M65-3. When you compare the new screw with the old screw it is obvious the old screw had been modified by removing the tapered tip.

In the attached picture, the screw on the left is the new one:

Name:  IMG-1035.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  63.3 KB
    I have a snubbie 19-3 that had a trigger pull that seemed rather light. A now-departed gunwriter told me that it was a common trick back in the day for cops to grind off that dimple (he said a common thing at uniform inspection was checking to see if the strain screw was tight, the dimple-grinding was less likely to be picked up). Remembering that, I checked the strain screw and, sure enough, it had been ground flat.

I also installed a factory mainspring.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I have a snubbie 19-3 that had a trigger pull that seemed rather light. A now-departed gunwriter told me that it was a common trick back in the day for cops to grind off that dimple (he said a common thing at uniform inspection was checking to see if the strain screw was tight, the dimple-grinding was less likely to be picked up). Remembering that, I checked the strain screw and, sure enough, it had been ground flat.

I also installed a factory mainspring.
    I noticed the screw in my wife's M64 was ground down as well. I ordered a new one for her pistol too. I left the Wolff standard power spring in mine for now.

very good score, even with the spring discrepancy

I FINALLY was able to get out to the range and fire 100 rounds to test the revolver after replacing the strain screw. Worked like a champ!

I was able to try the Hornady Critical Duty 135gr .357 rounds in it but they did not group well. I will be sticking with the Speer 135gr +P 38 special load. It really likes this round & I get some very nice tight groups. Very manageable recoil as well.

Also, I settled on the Houge Bantam Grip and a nice OWB looped belt holster from Tueller Holsters here in Boise, Idaho.

https://www.tuellerholsters.com/owb-holsters

Name:  IMG_1211.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  65.6 KB

User Tag List