Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Switching between a dot and irons on a defensive pistol

Switching between a dot and irons on a defensive pistol

HCM said the following is another thread:

That doesn't address the issue of some people having trouble switching back and forth between the two.

What are the hazards, and possibly benefits, of shooting just irons, just a red dot, or using both interchangeably in a defensive pistol application?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Don't know nothing about anything defensive but, hopefully, in a process of this discussion we will bury "shooting the dot helps your irons shooting" thing.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I don't really see a need for me personally to ever shoot an irons only gun again. All of my personal firearms have dots and my duty gun has a dot. I don't really see where it would benefit me to shoot irons.

Switching between a dot and irons on a defensive pistol

I don't have a problem switching between a dot and irons, as long as I practice both. It's not that difficult to keep both sets of visual cues fresh.

I don't think "shooting the dot helps your irons shooting", but shooting the dot helps your shooting.

Here's the controversial question: should people be able to shoot handguns with irons? It's limiting to need an optical sight on a handgun. Is that a problem?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-11-2022 at 12:49 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My observation has been that irons shooters, including strong M class level, who then dedicated self to a dot have not had easy time finding previous irons proficiency levels. I am envious of those who have equal time to practice with both.

"People" are a heterogeneous group. Since GJM phrased it for the defensive use and we're excluding gamers (who obviously don't have to learn irons), I think the answer "it depends". For a military and LE professionals I'd think that some irons skills are mandatory. For civilians I am not so sure.
    Last edited by YVK; 05-11-2022 at 12:56 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I've been shooting with dots for a lot less time than with irons but I don't think I shoot irons as well as dots now. The only pistols I shoot with irons are for fun at the range or deep concealment like a J frame. I finally admitted a few years ago that irons are inferior except unless you're playing in the mud for some reason.

I know if I grab up an iron sighted pistol at the range and just shoot it without any thinking I immediately notice that I am target focused and I have to make a conscious effort to aquire the front sight... I'm not sure I'd manage that adjustment now in self defense scenario.
    With a target focus I can still see the front sight as a blurry dot that can be superimposed like a red dot but this seems less than ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Don't know nothing about anything defensive but, hopefully, in a process of this discussion we will bury "shooting the dot helps your irons shooting" thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I don't think "shooting the dot helps your irons shooting", but shooting the dot helps your shooting.
    I look at it this way... The wobble in the dot reinforces that the wobble across my irons is okay, and to focus on my press. In the same way that shooting my J frame reinforces a good trigger press.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    My observation has been that irons shooters, including strong M class level, who then dedicated self to a dot have not had easy time finding previous irons proficiency levels. I am envious of those who have equal time to practice with both.

"People" are a heterogeneous group. Since GJM phrased it for the defensive use and we're excluding gamers (who obviously don't have to learn irons), I think the answer "it depends". For a military and LE professionals I'd think that some irons skills are mandatory. For civilians I am not so sure.
    As a civilian, I want to be able to pick up any gun and be able to shoot it well. I use guns that are too small or otherwise unsuitable for RDS. E.g. mouseguns or snubbies. I also carry a handgun in conditions that are marginal for a RDS (e.g. kayaking). Iron sighted handguns make so much sense. If I had to choose RDS or irons, it would be irons. Fortunately I can have my cake and eat it too.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

This is why I'm strictly irons on handguns although I do have a few RD rifles

My reasons are that I sometimes need to carry a gun that cannot be equipped with a RD. Obviously the money aspect. These things aren't cheap. And ultimately the reliability aspect. I realize that this is an example of one and that maybe it's a one in a trillion chance that will never ever happen again but a few years ago I had one RD suddenly die. I prepared for a rifle class, made sure I had everything the night before, checked to make sure the Aimpoint was working and even brought extra batteries just in case. Double checked that I turned it off when I packed everything up. Next morning in class the Aimpoint was DOA. New battery didn't help, other people's batteries didn't help, it was just dead. The rifle has irons so I was easily able to do the class. Otherwise it would have been a wasted 2hr trip.

And again, I get that this could be super rare fluke but it happened and I wouldn't want it to happen when I really need it most. Now, if there was some QD mount or an RD that was flush with the slide or otherwise had visible irons without using suppressor sights I'd probably change my mind.

To be fair I'm not dead set against them. I just have a hard time trusting them. Or something that doesn't require electronics. I have been toying with the idea of getting one on a spare gun just to play around with. We'll see

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

User Tag List