Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: David Paulides Missing 411

Paulides cherry picks cases, then cherry picks what facts he presents about those cases and then wraps it up in a layer of sensationalistic and supernatural bullshit.

People do weird stuff when they are lost, frightened, hurt, dehydrated and/or hypothermic. He makes a bunch of hay about bodies who are found years later, outside of the search area and a long way from PLS. Well no shit. If they'd sat down in open area close to the PLS, they would have been found pretty quick.

The shame is, there are some legit issues in all this. Is there a lack of record keeping regarding missing people on public land? Yes. Is there anybody that is keeping track of the larger trends and issues with missing people on public land? No. Could we do a much better job of trend analysis and mitigating risk if we analyzed this data as a whole? Absolutely. Is there a non-trivial possibility that there is an undetected serial killer using public lands as a hunting ground? Yes. It is possible.

But Paulides isn't the person who is going to get those questions addressed.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Haters.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I find the cases he covers interesting. Him, not so much.

I was going to write a long post about professional experience and close-to-the-source observations but I decided to delete. I have even been involved with, and continue to monitor, a "case" that Paulides has commented on.

Basically, what @Lester Polfus said. Dude is a quack with about as much credibility as the high school drop-out selling essential oils on Facebook.

There are a lot of reasons people disappear in the wilderness but diving into those reasons and the contexts of those situations doesn't dramatize, or sell, well.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I was going to write a long post about professional experience and close-to-the-source observations but I decided to delete. I have even been involved with, and continue to monitor, a "case" that Paulides has commented on.

Basically, what @Lester Polfus said. Dude is a quack with about as much credibility as the high school drop-out selling essential oils on Facebook.

There are a lot of reasons people disappear in the wilderness but diving into those reasons and the contexts of those situations doesn't dramatize, or sell, well.
    And yet essential oils have definite benefits, despite the fact I generally will not use or recommend them.

Without going into details your point has no substance, other than to just add a 'me too' for good measure.

Site Supporter
    I've never heard of this Paulides guy, but part of my attraction to hiking is the element of forced self-reliance. My life view is that I'm responsible for me, and if I get in a jam, chances are that I'll have to get myself out.

Last summer I went to a wilderness area in CO that was pretty far afield for me. I bought one of the Garmin satellite gadgets. It made it easy for my wife and daughters to track me and made me more comfy about hiking outside the southeastern US. Admittedly, this device somewhat lessens my degree of forced self reliance, but I'll trade some philosophical consistencey for a marginal increase in the likelihood of surviving until my children are adults.

Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales is a worthwhile read.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Without going into details your point has no substance, other than to just add a 'me too' for good measure.
    The question in the OP was
    Do you discount these reports for your personal life or do those black swan incidents motivate you to take extra precautions?
    Everyone has answered that in some way, i.e. "No, I don't worry about this stuff" or "I don't put any stock in Paulides sensationalism". You're defending Paulides reports and fraud without substance.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Is the central idea that people disappear, ergo Sasquatch?

It seems to me that are a number of more probable and actionable hypotheses one could take, such as lack of self-reliance training of youth, the importance of the buddy system, making basic first aid/CPR/stop the bleed training mandatory high school stuff, further research into how prevalent psycho/sociopathy really is, applications of drone and machine learning systems for patrolling vast swathes of land, etc.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Is the central idea that people disappear, ergo Sasquatch?

It seems to me that are a number of more probable and actionable hypotheses one could take, such as lack of self-reliance training of youth, the importance of the buddy system, making basic first aid/CPR/stop the bleed training mandatory high school stuff, further research into how prevalent psycho/sociopathy really is, applications of drone and machine learning systems for patrolling vast swathes of land, etc.
    There's a disconnect in the thinking (maybe I should write it as "thinking") that clings to UFOs, Bigfoot, JFK conspiracies, and colon cleansing.
    A denial of Occam's Razor foremost, and a tendency to attribute to malice when stupidity will surely answer.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    There's a disconnect in the thinking (maybe I should write it as "thinking") that clings to UFOs, Bigfoot, JFK conspiracies, and colon cleansing.
    A denial of Occam's Razor foremost, and a tendency to attribute to malice when stupidity will surely answer.
    And yet none of those things can reliably be disproven, just because they sound 'phony', anymore than they can easily be proven. UFO's are a thing, which I've seen with my own eyes and someone close to me. How do you explain them with stupidity? Colon cleansing (coffee enemas) are literally life savers, which I have again seen first hand save lives of those close to me.

User Tag List