Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USMC Barrett Mk.22

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    What is really cool is the Kestrel Ballistic Computer he used has pre-programmed info for the SOCOM loads and rifles. So using the Kestrel, he can calculate adjustments for each caliber for different distances.
    Let's take it a step further. Snipers work in pairs: the more experienced guy reads the wind and monitors the overall situation while the less experienced guy lines everything up and pulls the trigger. That makes the rifle a crew-served piece.

What if the crew's first job is to generate and record baseline data as they test all of the barrels and other components in a given set?

The corrections are manual for now, but edge computing and IoT technology could change that. What if the crew loads that data into the optic, the Kestrel, another device (or a combination of devices), which then store that data and make sight changes in real time based on the situation?

What if that all frees up the shooter to focus on sight alignment and trigger control instead of dialing or holding off? What if the spotter's job becomes to understand and wrangle the flow of new data coming in to the system? What if the system itself makes mechanical changes to the optic based on the the known data?

That's not so different from how we manage artillery and plenty of other non-military stuff...

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

That's not too far fetched.

This is from Sig and their BDX rifle scopes. Don't know how well it works, but has a ballistics calculator in the laser range finder.

https://www.sigsauer.com/bdx-combo-k...5-14x44mm.html

How does BDX work?

The BDX rangefinder and riflescope system is simple, fast, and intuitive. Simply download the “SIG BDX” app available for Android or iOS smartphones, pair the KILO BDX rangefinder and SIERRA3BDX riflescope, set up a basic ballistic profile, and then you’re ready to shoot or hunt. Once you are in the field, range your target as you normally would, and the KILO BDX rangefinder will utilize onboard Applied Ballistics Ultralight™ to instantly send your dope to the scope via Bluetooth. Using your basic ballistic profile the ballistic solution is calculated for your target and will instantly illuminate on the BDX-R1 Digital Ballistic Reticle with windage and elevation holds in the SIERRA3BDX riflescope. A blue LED on the riflescope power selector indicates that the BDX system is paired, and when the reticle has received new ballistic holdover and windage data from the rangefinder.

This is about the Vortex NGWS sight. Its all in one package.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...control-optic/

The combined technology enables the unit to range a target, send the information to an on-board ballistic solver, gather atmospheric information, and display an illuminated Active Reticle with the corrected aimpoint with wind holds in the sight picture. The solution takes tenths of a second and, despite the advanced technology, ease of use was a critical design feature. To provide flexibility in the field the XM157 can be controlled via an on-board keypad or a detachable remote.
    Last edited by DamonL; 05-12-2022 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    You really don't know much about this topic do you? How about we not post opinions about shit we don't know anything about....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JMO. Sorry if that offends. Wasn't meant to get you USMC types worked up.

The USMC decides what weapons they need. Like the Colt M45-A1. Collectors had a great time buying those up from Colt when they put the rejects on GB.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-12-2022 at 07:19 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

To paraphrase the old axiom, amateurs talk guns and professionals talk logistics.
    Man, with all due respect, I’d defer to @rcbusmc24 on this one. He was just immersed in this world. As Company Gunnery Sergeant of an Infantry unit, he is well ​versed in both Marine Corps programs as well as logistics.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Man, with all due respect, I’d defer to @rcbusmc24 on this one. He was just immersed in this world. As Company Gunnery Sergeant of an Infantry unit, he is well ​versed in both Marine Corps programs as well as logistics.
    Uh… I was agreeing with him.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Uh… I was agreeing with him.

Muh bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JMO. Sorry if that offends. Wasn't meant to get you USMC types worked up.

The USMC decides what weapons they need. Like the Colt M45-A1. Collectors had a great time buying those up from Colt when they put the rejects on GB.
    It's not about offending "USMC types".

USMC Scout Snipers are generally not making long range shots, or even a close range framed shot, by using kentucky windage with muscle memory learned on the range. They're using ballistic computers. In the event a ballistic computer goes down, they go back to their dope cards...which are actually notebooks. Everything is meticulously validated and recorded for every possible condition.

So, switching calibers isn't going to have an effect because they are making their adjustments in the field using data sets, not muscle memory hold-overs of the wind drift and bullet drop of a specific caliber. This is the reason that your "complaint" is not an issue in the real world for the last few decades where depending on mission, Scout Snipers have routinely switched not just between calibers but entirely different weapon systems, because your idea of how things are done is simply not how things are done. Here, the USMC is taking advantage to simplify those differences between weapon systems down to one...not making it more complicated.

You would get a much different response from people in almost every technical thread if you instead asked why X, Y, or Z isn't an issue instead of constantly making declarative statements that are almost always wrong. You seem to not understand the distinction between making comments based on substantive knowledge vs baseless inner musings.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-13-2022 at 03:28 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I'm going to try to unfuck this thread. Stand by for posts moved to a place where people can continue to argue if so inclined.

This thread is to discuss the details of the new USMC rifle platform. Let's keep it focused on that, please.

@rcbusmc24 would you be so kind as to lead us in a productive direction?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The Army would issue the full sets to a brigade-level command, where a staff guy would decide which barrel to issue the troops based on a flawed understanding of the unit and its mission plus the gaping hole in his OER that landed him in a staff slot. The troops would only see the full set in training. For everything else, they will be issued just enough to put rounds downrange, while the rest of the kit lives in the battalion arms room where the staff officers can inventory it more easily. Between inventories, generations of armorers will coonfigner the sets and break little parts when nobody is looking.

The staff guy's decision would become part of the brigade SOP, which would then be dictated to subordinate units. 25% of the staff changes every year (including the staff guy) and the world gets a new set of dictators with new ideas but the SOP will remain static and the troops will use the barrel stipulated in the SOP until it wears out.

And no matter how badly the Army screws things up, it will be worse for the Marines.

Okie John
    Respectfully that’s not at all how we are doing it. We’ve had our MK22s for a few months now. My snipers have complete access to the entire kit whenever they want it, the decision making authority on what gets drawn/issued/trained with is not a staff guy at all, it’s the sniper section leader who is an actual experienced SME. I’m going to trust my B4 qualified Paratroopers who eat sleep and breathe sniping to be the decision making authorities on this, not a staff type. How my arms room is run is Commander business, not staff business, and my guys will have their equipment to train with. We have been proactive about replacing equipment as it wears out: example our M110 barrels were getting shot out, we had no issues replacing all of them. With all that being said, fair point about ammo: ammo for .300 and .338 NM right now is an issue as STRAC does not yet reflect MK22 fielding.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshjath View Post
    Respectfully that’s not at all how we are doing it. We’ve had our MK22s for a few months now. My snipers have complete access to the entire kit whenever they want it, the decision making authority on what gets drawn/issued/trained with is not a staff guy at all, it’s the sniper section leader who is an actual experienced SME. I’m going to trust my B4 qualified Paratroopers who eat sleep and breathe sniping to be the decision making authorities on this, not a staff type. How my arms room is run is Commander business, not staff business, and my guys will have their equipment to train with. We have been proactive about replacing equipment as it wears out: example our M110 barrels were getting shot out, we had no issues replacing all of them. With all that being said, fair point about ammo: ammo for .300 and .338 NM right now is an issue as STRAC does not yet reflect MK22 fielding.
    It sounds like your unit is squared away. My post was mostly a joke, colored by lingering bitterness from the Gramm-Rudman era when some units had other priorities. I'm delighted to hear that your people are free to do things the right way, and that people who properly understand the task are in charge of its completion.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List