Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Handgun Carousel Ride, Intervention Needed!

My only semi-intelligent thought: yes, a G19 is the easy button...

unless you want a hammer fired DA/SA (if you subscribe to the DB school [which I do]), then go for the CZ P07 or a Beretta PX4CC.

Dang it, I just told you to ride merry-go-round.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Been on this ride since I started getting into being more proficient with a handgun. At the end of the day, practice matters way more than the gun you use. I’ve outshot my friends with Gucci glocks and red dots with my factory sighted M9A1. That gun was also the only gun I carried for about a year, and the gun I fired the most rounds through in that time frame (about 1 year).

I went g19 to M&p 9 to g17 to beretta 92 to g17 to m9a1. Money constraints drove my choices previously, which made the glock a great option. Now that money is less of an issue, I own way too many handguns and have not trained on one single gun in a while, but am planning to do that again to see how good I can get at shooting. Good luck to you!

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguybryan View Post
    Been on this ride since I started getting into being more proficient with a handgun. At the end of the day, practice matters way more than the gun you use. I’ve outshot my friends with Gucci glocks and red dots with my factory sighted M9A1. That gun was also the only gun I carried for about a year, and the gun I fired the most rounds through in that time frame (about 1 year).

I went g19 to M&p 9 to g17 to beretta 92 to g17 to m9a1. Money constraints drove my choices previously, which made the glock a great option. Now that money is less of an issue, I own way too many handguns and have not trained on one single gun in a while, but am planning to do that again to see how good I can get at shooting. Good luck to you!
    I’m telling ya man, 80/20 is great for that. 80 train, 20 play.

I sometimes think I’d be an order of magnitude better as a shooter if all I had been able to afford was a used G19 and a crate of cheap ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I’m telling ya man, 80/20 is great for that. 80 train, 20 play.

I sometimes think I’d be an order of magnitude better as a shooter if all I had been able to afford was a used G19 and a crate of cheap ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100%

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    This garners a great degree of reverence for people's opinions here, moreso than you'll find most other places. If you're not careful, this has a tendency to get one caught up in riding that wave of reverence into new acquistions and an ever-shifting goal post. Not sure if anyone else has coined it but, I'll refer to it as "WHEEL OF PF!". Read a thread, get pumped about some new concept from an SME. Then you're off to the races with some new gadget that'll send you down a rabbit hole for months or years. This can be a fun and gratifying experience, but you have to modulate that along with your baseline skill acquisition and maintenance. If a person has trouble modulating that, make boring choices (aka Glock 19) and avoid spinning that wheel.
    Get out of my head.

I find it funny that this thread exploded because it is a classic "what gun should I use/keep/get" question. I like guns as both a hobby and as a self defense tool. It is perfectly fine to collect them for the hobby side of things. For the self defense side, what you buy should be purpose driven and getting bogged down with things like "this trigger is better in dry fire" or "this feels better when I hold it at the gun store counter" are distractions from making further progress.

Proficiency with LEM is not going to be transferable to other guns like DA/SA or SA. I think it is one of the weirdest feeling trigger pulls you can have, on guns that tend to have really bad resets which is one of the few aspects of pistol trigger pulls that I actually care about.

I would keep it simple- if you REALLY like DA/SA then that's fine, but I personally think it's harder to keep up my skills with even a really well tuned DA/SA versus a Glock. I think shooting Glocks translates to other similar striker fired guns so I feel comfortable switching between them, but I don't think I will ever go back to rotating DA/SA guns with partially cocked DAO striker fired guns like Glocks in my carry rotation. I did it before and it just makes me feel less confident.

Finally, I think people dislike Glocks because they're "boring" - you can modify the shit out of them and they will run. Make a Roland(ish) special and I bet you will be more sold on the platform.

Pistol don’t matter a lot as long as you choose a decent one. Everything you’ve mentioned is at least decent. Pick one. You could probably put the names on cards on a dartboard, blindfold yourself, toss a dart and use the one on the card that got hit and be fine.

But for the next 6 (preferably 12) months live with that one. Shoot it as much as you can. Dry fire it as much as you can. I actually did that several years ago and it made a ton of difference. I can shoot almost anything half decent now but that wasn’t always the case. That year I spent dedicated to one pistol made the difference.

Nowadays I shoot for “serious” and for “fun.” Fun time is time to screw around with weird shit, do whatever I really want. Practice sessions always start and end with serious stuff. It may not be the best way but it keeps me training and let’s me enjoy a hobby I love.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I always come back to Glocks and J frames and that is where I am now and hopefully will be for a bit.
    This is *absolutely* where I am at too, for “proficiency” guns, all the way.

That said, I also have a revolving mountain of “fun” guns on the carousel, because, fuck it: it’s still America, for the moment.
    [/shrug]
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I commented I have jumped off the carousel and sticking with Glocks and J frames. Last night I was really thinking should I narrow it down further? I carry a J frame during the week to work. I carry a 19 most of the time away from work. Last night I was getting ready to attend a local defensive pistol match tomorrow. I brought out my 34 and realized I really like the defoor all black sight picture. Tomorrow will only be my second match and I dont think it matters which gun I shoot at this point its a learning process. I then wondered why am I shooting my 34 when my 19 is the gun I carry the most. Should I remove the dim glock night sights on my 19 and just go defoors on it? I bought a 26 recently with HDs and am sure at some point it may be come a gun I carry as it heats up. While Ive simplified it to Glocks Im still focused on stuff and gadgets. I thought of putting defoors on all 3 and call it done. I have also thought of putting HDs on the 19 and only carrying it and shooting it matches and practice. One day Ill quit flip flopping and put in the work and that will be the day I improve.

I prefer a consistent trigger, Glock or 1911.
    My EDC is a gen 5 Glock 17 or 22 - I'm not under a 10 round magazine limit and I get to dress as I choose.
    If I were under a 10 round limit or if limited by work attire I'd be more likely to go Sig 365.

DA revolver has a consistent trigger, but I'm not a revolver fan and prefer greater capacity than 5-6 rounds in my primary carry.
    A DA revolver (snub) might be okay as a "back-up" (2nd gun) but I carry that in my weak hand front pocket; DA snub trigger in my weak (non-dominant) hand - no thanks.
    One hand weak hand (my left) a Glock 43 or Sig 365 is preferred, with Kahr PM9 falling into "better than nothing" territory, consistent trigger regardless.
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

User Tag List