Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Handheld Light - What's hot, what's not? Surefire preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgrubbs View Post
    I’ve got about 5-6 weeks down carrying one of the new MCH from Cloud Defensive. So far, I’m happy with it. The only “negative” concerns I have on it are: I wish it were a little more narrow/thinner and lack of a clip that fully fits MY needs. Concerns with the product launch and actually getting my light in hand are definitely another topic altogether. Attachment 88703

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ******Sample size of ONE******

My partner and I initiated a foot pursuit the other night on a suspect who fled from us on a bike. He got a pretty significant head start on us but we decided to track anyway. My partner is using an MCH HC head. His light died halfway through the track. Dead. After we wrapped things up, we diagnosed the issue and the head itself is dead. It's on its way back to CD for replacement/warranty.

Not exactly comforting...

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post

My partner and I initiated a foot pursuit the other night on a suspect who fled from us on a bike. He got a pretty significant head start on us but we decided to track anyway. My partner is using an MCH HC head. His light died halfway through the track. Dead. After we wrapped things up, we diagnosed the issue and the head itself is dead. It's on its way back to CD for replacement/warranty.

That is definitely concerning. I’d like to hear the outcome, but I think he’ll just get a replacement without much of an explanation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After years of carrying a two cell CR123 Surefire light I replaced it with a Streamlight AAA Microstream.

I've been EDC'ing the Microstream for about a decade. I don't have a need for a brighter light, even in a self-defense situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post

This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder about a lot of these one off oddball brands.

Are the “gains” really all that important or valuable when offset against the parts availability, general fiddle-fuck involved, general uncertainty around the brand…

I find myself less and less interested in “bespoke” anything. Ultimately I either wind up let down or having to invest more time and/or Money, or all three.

I can kinda understand why the op would say “Surefire preferred”. Even if they aren’t the new hotness, they are a known entity with a support systems and parts network (including aftermarket, which admittedly then gets us back to bespoke).

I get that the industry has become more tolerant of China lights (and optics), and that gunerds have always loved some bespoke shit, but it strikes me that if protecting and serving or legit need for defense, old standbys may still be best. Maybe a few less lumens, or a few less buttons, or a few less clickies, but does any of that matter of the (n)ew hotness simply doesn’t turn on?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    @Shawn Dodson +1

"Mission Drives the Gear" by Pat Rogers (RIP).

While I now affirmative eschew most things made in the PRC when I can do so, my most frequent EDC light is an old 1 cell 4Sevens Quark recommended by our founder-TLG (RIP)10+ years ago.
    250 lumens is all that I need in the urban/suburban environment I find myself in 99% of the time. Then its a Malkoff upgraded Surefire E1B.

If one is going down the PRC flashlight route, Streamlight, an American owned company, is certainly a quality way to go:

a-exceeds intersection of quality/value
    b- good CS
    c- transparent re country of origin across theirs lines
    d- broad feature set/switching (not a strength to me but is to many)
    e- widely available
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Nothing I need or desire in a flashlight that can't be met by a Malkoff.
    You simply can't go wrong with a Malkoff.

For EDC I use a FourSevens Preon P2 MKIII: https://darksucks.com/products/preon-p2

It does not have all the lumens. But it does have a high color rendering along side good battery life and a nice form factor. Many lights are far too bulky and heavy for EDC carry. I'm also a simple guy, I like my lights to have a reverse clicky tail cap and two modes (hi/low).

Customer Service at FourSevens is light years ahead of Surefire. Personally, after experiencing Surefire customer service, they are near the bottom of my list. Only ahead of Modlite - who has had several glaring interactions on social media with customers/consumers/reviewers that make them a no go for me.

My next light will be a Cloud Defensive MCH Mini. I've used the OWL for about two years now and I like it quite a bit. I know there were some comments on the rollout of the light. They had website issues, but TBH I thought they were quite transparent about it on social media.

I’ve been wanting a light for work. Don’t love the lights I have for work. Low voltage tech. Construction sites and finished homes. Needs to be not Chinese. Around the size of the Tactician. Low of around 20 lumens. High of maybe 500 or so. Can be more but 500 is likely ok. Tail click. Rechargeable batteries or usb charging is ok but I like the ability to throw the common cr123 in there real quick.

Hate the momentary clicku on the tactician. Don’t like the Malkoff bodyguard 1100 lumens only with timed drop down. The Malkoff 123/18650 is too fat and I don’t love twisting the head for low.

Site Supporter
    Another option for a thinner Malkoff is to use the 18650 E series body with one of their scout heads. Their various E2 heads provide several options that balance runtime, throw, and total output.

I'm pretty decided on a SF edcl2t when they release the new turbo version

User Tag List