Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USMC Barrett Mk.22

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

USMC Barrett Mk.22

Select-a-size, four rifles in one!

I don't know how the logistics of that work; how far along do they bring all of that stuff before deciding on which barrel to install?

(Different size barrels... matching purses and shoes?)
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 05-11-2022 at 07:39 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

I don't know how the logistics of that work; how far along do they bring all of that stuff before deciding on which barrel to install?

The Army would issue the full sets to a brigade-level command, where a staff guy would decide which barrel to issue the troops based on a flawed understanding of the unit and its mission plus the gaping hole in his OER that landed him in a staff slot. The troops would only see the full set in training. For everything else, they will be issued just enough to put rounds downrange, while the rest of the kit lives in the battalion arms room where the staff officers can inventory it more easily. Between inventories, generations of armorers will coonfigner the sets and break little parts when nobody is looking.

The staff guy's decision would become part of the brigade SOP, which would then be dictated to subordinate units. 25% of the staff changes every year (including the staff guy) and the world gets a new set of dictators with new ideas but the SOP will remain static and the troops will use the barrel stipulated in the SOP until it wears out.

And no matter how badly the Army screws things up, it will be worse for the Marines.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

The A6 model began fielding in 2016. It is built by Winchester.
    Is Winchester a real company building rifles or is that just a typo? I thought it was just a brand name for rifles built by Herstal and Miroku.

I told my neighbor (an old timer) that his new Win. 70 was built in Spain by a Belgium company and he wouldn't talk to me for a week. Shoulda just left it alone.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-11-2022 at 08:13 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...iper-platoons/

According to this article, Remington won the contract for the chassis to upgrade the M40A5 to M40A6. The M40’s are built on Remington 700 actions. So Winchester is not involved.
    Last edited by DamonL; 05-11-2022 at 08:33 PM.

Last edited by DamonL; 05-11-2022 at 08:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...iper-platoons/

According to this article, Remington won the contract for the chassis to upgrade the M40A5 to M40A6. The M40’s are built on Remington 700 actions. So Winchester is not involved.
    I don’t know who is worse regarding details of weapons, task and purpose or any of the various military times spinoffs.

Site Supporter

For operational use these guns will primarily be used in the 338 and 300 Norma mag depending on mission requirements.

The 7.62 barrels are primarily training tools due to logistics. 7.62 NATO, even in match loadings is significantly cheaper than the Norma magnum ammo, it has a much longer barrel life and most DOD ranges can safely accommodate 7.62 NATO. Training with 7.62 also saves barrel life on the Norma Magnum barrels.

Having a 338 Norma Magnum sniper rifle is great until range control tells you that you can’t shoot it on any of the ranges at your base because the surface danger area is insufficient.

I I’m guessing but it’s likely the 300 Winchester magnum barrels are also due to logistics. The Marine Corps adopted their version of the MK 13 in 2018 and likely have a large stockpile of 300 Winchester magnum ammo acquired with those rifles.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-11-2022 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Then you get deployed and all of a sudden it's a 300 rifle and the ballistics are different.
    That could happen.

But for every sniper, there are dozens of Dedicated Marksmen plying the trade at 50-60% of classic sniping ranges. This rifle serves both roles, so ignoring the upside of the 7.62x51 NATO is a mistake. Most of our allies live in space-constrained areas like western Europe, developed Asia, etc. We have people stationed with them, and we have people stationed in our own space-constrained areas like the northeastern US. The 7.62 NATO can be used in existing training facilities in those spaces, so shooters can train with their units, so small-unit leaders gain experience integrating snipers, DMs, and other combined arms support into how they fight. (FWIW, the Ukrainians are better at this than the Russians.)

Commanders can give their people flat-shooting magnums by swapping parts, but that comes from changing tactics at the theater level, which affects entire units, not just the snipers and DMs. This rifle makes that change possible.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I'm not a sniper, but in one of the videos I linked, it shows Kevin Owens confirming zero, changing calibers, then changing back. The changing back to original caliber showed only a slight change in zero. I think he made one click of adjustment. So I think it shows once he confirms zero for each caliber, he is going to have a pretty good idea of where he is hitting. What is really cool is the Kestrel Ballistic Computer he used has pre-programmed info for the SOCOM loads and rifles. So using the Kestrel, he can calculate adjustments for each caliber for different distances.
    Last edited by DamonL; 05-12-2022 at 09:01 AM.

In one of the videos, he states the intent is for 300 norma to be anti-personnel, 338 is anti-material, and 7.62 is for training ranges with caliber restrictions. as mentioned already.

User Tag List