Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Handgun Carousel Ride, Intervention Needed!

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    The default hardware answer is two Glock 19s. The default software answer is that making the commitment is more important than what you commit to. Any quality pistol will suffice.

I have only carried Glocks and and a J frame, but I have a high level of curiosity about other platforms. I would be a better shooter if I bought fewer pistols and more ammo.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
    I could have written this post. I have ran to the latest and greatest and gone with whatever the talk on the forums are for the week. I have wasted so much time and money chasing the perfect gun. Ive tried to buy proficiency what I have failed at is putting in the work. I always come back to Glocks and J frames and that is where I am now and hopefully will be for a bit. I can take each of them apart and reassemble with out much fuss and I find each of them to be a reliable platform. I find anything smaller than a 19 Im better with a j frame because I have also liked snubs so Ive put the work in with them to become adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    How'd you land on striker-fired as your preferred action? I'm kind of leaning towards picking the HK LEM system as my "serious" platform. I have never owned a LEM or HK before....would this be a bad choice? Is going DA/SA or striker better? Around and around I go...
    Understand that, for most professional users, that choice is normally made for them by having a gun issued or a limited pool of approved weapons. From 1999-2014, I was required/only authorized to carry a .40 caliber Gen3 Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by claymore504 View Post
    I will start with I just plain love guns in general. Some view as tools and nothing more and I get it, but that is not me.

I went through this for years a while back. When I first got into handguns, I went all Glock only. This was during the Gen 3 years. I could not shoot them good at all, but refused to try anything else. I learned the grip was actually too big for my hand a few years later.
    And I would likely still be toting my 20+ year old G23 (now w/9mm conversion barrel), except that towards the end of that 15-year stretch I also discovered that the Glock was just a tad too big for my hand, and became really cognizant of the difference between "fit" and "feel". The guns I own that "fit" my hand best are a Ruger SP101 and a Kahr K9. Neither of which are suitable duty guns. I can't reliably reach the decockers on most DA/SA guns. I'm now using a P250C w/Wilson grip module in uniform (with an identical trainer) and 1911's or a Hi-Power in soft clothes. So, for now it is DAO or SAO.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Timers and targets don't lie.
    This.

I went through about a dozen pistols over a two-year period several years ago. I learned that I couldn't get a clear understanding of any pistol until I had shot it about 500 rounds, and that I couldn't compare results unless I shot the same drills with each pistol. For me, that was The Test, The Humbler, El Presidente, the Hack Drills, 1-5, and slow-fire at 25, 50, and 100 yards.

I also learned that I shot everything pretty well out to about 15 yards, that I shot a few pistols better on one drill than another, and that I shot the Glock the most consistently. Average group size was a bit bigger but I didn't throw as many flyers with it and I didn't throw them as far.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    That you live in CA makes the choice easy. Take the HK or Beretta PX4 CC or if you can shoot it, a G26. Their CA complaint OEM mags are proven to be reliable. Not sure about the CZ mags. The CA version G19 mags are not reliable. I would, if you have the needed time and ammo, develop a realistic (for your needs) list of pistol capabilities and attributes, performance standards and then shoot the PX4, HK, and G26 on the timer using a ealistic (for your needs) CoF before making the choice. Would a J frame/LCR cover your needs? All of the pistols you mentioned (with reliable mags) will work and are mechanically accurate. Choose one pistil and train. With effective training you will gain proficiency with whatever you choose.
    In CA use the magpul 10 rounders with jhp

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    @HammerStriker

To be blunt, and I say this because I do this same thing over and over again, you aren’t being honest with yourself about what you “shoot best”. Unless you’re gifted naturally, maybe you get smaller groups at random speeds/targets/distances here and there. But I seriously doubt it’s an honest assessment.
    You “want” to like certain guns because they’re more sexy adds up to nothing. Pick features that actually matter and make sense to your lifestyle, suck it and buy or keep that one. Dry fire for 30 mins 4 times a week. Buy a dry fire book from Stoeger or Anderson. Compete or take a class to get a base on where you’re at skill wise.

Like I’ve said I’m there with you. I want all the guns. I get into a gun and create a reason it’s not as good for me as X or Y gun. Stick to mostly one platform for a large portion of your work and buy whatever you like for fun on the side. Even that 2nd part is unwise but life is short.

Try the m&P. It’s striker fired but has a long take up similar ish to the lem. Eventually you won’t even notice it’s there but you will at first. Safety is optional. If you need Dasa pick a cz or beretta or hk/sig and move on.

I’m a hypocrite as I’m obsessing over a 1911 and a G17 while my m&P is my go to as well as a J frame.

Pick something. Get holsters mags and such. Get books. Set up a dry fire schedule. Take class or compete.

For me the situation gets ugly when I shoot live fire less and less (kids and work make it impossible). You get bored. Boredom and stagnation is bad. Makes you think too much. When I’m shooting more I care much less about other platforms and care more about shooting.
    So true. The more I shoot the more I realize personally a G19/MR920, G43 (sentimental value), and cr920 cover all my social use cases. Buy ammo and a .22 trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    While I kind of subscribe to archer arrow theory, a good arrow helps, as I can attest with my CZ SAO Shadow 2.
    That is not the point of the archer - arrow analogy.

I’m better with a Shadow 2 than a Yeet Cannon.

But I’m better with a Yeet Cannon than most goobers with a Shadow 2.

THAT’s the point of arrow - archer.

Of course the arrow matters. But not as much as skill.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Well.... if you like the DA trigger of revolvers, get a couple of 6956s and call it good.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Yeet Cannon
    I noticed that one of the guns that Prison-Break Barbie bought was a Yeet Cannon.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I don’t have much to add here. I’m still convinced that when the question is what handgun, the default answer is Glock 19.

Glocks are fairly unforgiving about trigger mechanics and grip. Which is not necessarily a bad thing if you want to learn and improve.

This is a little hypocritical because I own 4 ProGrade CZ P-07s and only one G19 that I haven’t carried for years.

Also: fuck California. If you’re stuck with the List, that limits your choices and may make replacements difficult or impossible. I’d recommend owning multiple of your chosen gun.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I don’t have much to add here. I’m still convinced that when the question is what handgun, the default answer is Glock 19.

Glocks are fairly unforgiving about trigger mechanics and grip. Which is not necessarily a bad thing if you want to learn and improve.
    My issue with Glocks for training as opposed to a DASA is the lack of dry follow up trigger presses with wall and break.

That can be overcome with a Glock Store reset trigger or a SIRT.

User Tag List