Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: EDC Handheld Light - What's hot, what's not? Surefire preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post

The original Quark, this one the Tactical QT2L-X on an AA body, powered by a single 14500 Li-ion cell.

Discontinued after a lawsuit by Surefire against Foursevens, this light has IMO one of the best user interfaces (UI) of any light past or present. Combining the best of "programmable" with pushing-the-switch-and-always-getting-what-you-expect, the light can be programmed for one mode with the bezel tightened and another for the bezel backed-off from tight.
    You just described my dream light. What I've wanted for some time now is a light where a slight bezel turn reduces output, so I can leave it set to maximum brightness for "tactical" use yet retain an admin capability on the same light that doesn't detract from the light's defensive utility or have complicated switchology. My thinking is that for admin use, I have time to back off the bezel, whereas in a defensive scenario, I want all the lumens right now with a single button press. Oh, and I want it to be 18650- or 18350-compatible, with a deep-carry pocket clip, as slim a body as possible, high output and beam pattern similar to the PLHv2, and a clicky tailcap.

The Tactician came close to this if one switched out the tailcap and pocket clip, but the MaxVision beam pattern and lack of 18650-compatibility killed it for me. Malkoff's M61HOT with the high/low switch was my go-to for a while (I had one modified with a deep-carry clip custom installed) and came very close to my dream light, but it is a tank and chunkier than I want to carry in the age of slim-body lights like the EDCL2-T.

These days I've grudgingly adopted the two-light strategy, carrying a PLHv2 head on a Valhalla Tactical Baldr EDC body with Z68 tailcap as my defensive light and a Streamlight MicroStream for admin use. At some point I'd like to pick up a Cloud MCH (high candela, single output version) to become my new defensive light, though I'm intrigued by the new SF Turbo lights, if they ever show up in the wild.

Here's the Valhalla light compared to an EDCL1-T.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    These days I've grudgingly adopted the two-light strategy...
    As long as the lights carry comfortably with ready access, I have no problem carrying two.

This is the latest pair I'm carrying - the Quark from above as the general use light and the latest version of the "light saber" -

The light saber weighs 4.4 ounces, measures 5-3/8" AOL and is powered by an 18650 3500 mAh cell;

I very much like the uncluttered style of the LF body, which provides a clean uniform surface to grip the light. The tailcap is also perfect for this application.

Two lights, 6.6 ounces total and plenty of capability.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

User Tag List