Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best pistol optic for astigmatism

Thanks

Thanks you guys I have noticed green works better for me on my rifle scopes and crossbow scope. Glasses unfortunately don’t completely fix mine.

I never thought of the size of the dot. A small red one looks like a asterisk to me lol. As much as I dislike big box stores I am going to go to one in the upcoming days and see if I can test a bunch and see what might be better than the next.

I never thought I’d taking my dot to the eye doctor that’s also not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    I have a 407CO and ***BELIEVE*** it works well for astigmatism. I heard a guy at the range complaining and asked him to look through the 407CO, he said it was much clearer than whatever he had.

#mrozowjj posted pics of the 407CO reticle in this thread, if you scroll down:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-to-RMR/page6

EDIT: Become a site supporter and I will mail you my 407CO to try out. It has no pistol host at the moment, so its just sitting around. BOOM making money for PF! haha (send me a PM and we can chat, kidding about the site supporter stuff)
    Thanks. I’d be afraid of it getting lost in shipping and I’d feel horrible. I will look into what it takes to be a site supporter. Everyone has been really cool on this forum. It seems a lot better community than the other forums I’m a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    I have a 407CO and ***BELIEVE*** it works well for astigmatism. I heard a guy at the range complaining and asked him to look through the 407CO, he said it was much clearer than whatever he had.

#mrozowjj posted pics of the 407CO reticle in this thread, if you scroll down:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-to-RMR/page6

EDIT: Become a site supporter and I will mail you my 407CO to try out. It has no pistol host at the moment, so its just sitting around. BOOM making money for PF! haha (send me a PM and we can chat, kidding about the site supporter stuff)
    I just upgraded to site supporter as everyone who ive talked with on IM has been extremely cool. Thanks for the offering to share your optic. I am going next weekend to try a few out locally.
    Last edited by Jdru82; 05-12-2022 at 01:32 PM.

Just some food for thought:

I’ve shot carbines with an Aimpoint red dot for 20yrs now. I didn’t realize I had an astigmatism and just assumed that the red dot wasn’t perfect. A couple years ago, I started putting dots on pistols and found out what was really going on. Lol.

After 2yrs of a 2moa dot, I recently purchased a 407k with 6moa dot. It still blooms but it is much better/clearer for MY eyes, especially in brighter conditions to include the low light when used with a proper flashlight.

I plan to soon purchase another 507k with a green dot to see if that helps. I have seen mixed reviews on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I see an Amipoint T1 reticle as two semi-colons on their sides, I do not have that issue with Acros, RMRs, DPPs, or the Holosuns I have.

I have pretty wicked astigmatism. The rmr 2 3.25 has been the best for me. I do not know if the blue hue helped with this or not. I Have tried dpp,Acro, holosun in various sizes. The 6 moa dots were horrible in my experience. The holo 2moa worked pretty well.

Tried the green thing, did not help at all for me.

Polarized sunglasses seem to help calm the bloom.

I know the auto dot stuff has been crap and vastly prefer a manual adjustment. That seems to help me get a decent dot with varying light conditions.

This is a very personal decision. It really does seem to vary person to person.

I would like to get to a eye doctor and see if that can help me. Eotech/Huey and rds on rifles are a no go as well. So I’ve moved to prism optics/etched reticle to get a clean sight picture.

Good luck and I hope you can figure it out, it’s frustrating but the dot is pretty damn nice to have. Be willing to experiment with dot sizes and brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have a mild astigmatism and the same issues with red dots. The relative clarity of individual dots seems unpredictable. Have had the best luck with aimpoint but the differences are pretty minor from model to model.

I do not find my astigmatism to be so limiting that it makes it hard for me to get reasonable hits on target out to 100M. One trick that helps a lot is deploying my back-up rear iron sight. Looking through the peep sight downrange cuts out a lot of the out-of-focus light. Polarized glasses help too but they also introduce other artifacts for me for some reason (dot looks streaky if it is at all off center).

The most helpful has been shooting on fairy sunny days; this seems to wash out a lot of the out-of-focus light and makes the dot quite a bit crisper

A lot of good things have been said here, I'll just add that we make too much of this issue. I have the worst kind of astigmatism that makes the dot a cluster. It's much cleaner with my glasses. A lesson I've learned is it doesn't matter when you are actually shooting and have target focus. Outdoors in sunlight, target focused, the dot will be much cleaner because you aren't focusing on it and not thinking about it. Indoors, it doesn't matter if it's a blob as long as you see red where you want bullets to go. I think we look at the dot indoors and focus on the dot itself, and get psyched out by how it looks in that situation. Now, the legit concern is when the dot is on a rifle and you are shooting past 100 yards. In that situation, flip up your rear iron sight and the aperture will make your dot perfect. I would urge everyone to quit thinking of your astigmatism as a problem and just use the dot as it's designed to be used. You'll be fine, I promise.

Site Supporter
    While everyone's eye's are different, i've found the Holosun dots to be much more of a "dot" for me than the RMR ( which was more of a red ball of yarn).

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Glasses
    That's the best answer right there; no way around it. I have contacts that do a decent job at correcting astigmatism, but I have also had to get used to seeing much less than perfect dots. You might consider getting correction built in to your shooting glasses because you have to wear them anyway. At least in the shotgun sports, these days I am seeing a number of guys wearing shooting glasses with corrective lenses behind the safety lenses.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

User Tag List