Thread: 1911 barrel replacement question

1911 barrel replacement question

Gentlemen,
    I need a replacement barrel for an old 1911 government model. It is a commercial 1911 made in the 20’s and its barrel is rough from firing corrosive ammo in the past. The pistol is not an A1 model. So my question is, if I buy a new “drop in” barrel, will it work the same as if my pistol was an A1?
    Thank you in advance for your replies.
    Gene Pool

I'm not aware of barrel changes between the original and A1 designs; a quality drop-in should work, just know that even drop-ins often need a little fitting.

Questions:

1) Are you sure you need to re-barrel? If there are no accuracy, cycling or fouling issues, consider leaving as-is.

2) Are you sure you want to put money and rounds into a 100 year old piece?

Anyway, if you go that route, suggest Kart EZ fit.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

The Army bought replacement barrels from High Standard for use in both 1911 and 1911A1.

I think any standard barrel will fit or can be made to fit your GM.

I don't know if there are any true drop-in barrels being made to the old specifications. Anything you get may well require cutting. I know my one foray into drop-in did.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

You will be lucky if you can find something that will truly drop in.

Kart, as mentioned, is a good way to go or if you are looking for something more budget friendly, try CDNN or Sarco.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List