Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Grill Mounted Cameras?

Front Grill Mounted Cameras?

I found a long thread on dash cams and the like, but I'm looking for a front camera that can mount to my grill or bumper. I'm tired of parking, getting out and seeing LOTS of space... edging closer, getting out... etc. Doesn't have to be fancy and if it works with an OEM (Ford) display that would be even better. Most of the ones I've researched that you see on Amazon or various truck websites have terrible reviews.

Thanks!

Does your screen have another input?
    Do you already have a rear camera?
    Where is it? Do you have a front license plate in your state?

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Does your screen have another input?
    Do you already have a rear camera?
    Where is it? Do you have a front license plate in your state?
    No front tags here. I do have a factory backup camera, but have not pulled apart the dash to see what is inside. It's an F150 so they do offer the 360 camera (that I should have opted for when I got it).

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If it's just for parking, use your side mirror as an index. Next time you park where you want to be, see where the bottom edge of your driver's side mirror is in relation to the front of the parking stall. For my Camaro, I have to be careful not to hit the barrier in the front of the stall, and I know once I see the edge of the barrier below my mirror I have about a foot left. With my truck I have about 4 finger widths from the bottom of the mirror to the front of the parking stall to be about the same distance. As long as you're got parking lot markings it is an easily repeatable and consistent low tech way to gauge your distance.

If you just want a tech solution or one that doesn't rely on markings, the ultrasound ones that are the same as the backup sensors are popular for lowered cars. You can mount them under your bumper and get the beep-beep-beep as you get close to touching a curb or parking barrier.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If it's just for parking, use your side mirror as an index. Next time you park where you want to be, see where the bottom edge of your driver's side mirror is in relation to the front of the parking stall. For my Camaro, I have to be careful not to hit the barrier in the front of the stall, and I know once I see the edge of the barrier below my mirror I have about a foot left. With my truck I have about 4 finger widths from the bottom of the mirror to the front of the parking stall to be about the same distance. As long as you're got parking lot markings it is an easily repeatable and consistent low tech way to gauge your distance.

If you just want a tech solution or one that doesn't rely on markings, the ultrasound ones that are the same as the backup sensors are popular for lowered cars. You can mount them under your bumper and get the beep-beep-beep as you get close to touching a curb or parking barrier.
    Thank you but I think that would only work if I parked in the same spot all the time. I’m looking for a solution to parking anywhere. Parking garages, lots with walls in front of the space, spaces with cars ahead or parallel spaces. The nose is so tall it’s deceiving to my eye at least.

For my garage I have a wall mounted sensor that tells me when I’m at the preferred spot. First world problems for sure but it would save me a lot of time and avoid damage.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Thank you but I think that would only work if I parked in the same spot all the time. I’m looking for a solution to parking anywhere. Parking garages, lots with walls in front of the space, spaces with cars ahead or parallel spaces.
    It works for everything but parallel parking or if you're in the last available spot to the left/ driver's side. There's nothing different about a parking stall, a wall, a jersey barrier, etc. Maybe it's something that's easier to demonstrate than explain in text, but I'll take one more swing at it. It does not matter in the slightest what the front of the parking space is.

Park once where you have verified you are the correct distance from the front of the parking stall. It does not matter if the stall is marked with paint, with concrete, a wall, etc. Just put the vehicle the correct distance from the front of the stall.

Now look *under* your driver's side mirror at the front of the stall next to you. The paint line, where the wall meets the floor, where the parking barrier is. What the marker is does not matter in the slightest.

Note the distance in the up and down plane from the bottom edge of your mirror to whatever that marker is. Pretend it's 2 dimensional, like you are drawing a line at the bottom of your mirror then drawing a line at the front of the parking stall next to you on a sheet of paper held vertically. *Not* how far in front of the mirror the mark is, but how much higher the "mirror line" is from the "parking stall line". Now you've got your index. It will always be the same regardless of what the front of the stall is demarcated by.

Visual:

_mirror___[car]
    |
    |
    _________[front of parking stall to your left/base of wall/whatever]

Whatever those two vertical lines measure are your index. As mentioned, for my Camaro the line would be just visible below my mirror to be right, say 0" to 1". With my truck it's about 4 fingers to be perfect.

It works for everything but parallel parking or if you're in the last available spot to the left/ driver's side. There's nothing different about a parking stall, a wall, a jersey barrier, etc. Maybe it's something that's easier to demonstrate than explain in text, but I'll take one more swing at it. It does not matter in the slightest what the front of the parking space is.

Park once where you have verified you are the correct distance from the front of the parking stall. It does not matter if the stall is marked with paint, with concrete, a wall, etc. Just put the vehicle the correct distance from the front of the stall.

Now look *under* your driver's side mirror at the front of the stall next to you. The paint line, where the wall meets the floor, where the parking barrier is. What the marker is does not matter in the slightest.

Note the distance in the up and down plane from the bottom edge of your mirror to whatever that marker is. Pretend it's 2 dimensional, like you are drawing a line at the bottom of your mirror then drawing a line at the front of the parking stall next to you on a sheet of paper held vertically. *Not* how far in front of the mirror the mark is, but how much higher the "mirror line" is from the "parking stall line". Now you've got your index. It will always be the same regardless of what the front of the stall is demarcated by.

Visual:

_mirror___[car]
    |
    |
    _________[front of parking stall to your left/base of wall/whatever]

Whatever those two vertical lines measure are your index. As mentioned, for my Camaro the line would be just visible below my mirror to be right, say 0" to 1". With my truck it's about 4 fingers to be perfect.
    Lol! I appreciate the in depth explanation. But I must be too dense. I don’t get how that works for spaces you’ve never parked in previously.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Lol! I appreciate the in depth explanation. But I must be too dense. I don’t get how that works for spaces you’ve never parked in previously.
    Because your vehicle is always the same length, regardless of where it's parked and you're parking against a parallel line that is the same for both your stall and the stall next to you, or wall, or whatever. This allows you to measure how much of your vehicle is in front of you in relation to the front edge of the parking area by indexing a visual cue to your left. Just try it once and you'll see.

Because your vehicle is always the same length, regardless of where it's parked and you're parking against a parallel line that is the same for both your stall and the stall next to you, or wall, or whatever. This allows you to measure how much of your vehicle is in front of you in relation to the front edge of the parking area by indexing a visual cue to your left. Just try it once and you'll see.
    Ok. Tried it and I get it now. Lol! But it doesn’t solve my issue in all situations. Parallel parking, parking garages that have random vertical pipes at the front of some spaces, a family member’s garage, or even a lot where the car in the space ahead is hanging over the line.

So any suggestions for front cameras that work with Ford’s in dash Mav screen would be greatly appreciated. And I’m willing to pay for quality. I saw Alpihe has some in the $350 range.

Thanks!

Did you find anything out on the screen/back side of your system? Can you use a second Ford emblem, back up camera, in the grill emblem place?

User Tag List