Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Handheld Light - What's hot, what's not? Surefire preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    It's my understanding that the lumens really DON'T matter but rather the candela which brings benefits of having more throw. Most stuff happens up close so anything Surefire 6P or better tends to be good enough for my uses.
    Not really. Lumens versus candela is simply a question of what role you need the light to play. If you're needing a floody light, such as a task light, having a bunch of candela just means you've got a tight hotspot that will obscure everything outside it. Mission drives gear train. It just so happens that people finally started realizing in the shooting world that there's more to a light's than lumens; maybe one day they'll also start paying attention to color again, and maybe even CRI.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    It's my understanding that the lumens really DON'T matter but rather the candela which brings benefits of having more throw. Most stuff happens up close so anything Surefire 6P or better tends to be good enough for my uses.
    They both matter.

They just don't matter as much as the sales people and internet shills say it does.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Probably not MOAR enough for modern gunfighters, but I’ve got several of these and love them.*.

Streamlight 66608 250 Lumen MicroStream USB Rechargeable Pocket Flashlight

I suppose those of us that were around when Surefire came on the scene and were brighter than a Maglight at 1/10th the size are easily impressed.

The coyote version starts high and goes to low with a double-click, and the black starts low and goes to high with a double click. I’m told the former is more tactical, and I prefer the latter (after owning both). I like that they are usb charging, after having used the previous non-rechargeable version for quite some time.

*I had to put an asterisk here (and it’s what made me click on the thread to begin with), my oldest one seems to be having issues. I can’t replicate the failure, but it kind of winks out from time to time. Mind you, it’s been through the wash, several times, dropped in pools and ponds, etc. but it has me light-curious to want to follow the thread.
    I carry the same light and love them.

I’ve got about 5-6 weeks down carrying one of the new MCH from Cloud Defensive. So far, I’m happy with it. The only “negative” concerns I have on it are: I wish it were a little more narrow/thinner and lack of a clip that fully fits MY needs. Concerns with the product launch and actually getting my light in hand are definitely another topic altogether. Name:  IMG_3181.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  12.8 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I prefer avoiding China products whenever possible, I've been using one of these Streamlight Polytac X with USB rechargeable 18650 for a while and haven't found anything outside of country of origin to complain about. With 600 lumens and 11,000 something candela, with options for a low mode, it does everything I ask a handheld to do. The two-way pocket clip is actually pretty handy, when I walk my dog in the dark I clip it to my hat to keep one hand free while the other holds the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgrubbs View Post
    I’ve got about 5-6 weeks down carrying one of the new MCH from Cloud Defensive. So far, I’m happy with it. The only “negative” concerns I have on it are: I wish it were a little more narrow/thinner and lack of a clip that fully fits MY needs. Concerns with the product launch and actually getting my light in hand are definitely another topic altogether. Name:  IMG_3181.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  12.8 KB
    Which model did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Which model did you get?
    High Candela, Dual Mode, Clear Ano finish

Quote Originally Posted by mcgrubbs View Post
    High Candela, Dual Mode, Clear Ano finish
    Would you get the HC again?

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Would you get the HC again?
    Yes but that’s not to say I don’t like/want the EDC variant. I haven’t tried that one. Frankly, I bet that most everyone would be fine using either.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I posted this a few months ago in response to someone who wanted essentially a single output light. Made in USA offerings by Elzetta and Malkoff could make the cut as well.

Illustrative but not exhaustive list.

Surefire G2X Tactical 600 Lumens Single Output 79.00 retail
    https://www.surefire.com/products/il.../g2x-tactical/

Surefire 6PX-600 Lumens Single Output 105 retail. (Essentially a G2 with an all mental body)
    surefire.com/products/illumination/flashlights/g2x-tactical/

Surefire EDCL2-T 1200 Lumens 179 retail. "Gas pedal" light switch. Push switch a little get 5 lumens, push hard get 1200 lumens.
    https://www.surefire.com/products/il...ights/edcl2-t/

Having said that and you thoughts that even the original E2 is a bit big, the 5/500 Lumen EDC1 (Gas pedal" light switch. Push switch a little get 5 lumens, push hard get 500) would certainly work.
    I was the one you were advising and I have been VERY happy with my 6PX. Thanks again.

State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List