Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: EDC Handheld Light - What's hot, what's not? Surefire preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    Have you seen a beam comparison between the 2 options?
    NO, I am ASSuming, the patterns would mimic their normal heads, just at a smaller output

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Modlite heads for legacy scout bodies debuted today. They've got two versions, one for throw, and one for flood. They are dual fuel (2xCR123, 16650) and likely will also work with SF e2 bodies. I say that because I had a malkoff head that wouldn't work on an E2 body once. A call to Malkoff and Gene immediately knew that the anodizing on the threads was blocking good ground between the head and body. Just something to keep in mind, and to say that dealing with Gene is great.

eta: I will likely buy a couple of these heads, sometime down the road
    Which model number are these? Not immediately apparent looking at the website tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Which model number are these? Not immediately apparent looking at the website tonight.
    https://modlite.com/collections/light-heads

Modlite Legacy Enhanced LED-F Light Head - The Legacy Enhanced Driver (F) - Flood Light Head is designed for those who prefer a wider, and brighter flood of light with a wider hotspot. Cool White 5700K emitter tint
    Approximately 850 lumens and 44,000 Candela when used with two CR123 cells. This light is an excellent choice for anyone needing a mix of throw and flood

Modlite Legacy Enhanced LED-T Light Head - The Legacy Enhanced Driver (T) - Throw Light Head is designed for those who prefer a tighter hotspot (throw), with a lower amount of flood. Cool White 5700K emitter tint
    Approximately 660 lumens and 58,000 Candela when used with two CR123 cells. This light is an excellent choice for anyone needing maximum throw.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    https://modlite.com/collections/light-heads

Modlite Legacy Enhanced LED-F Light Head - The Legacy Enhanced Driver (F) - Flood Light Head is designed for those who prefer a wider, and brighter flood of light with a wider hotspot. Cool White 5700K emitter tint
    Approximately 850 lumens and 44,000 Candela when used with two CR123 cells. This light is an excellent choice for anyone needing a mix of throw and flood
    I like the specs on the LED-F, a good balance of lumens to candela for a fight light. I predict this will be a hit for them.

The LED-T head does nothing that the Malkoff E2XT series already offers.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

I got a Surefire Stiletto off a prize table at a competition back in 2020, and find it to be indispensable as a utility light. It is clipped in the right pocket of my trousers. I have a Modlite OKW on an 18350 body with a Thrym clip and a short lanyard for the support hand pocket, and my AIWB has a PL350/OKW mounted to it as well, after a low light portion of a weeklong class a couple years ago reinforced the desirability of “all the candela”.

I also have a couple of Streamlight Micros in my bags and other handy places. They are very useful as a utility light clipped to a ball cap.

But 99% of my use for a light is covered by that one Stiletto.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I got a Surefire Stiletto off a prize table at a competition back in 2020, and find it to be indispensable as a utility light. It is clipped in the right pocket of my trousers. I have a Modlite OKW on an 18350 body with a Thrym clip and a short lanyard for the support hand pocket, and my AIWB has a PL350/OKW mounted to it as well, after a low light portion of a weeklong class a couple years ago reinforced the desirability of “all the candela”.

I also have a couple of Streamlight Micros in my bags and other handy places. They are very useful as a utility light clipped to a ball cap.

But 99% of my use for a light is covered by that one Stiletto.
    Great post!

Like you, the vast majority of my EDC light use is for rather mundane tasks. For those tasks, a light like the Stiletto is perfect.

As you point out, a "fight light" is really an entirely different animal. The reason we EDC a pistol even though the likelihood of needing it is extremely low, is the same reason I carry two lights - one for the mundane stuff, another that is configured exclusively as a self-defense light for use with or without the pistol.

As perhaps the biggest flashlight nerd on PF, I have tried in vain to find a single light that can do both as well as two dedicated lights. IMO, a one-light-does-all approach requires too much compromise.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This is the best flashlight I’ve ever owned. Can use AA or CR123, can be carried in about any position, and the ease of use/comfort is amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Well, hell... I thought I was the only person who likes them. I had tried - and also like - the SL 88061 in the general-purpose small light role, but they don't allow clipping to clothes or gear for no-hands use quite like an angle head. The 88087 does allow this, and for me is sort of the modern equivalent of the old GI angle-head flashlight. "Cheap and cheerful."

They are a lot of light for the money, and I do like the fact that I can always rustle up a fresh battery of some kind on short notice... even out in the sticks.

My MDC HA stays in a drawer most of the time now.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Well, hell... I thought I was the only person who likes them. I had tried - and also like - the SL 88061 in the general-purpose small light role, but they don't allow clipping to clothes or gear for no-hands use quite like an angle head. The 88087 does allow this, and for me is sort of the modern equivalent of the old GI angle-head flashlight. "Cheap and cheerful."
    I may need to give one a try. It would be awesome if it could run at 4.2 volts on an 18350 Li-ion rechargeable cell.

My kids gave me a Tactician for my birthday yesterday. I really like it so far. Lots of cool features!

Name:  B9537A90-C234-4A5F-BA13-D4373CF995E6.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  35.1 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

An EDC Classic

The original Quark, this one the Tactical QT2L-X on an AA body, powered by a single 14500 Li-ion cell.

Discontinued after a lawsuit by Surefire against Foursevens, this light has IMO one of the best user interfaces (UI) of any light past or present. Combining the best of "programmable" with pushing-the-switch-and-always-getting-what-you-expect, the light can be programmed for one mode with the bezel tightened and another for the bezel backed-off from tight. These are the modes that can be programmed;

• Moonlight: 0.5 lumens for 25 days
    • Low: 5 OTF lumens for 4 days
    • Medium: 55 OTF lumens for 14 hours
    • High: 300 OTF lumens for 3.2 hours
    • Max: BURST at 780 OTF lumens for 1 minute, then 390 OTF lumens for 1.9 hours
    • Strobe: 10 Hz for 1 hour
    • SOS: 10 Hz for 4 hours
    • Beacon: 10 Hz for 12 hours

I have the light above programmed for Max/burst (780 lumens) with the head tightened, and medium (55 lumens) with the head back-off. I keep the light in my pocket set for medium, the setting I use the majority of the time. The run time on a 14500 1000 mAh cell is about 40% of the times listed above.

The light as configured is just under four inches long and weighs only 2.2 ounces, including the 14500 cell. It is the least intrusive of all my lights when carried in a pocket, yet is plenty capable. The large CREE XM-L2 emitter in such a small reflector provides a very wide and even beam, which I find ideal for a general use EDC light. On the AA body, the light is compact yet I find long enough to get a proper ice pick grip on.

The Quark lights are still available, though the new models lost the ability to switch output by turning the bezel. Still a capable light, but IMO the UI of the old style is far superior. Luckily I have three of the old style heads which work on new and readily available bodies.

User Tag List