Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best pistol optic for astigmatism

Site Supporter
    I have an astigmatism. I have had cataract surgery and didn't chose for implants that supposedly would correct. First, it was several thousand more not covered by insurance. Second, since I know a touch about vision and ophthalmology (took Intro Ophthalmology at the med school during my post doc), I'm a touch of KISS. The alignment of the lens is important and can screw up. A friend of mine chose that and it was a total cluster needing more surgery and never right. Thus, I wear glasses that correct. I like to wear glasses as being old and presbyopic, I need them for reading given my implants. I don't believe in two different lenses for each eye, given stereopsis problems - gave a lecture on that to the med students. Also I always want eye protection for obvious reasons of gun usage and just crap hitting me in the face in real life.

So I've been considering prescription shooting glasses to give more eye coverage. My ophthalmologist (a shooter and also LEO reserve) says my regular classes give good protection as far as impact, though. But the Rx is costly for new glasses, also.

Amazon had a sale on Uvex by Honeywell Hypershock Safety Glasses with total coverage - cheap. I tried them on and sighted through my SRO - 5 MOA. The dot became, I would say about 8 ish MOA and a touch of an horizontal egg shape with a tiny fuzz on the ends. My distance vision is good through them. So I might give it a run for curiousity to see how they work on targets in a match. Just an experiment. It's worth the $10.00 to try.

With my normal Rx, the dot is a nice clear, sharp dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdru82 View Post
    Hi I am looking at getting a new pistol some local friends are pointing me towards a staccato an go co witness. I am hesitant on the red dot because of my astigmatism some have not been great on the ar platform. Does anyone have specific time with different ones and can recommend one that might be good?
    Did you ever get an optic?

I also found out that I have astigmatism after looking through an optic with a 3 moa dot. The only solution I have found was to dial down the light intensity. Even then I still have slight starring but I just cover the target with the center of the star and problem solved.

I also recently was able to try a Holosun and used the 32 moa circle without the dot and no issues with starring. Place the circle over what you want to hit and your eyes will automatically center your target in the circle.

My next optic will definitely be a Holosun with the 32 moa circle reticle option.

Everyone’s vision is different. I’ve found that for me, smaller dots are much less likely to be crisp circles like you see in advertisements. I see 6 and 6.5 MOA dots as circles. I haven’t had a chance to look through a 5 MOA SRO and it’s been years since I looked through a 4 MOA Aimpoint. For me, 2 MOA dots are starbursts or sideways commas with little tails. I once looked through an ACRO which I believe is a 3.5 MOA dot. It appeared better and clearer than a 2 MOA dot does to me but not as crisp as a 6 MOA dot. My brother is the opposite. He sees 2 MOA dots as crisp circles and sees 6 MOA dots more like lines or smears. You’re just going to have to find what works for you.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    I've had the best luck with my 6MOA Romeo 1 Pro's. My glasses correct my astigmatism better than my contacts which I wear mostly. However how tired my eyes are etc. have an impact as well. As others have said it's very dependent on the individual. I have not tried green dots.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by mastiffkb View Post
    Did you ever get an optic?

I also found out that I have astigmatism after looking through an optic with a 3 moa dot. The only solution I have found was to dial down the light intensity. Even then I still have slight starring but I just cover the target with the center of the star and problem solved.

I also recently was able to try a Holosun and used the 32 moa circle without the dot and no issues with starring. Place the circle over what you want to hit and your eyes will automatically center your target in the circle.

My next optic will definitely be a Holosun with the 32 moa circle reticle option.
    I did end up with a hollowing 507c. A friend had it and went a different way so it was a good buy. It’s not 100% perfect but it’s pretty good with my astigmatism.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Glasses

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Quality, well made corrective lenses (i.e. glasses) work for me too.

User Tag List