Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best pistol optic for astigmatism

Best pistol optic for astigmatism

Hi I am looking at getting a new pistol some local friends are pointing me towards a staccato an go co witness. I am hesitant on the red dot because of my astigmatism some have not been great on the ar platform. Does anyone have specific time with different ones and can recommend one that might be good?

Unfortunately, every astigmatism is different. I've had great luck with a Holosun 507C Green, but others have found better luck with other brands. The Stiner MPS was also very clear for me, but I don't have much trigger time with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdru82 View Post
    Hi I am looking at getting a new pistol some local friends are pointing me towards a staccato an go co witness. I am hesitant on the red dot because of my astigmatism some have not been great on the ar platform. Does anyone have specific time with different ones and can recommend one that might be good?
    Good question. This comes up periodically, and my understanding is that there's not much you can do about an astigmatism--except not care that your dot isn't a perfect dot. My right lens has a couple of wrinkles and that causes two small spikes off the dot. I don't notice it at all while shooting because I'm focused on the targets.

Some people say that they have less astigmatic distortion with a larger dot, circle reticle, or green dot/reticle. Holosun has a good range of RDS, in green, and with dot/circle/circle-dot reticles.

I'm sure you'll get some more suggestions.

LOL! @Joe45 posted as I was writing this.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Glasses

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Glasses

I have bad astigmatism, but glasses take care of it.

I have to wear protective eyewear anyway, might as well make things clearer.

I use auto dimming sunglasses which are perfect for changing light conditions.

Glasses don't correct my issues with the dot being a giant star, but I do like Clusterfrack says and I don't have any problems using my Holosun 507C.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I have bad astigmatism, but glasses take care of it.

I have to wear protective eyewear anyway, might as well make things clearer.

I use auto dimming sunglasses which are perfect for changing light conditions.
    Same. First time I looked through a red dot without glasses I thought it was broken. Didn't realize it was astigmatism! Bit of a brain fart

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Glasses don't correct my issues with the dot being a giant star, but I do like Clusterfrack says and I don't have any problems using my Holosun 507C.
    That’s not a flaw, that’s a feature! Kidding, kidding.

I’m not an eye doctor, but I wonder if there’s something that can be done with and for that if you talk to yours and tell them what your sighting requirements are.

I have astigmatism and I just take my dot into the eye doctor each visit and choose the best correction. If you aren’t comfortable doing that or you are unable to correct for your astigmatism, I’d personally get a 2moa dot that you can manually adjust for the range or competition.

You may want to go to a gun store with a large selection and see if any dot works better than others.

I have a 407CO and ***BELIEVE*** it works well for astigmatism. I heard a guy at the range complaining and asked him to look through the 407CO, he said it was much clearer than whatever he had.

#mrozowjj posted pics of the 407CO reticle in this thread, if you scroll down:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-to-RMR/page6

EDIT: Become a site supporter and I will mail you my 407CO to try out. It has no pistol host at the moment, so its just sitting around. BOOM making money for PF! haha (send me a PM and we can chat, kidding about the site supporter stuff)

User Tag List