Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Handgun Carousel Ride, Intervention Needed!

I've redone this about half a dozen times, forgive me if it's a bit disjointed.

In regards to the Hk LEM, it works for me. I also shoot a fair amount. Over the last 9ish years of shooting LEM, I have about 50k logged. In general, the longest time between shooting is a week. With that said, I don't know if it's "hard" to stay proficient, because I shoot frequently.

For me, shooting fast <.25 is not difficult, I also could care less about splits. Every feral animal I have put down was not in the same spot .15 seconds prior. Only hits count, right?

Currently in good shape to win a bowling pin league against users of $2k guns. Why? Because they can't hit a bowling pin at 9 yards under pressure. I'm hitting faster with a sub compact LEM carry gun. Again, it works for me, I have confidence in it and I am mildly proficient with it. Now, the other shooters may have some issues, be it physical, visual, mental focus, etc. that prevent them from shooting better. However, in my opinion, when you invest heavily (time, money, energy,) into an activity, it shows a desire to be good. It doesn't matter that you have a 2lb trigger and can split .12 if you can't hit the target. The lack of ability is especially enlightening after the virtues of their new trigger shape, spring job, action enhancement, low power factor ammo, etc. have been shared with me. Guess it's not the gun.

Buy a shot timer and a stack of NRA B8c, and log everything. Choose standard drills and compare.

Also you asked, so here are my reasons for sticking with Hk and LEM:

Maintenance schedule:
    -25k on recoil assembly
    -passed the 2k challenge multiple times

Stepped chamber:
    -tolerance for filth
    -tolerance for slightly out of spec rounds
    -helps center the round in the chamber

Mag reliability:
    -never worn out a mag
    -never scrapped a mag

Accuracy:
    Lockup consistency
    - no first round flier syndrome
    - Generally can shoot >95pts on a B8 at 25 yards freestyle using irons.

LEM:
    - allows hammer block
    - ability to see my trigger press without tactile feedback. For example, when fingers are gloved /cold / numb.

Paddle release.

Grip texture is sufficient for CC.

Ambi Slide release size.

P2000sk specific:
    -Front strap bump acts as "recoil lug" for ME.
    -Grip length works well AIWB for my 28 inch waist.
    - Large trigger guard allows for gloves.
    -Size allows for carry under heavy, bulky garments.
    Taking a break from social media.

A year ago, I owned over 30 handguns. Only one or two were ever carried during that year, so half of them are gone. My mission is self defense. The area I roam is relatively free of dangerous people, so I’ve mostly carried a S&W 686+, and a J frame to go along with it. I don’t go to crazy places at crazy times, and don’t plan to apprehend anyone. I keep one revolver in my pant pocket, and can easily keep my hand on it while pumping gas, or if someone suspicious approaches me (never happens).

Easy button, but....

Last year, I cost my team the win at GSSF because I wasn't sufficiently current on my G19.

I promised my buddy (the team captain) that in the next year, I would devote myself to nothing but 9mm Glocks.

After a year of dedicated practice, I'm easily better than I was when diluting effort with various makes and models.

I made that promise in part to apologize for tubing the match, but it had the benefit of making me work harder on fundamentals, rather than trying a hardware solution.

Quote Originally Posted by gruntjim View Post
    Last year, I cost my team the win at GSSF because I wasn't sufficiently current on my G19.

I promised my buddy (the team captain) that in the next year, I would devote myself to nothing but 9mm Glocks.

After a year of dedicated practice, I'm easily better than I was when diluting effort with various makes and models.

I made that promise in part to apologize for tubing the match, but it had the benefit of making me work harder on fundamentals, rather than trying a hardware solution.
    Did you stick with the 19 for a year or just 9mm Glocks ?

Chiefly the 19, though the team captain talked me into using a 26 for another division match.

All my best friends are enablers.

Isn't HammerStriker a prominent Youtuber? He has to buy new guns all the time in order to make fresh videos.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    How did finally get off of this carousel ride? What action did you pick and why?
    Just think about all the money you wasted, that kept me from ever being tempted

though I own a little of this and that, basically the only handguns I shoot or carry are 9mm glocks machined for red dots.

My life is way easier, i have a ton of mags, im frankly never gonna be good enough that the gun will be the limiting factor.

I haven't bought a new handgun in 2 years, and that was a gen 3 frame for a slide I had been using to tinker with dots at the time. before that I can't even remember.

Is the CZ P01 "snappy" to me because of the way my hand "fits" the grip?

Thank you to everyone for sharing their journeys. It does make me feel a little better that I am not the only one who has gotten stuck on the carousel. Lots of experience and knowledge here. I am NOT a collector, when I buy a pistol I sell one to make room/recoup funds. I've been fighting the urge to purchase the H&K LEM P2000, but am intrigued by the trigger/action.

Instead of dropping the dough on the H&K LEM, I spent some time dry firing my pistols yesterday.

I made a few observations after doing several reps with the PX4 and P01, before switching to the Glock 19:

1. My point of aim was off with the G19 after doing reps with the CZ P01 and PX4. The difference in grip angle had me pointing the front sight of the G19 too high, it took a conscious effort to correct this the first few presentations with the Glock.

2. I really like how compact the G19 is, yet the grip--at least on the Gen 3--is nice and chunky. This allows for a solid purchase on the pistol with room for my support hand. I have posted before that the P01 is a snappy pistol. Last night I noticed that my support hand really doesn't touch the side grip panel of the P01. The P01 has ergonomics that "feel" good, but my right/strong hand takes up all the real estate leaving no room for my support hand. I end up just smoosh my right had fingers with my support hand. When I shoot the G19 I'm always amazed by how light and compact it is, yet not much recoil/muzzle flip. When I shoot the P01 I am always puzzled at how so many rave about what a "soft shooting" pistol it is.

3. The PX4 (Full size) has the nicest trigger of the bunch and its controls are out of the way. The Glocks controls are obviously a non-issue/very tucked away. The P01s de-cocker is easier to actuate than the PX4's, but the P01s de-cocker lever and slide stop release tend to interfere with my grip. I use the standard thumbs forward grip. On the P01 my support hand thumb (I have long thumbs lol) rides along the CZ's slide release, while my strong side thumb wraps around the de-cocking lever (I grip the pistol high). I don't notice the CZs controls under live fire, but wonder if not being able to get as good grip on this pistol is making it feel more "snappy" than the G19.

I have the biggest emotional attachment to the P01, I've owned it the longest and think it is the "coolest" of the bunch. With that said, the G19/PX4 allow my support had to aid my strong hand in mitigating muzzle flip...I think? How important is it to factor this into choosing the pistol to focus on?

Bonus Question: Has anyone ever pinched their strong hand middle finger in the H&K P2000s paddle-style mag release? This happed to me a few times at the range during reloads... I've heard of "Glock Knuckle" but never "H&K pinch"!
    Last edited by HammerStriker; 05-14-2022 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Just think about all the money you wasted, that kept me from ever being tempted

though I own a little of this and that, basically the only handguns I shoot or carry are 9mm glocks machined for red dots.

My life is way easier, i have a ton of mags, im frankly never gonna be good enough that the gun will be the limiting factor.

I haven't bought a new handgun in 2 years, and that was a gen 3 frame for a slide I had been using to tinker with dots at the time. before that I can't even remember.
    This right there. For me it's a different gun, but same thought: I've wasted too much time and money switching guns. The one I have is excellent, and I will never exceed its inherent accuracy. All I really need is time, training, and ammo

And a revolver to go with it.

D'oh!
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Isn't HammerStriker a prominent Youtuber? He has to buy new guns all the time in order to make fresh videos.
    So do you think we are being trolled ?

I’m not sure the OP is the same person as the YT personality. The OP is in CA and the YT personality has videos shooting suppressed pistols

YT channel:

https://m.youtube.com/c/HammerStriker/videos
    Last edited by HCM; 05-14-2022 at 02:26 PM.

User Tag List