Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Handheld Light - What's hot, what's not? Surefire preferred.

The Surefire Stiletto Pro is an amazing product.

I only have one gripe with it. I really, really really wish for peace of mind that I could replace the battery myself. I don't like the fact that the light has a finite life far short of what the LED diode is rated for.

I am actually using the Stiletto Pro on duty. It lacks sufficient candela to pierce past most photonic barriers and into cars but for general searching and tasks, its an amazing light.

The Cloud Defensive second generation heads are easily outclassing almost everyone else. I really, really, REALLY like what they're doing. I have no experience with their multi mode heads with the single output HC head is really, really nice for throwing light and the tone of the light itself is wonderful. Its not too white or harsh and its not to yellow where its not providing sufficient contrast.

By the way, modlite is expecting to release their “Legacy” kits that are supposed to retrofit existing Surefire lights.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    By the way, modlite is expecting to release their “Legacy” kits that are supposed to retrofit existing Surefire lights.
    I saw that, was hoping they'd fit 6P but it looks to be Scout/E2 type lights only.

I'm wondering when the surefire turbo handhelds are coming out...

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Heard any updates on a timeline? I don't recall hearing anything specific from SHOT.

Okay I don't know the correct tactical answer, but I used to have a single cell SF Executive that went in my pocket. For me in dress slacks, this Martac has been the best ever, simply because it is so light and easy to carry, no more obtrusive than a pen, and at the 425 lumens setting has plenty of light for anything I need in an EDC and the low setting works fine for other stuff and the switch is momentary when I want to flash something. It consumes my rechargeable AAA's such that they last several weeks in my normal use.

The Malkoff Bodyguard v.2 head (highly recommended) on a Surefire E2 body. Screws right on, can be run on two CR123 batteries or a single 16650 Li-ion cell. The original SF tailcap switches can be a liability, but there are plenty of high quality replacements available (Lumens Factory with McClicky switch on the light above).

Same light with Malkoff E2XTD head installed. The E2 body can serve as the base for a Lego light and be made into exactly what you want;

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

I have a malkoff mdc head with 2aa and 1aa body.

I chose aa over everything else because I travel to Mexico a lot and I want to have a flashlight that can take batteries that I can get off the shelf wherever I am at in an emergency. Normally I have six lithium rechargeable AAs that I rotate.

If I'm out camping or going to be out for a while in the dark I'll take the 2AA body. But normally I just use the 1aa body for edc.

Gives up lumens but I live in a dark area with no street lights and no light pollution and the flashlight works great. I don't need super lumens.

Not to mention the malkoff is built like a tank

https://firstlight-usa.com/product/tomahawk-mc/

I remember seeing a video with Ken Hackathorn using one of these years ago. I purchased one recently. Nothing besides bedside use. Don't see much about them. Anyone else used one extensively? Findings?

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    https://firstlight-usa.com/product/tomahawk-mc/

I remember seeing a video with Ken Hackathorn using one of these years ago. I purchased one recently. Nothing besides bedside use. Don't see much about them. Anyone else used one extensively? Findings?
    I used a T-MAX LE for six years on duty.

The light took a FUCKING BEATING. Pardon my French but that is about as good as I can describe it. The only "damage" the light took was that the black plastic cover came off of the top buttons. This is a cosmetic add on and the light itself never skipped a beat.

Lumen, candela, beam pattern and throw were all very good for the package. For EDC though the light is a super awkward shape. I wouldn't want to EDC it. For a nightstand light, sure, why not.

You have to adapt to its shape for two handed shooting but it's doable.
    Last edited by Magsz; 05-11-2022 at 04:45 AM.

User Tag List