Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof headlamp w/red & green

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar

Waterproof headlamp w/red & green

One thing I don't think I've ever mentioned here is that I do a bit of SAR work and I have pretty good gear for that (perhaps unsurprisingly).

But I could probably upgrade my headlamp and I have been wanting to do so.

Here's what I need:

Green lens I can't lose
    Plenty of lumens
    High degree of waterproofness

Here's what I want:
    Also a red lens I can't lose
    IPX8
    Rechargeable

I like the look of the Olight Perun Mini but I don't think it has red or green options. I need green to read maps - a lot of our stuff has magenta lines and it's unreadable with red light, but white light is obviously a problem for night vision.

Odds of it getting lost or destroyed are moderately high so zillion dollar Surefire stuff is best avoided.

I currently use an old something I have no idea what it is, it takes 3 AAs and I have it from when I worked underground.

I'm sure there's better stuff...but does anyone here totally keep up with Candlepower forums or is super into this stuff and knows it well before I spend four hours sifting through manufacturers specs trying to find something from Fenix or Olight or Streamlight or some other outfit that is kind of a tier 2 supplier?
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I’ve had two Princeton Tec headlamps that I liked a lot - until I broke the battery loading door off both at some point. Seems like Princeton Tec sent me a replacement for one, but neither work at this point. The plastic seems too brittle for the snap-closed design they use. I have an old ass beater Streamlight Trident(?) that is bulky, but apparently bulletproof. I keep coming back to it. It uses two to three AAs - which I prefer.

Well, just looked at the current Trident and now I recall there is no red LED - which is prolly why I went to the Princeton Tec FRED to start with.

You didn’t say this in your post, but if you end up with a headlamp that also has white light, you will probably want to ensure that the white is on a separate switch from the red/green. It aggravates me to no end that manufacturers set these things up that what you get with the first push of the on button is blazing white light. Not what you need in a utility light.

Maybe this one? https://princetontec.com/wp-content/..._Specsheet.pdf I think they may be trying to do too much in one light, but it is programmable. Switching looks like it might be okay. I suspect it has the same type battery door that I broke.
    Last edited by Tensaw; 05-11-2022 at 05:34 AM.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

I’ve stuck with the Petzl headlamps, this in particular https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/He...CTIKKA-PLUSRGB. It doesn’t have everything you want, but they’re durable without breaking the bank.

No rechargeable battery and not fully water proof, but they seem to do fine in the rain or in marine environments. The light initially turns on to whatever color (red/green/blue/white) that you last used and will cycle through them all if you continue to hold down the power button. The light intensity can be set low enough for discrete map reading and the white light is bright enough to use when running the skiff before BMNT.

Two options I know of are the Skilhunt H03C and Acebeam H30

Thanks everyone - sorry about the lack of clarity (please no womp womp) but a white light WOULD be a "need" - it didn't occur to me to say so because I am an idiot.

I have had the exact same Princeton Tec door break and it made me leery.

The Taktikka RGB, I should have thought of that - definitely jumps to the top of my list if you find it survives marine environments; that's my application exactly.

I will check out both the Acebeam and the Skilhunt as well!
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

Princeton Tec Vizz Tactical has multispectrum (white main output, with secondary red, blue, green, and IR), and is IPX7 rated. It has a much better door design where a thumbscrew is used to hold in place rather than a molded plastic clip like on the Remix/Remix Pro.

Black Diamond Storm 400 has multispectrum (white main output, with secondary white, red, blue, and green), and is IP67 rated.

Petzl Tactikka +RGB's weakness is that is is only IPX4 rated.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 05-11-2022 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Princeton Tec Vizz Tactical has multispectrum (white main output, with secondary red, blue, green, and IR), and is IPX7 rated. It has a much better door design where a thumbscrew is used to hold in place rather than a molded plastic clip like on the Remix/Remix Pro.

Black Diamond Storm 400 has multispectrum (white main output, with secondary white, red, blue, and green), and is IP67 rated.

Petzl Tactikka +RGB's weakness is that is is only IPX4 rated.
    The IPX4 rating indeed is the thing that made me nervous - I'll check out the Vizz T for sure and the Storm as well, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    The IPX4 rating indeed is the thing that made me nervous - I'll check out the Vizz T for sure and the Storm as well, thank you.
    Don't know if they offer it in CAN, but Black Diamond has a generous pro deal in the USA. The PT one is okay.

Site Supporter
    I have a Petzl Actik Core that somewhat meets your needs.
    Output: High: 450 lumens / medium: 100 lumens / low: 6 lumens
    Runtime: High: 2 hours / medium: 8 hours / low: 130 hours
    Bulbs: 2 LED / 1 red LED (no green)
    Beams: Spot/Flood
    Water Resistance: IPX4
    USB rechargeable battery or AAA.

I use mine for hiking and camping. My manager uses his for nighttime cross country running (he's in Scotland, he mostly runs at night...in the rain and mud). It's certainly bright enough for that and the output on high compares favorably with my flashlight that is rated at the same output. The lowest setting doesn't kill your night vision and might offset the lack of green filter. It's also comfortable to wear. So much so, that I sometimes forget I have it on my head and go looking for my light. It has replaced a handheld flashlight for my outdoor activities.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post

I have several of these, never knew it had anything other than white/red. They've done pretty well for me. Survived a fair amount of physical abuse. Multiple water immersions, including salt water. My first one wore out the hinge, which BD replaced with no questions asked.

User Tag List