Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: The Handgun Carousel Ride, Intervention Needed!

As many others have suggested in this thread, I think the OP needs to buy a shot timer, a few hundred B-8 targets, a bunch of ammo, and get to work. The rest will work itself out.

I still have my Fanner 50.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I'm 76 years old. I hopped on the Carousel sometime in the distant past. You can't get off.

I think it started with my first cap pistol and then I moved to the better Fanner 50 then a Stallion 45 and it hasn't stopped since.

Enjoy your ride.
    The cylinder actually turned unlike some of the other cap pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    Has anyone else been on and endless quest to find the perfect pistol?

How did finally get off of this carousel ride?

What action did you pick and why?
    1. Yes, I have.

2. Short answer: I aged-out, and ran out of money. Sooner or later, high-volume shooting hurts. Starting about 2019/2020, high-volume shooting became too expensive. It takes much ammo, to vet a pistol, and even more to dial-in my skill level.

3. Short answer: Revolving pistols, of course. Why? A few specific revolvers just fit right. My accuracy potential is best, with a few of those several specific revolvers.

Actually, I use some few autos, too. 9mm Glocks, with full-duty-sized grips, are useful, mostly for orthopedic reasons; they are not painful to shoot. The Glock system itself, was something that I chose as the apparent least-bad option, among several duty pistol options, after my employer decided to narrow-down what had been a fairly wide-open duty pistol policy. I later switched to a P229, for better accuracy, in my hands, but I later returned to Glock, after my chief OK’ed 9mm to be an alternative duty cartridge. I wanted to switch to the lower bore axis of the Glock, at the same time I switched to 9mm.

I could never shoot a G19 as well as I could shoot a G17. I never noticed a difference in concealment ability, between the two, carrying at my usual right hip position, so, I normally toted the G17. When the “compact” Glocks became painful to shoot, I sold/traded them away. I soon realized that the G26 still had some valuable niche roles, so, when availablity resumed, during the panic-demic times, I bought a new Gen3 G26, and then a nicely-preserved Gen4 G26. These replace the Gen4 G26 that I had sold. I will only be shooting them with my healthier left hand.

I still own other pistols, but use them only occasionally, and they are irrelevant to the discussion parameters.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Very interesting thread. Here are a few of my thoughts based on my 10 years of trial & error & epiphanies during my own carousel ride.

Many of us get into handguns because we find them a fascinating challenge to master. That is, generally speaking, handguns are difficult to shoot accurately until you understand and can consistently apply proper fundamentals. During many of our journeys toward becoming proficient, or better, we often seek out the next hardware solution, believing that a different action or size or configuration will streamline our path towards mastery. While this is rarely the case, I enjoyed my trials & tribulations with various handguns, ranging from M&P9FS (SFA) to the HK P30 LEM to the SIG SP2022 (DA/SA) to the Glock 19/17 (SFA).

I say I enjoyed my trials & tribulations because I came to realize that my shooting skill did not increase or decrease based on selecting any given handgun. Seems silly for me to write those words now, but at the time that this dawned on me, it was truly an epiphany. And it cemented in my mind the power and importance of proper fundamentals. Equally important, my understanding of the various firing mechanisms, and their pros & cons, definitely deepened, which satisfied my yearning for broad exposure to all things having to do with operating a modern handgun.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that most of us need to, or should, go through the carousel ride for a few years, or at least until we experience some of these epiphanies. Others can tell us about their experience along the way, but some of us really need to live it in order to buy into it.

All that said, my current favorite flavor is the 9mm Glock, particularly G17.3. I no longer treat handguns as a fetish, as I once did; I treat them as tools or recreation. I prefer such an item to be reliable, easy to operate, easy to disassemble/reassemble, easy to work on & repair, and so plentiful and comparatively inexpensive to replace that I won't lose much sleep if it becomes worn during it's lifetime. A simple but highly effective tool. Hard to beat the G17. Yes, I daydream occasionally about other handguns, but I never take action on it.....lately.

Back before the Gunternet days, we just used to dryfire DA guns until our hands cramped up. If you're shooting a DA/SA, I'd say 95% of your trigger presses should be in DA.

And don't worry about the hitch between the two modes...just let off the trigger and roll back on. If it's 8-pounds DA and 4-pounds SA, you won't notice the difference if you just roll on the trigger and through the break.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Back before the Gunternet days, we just used to dryfire DA guns until our hands cramped up. If you're shooting a DA/SA, I'd say 95% of your trigger presses should be in DA.

And don't worry about the hitch between the two modes...just let off the trigger and roll back on. If it's 8-pounds DA and 4-pounds SA, you won't notice the difference if you just roll on the trigger and through the break.
    One of the top SWAT schools in the late 80s-90s was here in town, and all students for the SWAT and DOE Firearms Instructors Courses were issued 4506s and expected to master double taps and failure drills DA/SA without additional manipulations. A couple thousand rounds over a couple of weeks and you mastered it or did the duffle bag drag back home with a whole bunch of excuses about why you got a Certificate of Attendance rather than a Certificate of Completion....

In my academy the 65+% of us who chose Sig P229s rather than Glock 23s (1/3 of the class) or Beretta Cougars (0% of the class, but an option) had...zero problems after about 1K rounds and a week of live fire.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post

9mm Glocks, with full-duty-sized grips, are useful, mostly for orthopedic reasons; they are not painful to shoot. The Glock system itself, was something that I chose as the apparent least-bad option, among several duty pistol options, after my employer decided to narrow-down what had been a fairly wide-open duty pistol policy. I later switched to a P229, for better accuracy, in my hands, but I later returned to Glock, after my chief OK’ed 9mm to be an alternative duty cartridge. I wanted to switch to the lower bore axis of the Glock, at the same time I switched to 9mm.

I could never shoot a G19 as well as I could shoot a G17. I never noticed a difference in concealment ability, between the two, carrying at my usual right hip position, so, I normally toted the G17. When the “compact” Glocks became painful to shoot, I sold/traded them away. I soon realized that the G26 still had some valuable niche roles, so, when availablity resumed, during the panic-demic times, I bought a new Gen3 G26, and then a nicely-preserved Gen4 G26. These replace the Gen4 G26 that I had sold. I will only be shooting them with my healthier left hand.
    To add, just a bit, to the above, one thing that happened, between the first Glocks that I used, from 2002 to 2004, and when I returned to Glocks, in 2015, is that the Gen4 G17 Glocks fit my hands MUCH better than the Gen3 G22 Glocks I had used, the first time ‘round. (The “baby” Gen3 and Gen4 Glocks both seem OK, in my hands.) My first transition to Glock, in 2002, was reluctant, and driven by PD policy. I was only too glad to get rid of them, after moving to SIG. Plus, the triggers on the Gen4 seemed nicer, though in the interim 11 years, I may have mis-remembered something. Notably, the Gen3 G26, that I recently bought, has a wonderfully clean trigger stroke, perhaps the best in any Glock I have ever bought.

I seem to recall that the newer Glock generations, after Gen3, are not CA-compliant, which is important to the OP’s situation. That is why I wanted to add this information, especially regarding the trigger pull, in my Gen3 G26.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Some progress!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and for sharing their experiences. After fighting the urger for several days, I was able to avoid purchasing the P2000 LEM. My technique has been to grab one of the pistols I own and start dry firing it every time I begin thinking of buying a new pistol! LOL...so far it is working! When I get the itch to look at a new pistol, I go into my safe, grab one of the pistols I already own and dry fire practice! I am trying to recondition myself to focus on improving my shooting rather than chasing the perfect pistol. I'm still not decided on which pistol I will focus on as my primary handgun that will receive the bulk of investment in time and money, but am leaning towards my G19 or CZ P01. I would like to get one of the slides milled for an optic. I've already decided it we be either the p01 or the G19 that I primarily focus on, so one of those two will get the optic cut.

If I mill the G19, it will receive either the Holosun 407c or the Holosun 508t. If I mill the P01 it will receive the Holosun 407K. I'm kind of at a fork in the road here, any feedback on the aforementioned combination would be greatly appreciated. I should also mention I have zero red dot experience other than on a friend's AR15. I know I want the dot, just not sure which pistol to put it on.
    NOT the YouTuber by the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their feedback and for sharing their experiences. After fighting the urger for several days, I was able to avoid purchasing the P2000 LEM. My technique has been to grab one of the pistols I own and start dry firing it every time I begin thinking of buying a new pistol! LOL...so far it is working! When I get the itch to look at a new pistol, I go into my safe, grab one of the pistols I already own and dry fire practice! I am trying to recondition myself to focus on improving my shooting rather than chasing the perfect pistol. I'm still not decided on which pistol I will focus on as my primary handgun that will receive the bulk of investment in time and money, but am leaning towards my G19 or CZ P01. I would like to get one of the slides milled for an optic. I've already decided it we be either the p01 or the G19 that I primarily focus on, so one of those two will get the optic cut.

If I mill the G19, it will receive either the Holosun 407c or the Holosun 508t. If I mill the P01 it will receive the Holosun 407K. I'm kind of at a fork in the road here, any feedback on the aforementioned combination would be greatly appreciated. I should also mention I have zero red dot experience other than on a friend's AR15. I know I want the dot, just not sure which pistol to put it on.
    G19. Here's why:

Most aftermarket support for any handgun. Especially gen3.

Probably the most red dot options and aftermarket slides of any handgun.

All the best holster and gear options are made for this platform.

G19 gen3 has 36 parts. P01 has roughly 63 parts and is far more complex.

G19 can be fully detail stripped with a single tool in 1-2 minutes. P01 needs a punch, screwdriver, and quite a bit more time.

Any maintenance or component replacement will never take you more than 5 minutes, except the first few times. You become your own armorer and it's really easy.

Ultimately, the G19 will remove all possible excuses or "opportunities" that would normally get in the way of skill acquisition.

Not necessarily the most comfortable or easiest gun to shoot. Not necessarily the best trigger. Just the "Toyota Corolla" you need to get you where you want to go with minimal fuss.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    G19. Here's why:

Most aftermarket support for any handgun. Especially gen3.

Probably the most red dot options and aftermarket slides of any handgun.

All the best holster and gear options are made for this platform.

G19 gen3 has 36 parts. P01 has roughly 63 parts and is far more complex.

G19 can be fully detail stripped with a single tool in 1-2 minutes. P01 needs a punch, screwdriver, and quite a bit more time.

Any maintenance or component replacement will never take you more than 5 minutes, except the first few times. You become your own armorer and it's really easy.

Ultimately, the G19 will remove all possible excuses or "opportunities" that would normally get in the way of skill acquisition.

Not necessarily the most comfortable or easiest gun to shoot. Not necessarily the best trigger. Just the "Toyota Corolla" you need to get you where you want to go with minimal fuss.
    No shortage of aftermarket trigger options either.

User Tag List