Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: EDC Handheld Light - What's hot, what's not? Surefire preferred.

Site Supporter
    I carried a Stilleto for most of the last 2 or 3 years. The shape in pocket and the high only tailcap for emergency use with the multi mode side switch for admin use is just perfect. I sold it when I got a Cloud MCH 18350 on the day it launched. Id wanted a super high candela light for awhile based on all the current influencer marketing. High candela lights are not a fad or gimmick, but for my life and my pockets, after a month with the Cloud, I traded it for a Stilleto Pro and haven't looked back. The flat shape and separate switch for admin use is just far too perfect.

I do have Streamlight HLXs on my rifles and an old 2LX that I would keep as a backup for backpacking once (if) the Stilleto runs out, but 99/100 days, the Stilleto and Stilleto Pro are perfect.

The aforementioned Streamlight 1L-AA with the CR123 or AA is an amazing backup/throwaway/stash light. I had one of those too but gave it to my little brother when his Klarus started smoking.

How often do you have to recharge? Are you using it daily? Do you carry a cord in your car/on your person to recharge or is it not needed that often?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I carried a Stilleto for most of the last 2 or 3 years. The shape in pocket and the high only tailcap for emergency use with the multi mode side switch for admin use is just perfect. I sold it when I got a Cloud MCH 18350 on the day it launched. Id wanted a super high candela light for awhile based on all the current influencer marketing. High candela lights are not a fad or gimmick, but for my life and my pockets, after a month with the Cloud, I traded it for a Stilleto Pro and haven't looked back. The flat shape and separate switch for admin use is just far too perfect.

I do have Streamlight HLXs on my rifles and an old 2LX that I would keep as a backup for backpacking once (if) the Stilleto runs out, but 99/100 days, the Stilleto and Stilleto Pro are perfect.

The aforementioned Streamlight 1L-AA with the CR123 or AA is an amazing backup/throwaway/stash light. I had one of those too but gave it to my little brother when his Klarus started smoking.
    I’m in basically the same place, I’ve got 18350 versions of the modlite and cloud handhelds. The intent was to replace my stiletto pro, but the pro is far more convenient and will remain my daily carry.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    How often do you have to recharge? Are you using it daily? Do you carry a cord in your car/on your person to recharge or is it not needed that often?
    I use the light briefly multiple times every day, then for longer periods of 10+ minutes probably at least once a week. I honestly charge it once a month when it goes from green to yellow. I feel stupid, but I've never even thought to have a charger in my car. When I'm recharging it I just drop one of my old Streamlights in my pocket.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    99/100 days, the Stilleto and Stilleto Pro are perfect.

The aforementioned Streamlight 1L-AA with the CR123 or AA is an amazing backup/throwaway/stash light.
    Would you mind comparing the Stilleto vs Stiletto Pro? Is the difference in power significant enough/necessary to warrant the doubling of price? How do you like the pocket clip on them?

I agree regarding the Streamlight 1L-AA as a good throwaway/travel light (in pinch AAs are available anywhere in the world). My only issue with it is the clip is not as great at staying in the pocket compared to those excellent Malkoff pocket clips. I've lost or almost the 1L-AA on multiple occasions as it was stealthily lifted out of my pocket by seatbelts, backpack straps, and even the female part of a door lock.

I'd be curious if someone adapted a different clip to work with the Streamlight 1L-AA, because it's a pretty great low budget light otherwise.
    Last edited by Hot Sauce; 05-22-2022 at 02:30 PM.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Would you mind comparing the Stilleto vs Stiletto Pro? Is the difference in power significant enough/necessary to warrant the doubling of price? How do you like the pocket clip on them?

I aagree regarding the Streamlight 1L-AA as a good throwaway/travel light (in pinch AAs are available anywhere in the world). My only issue with it is the clip is not as great at staying in the pocket compared to those excellent Malkoff pocket clips. I've lost or almost the 1L-AA on multiple occasions as it was stealthily lifted out of my pocket by seatbelts, backpack straps, and the even female of a door lock.

I'd be curious if someone adapted a different clip to work with the Streamlight 1L-AA, because it's a pretty great low budget light otherwise
    When I got the 1L-AA I actually planned to put the deeper carry clip from the 2LX on it but they aren't interchangeable.

I am fine with the pocket clip on the Stilleto because I have very fast access when I dont mind the clip showing in my front left pocket, but I just carry it deep in my pocket beside my phone when I want to be discrete.

For how "low" the candela and lumen numbers are on the Stilleto, I was always happy with the beam out to 25 yards. It has a wide spill but still has a (weak on paper) hotpsot. The Pro is much brighter as far as candela and it doesn't really have a Hotspot, basically the entire very wide beam is the same not insignificant candela, brighter than the Hotspot of the regular Stilleto. I'm happy i have the Pro but I wouldn't upgrade from the regular unless I specifically felt the need for more output. The plastic body of the Stilleto is also much lighter than the aluminum Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post

I agree regarding the Streamlight 1L-AA as a good throwaway/travel light (in pinch AAs are available anywhere in the world). My only issue with it is the clip is not as great at staying in the pocket compared to those excellent Malkoff pocket clips. I've lost or almost the 1L-AA on multiple occasions as it was stealthily lifted out of my pocket by seatbelts, backpack straps, and even the female part of a door lock.

I'd be curious if someone adapted a different clip to work with the Streamlight 1L-AA, because it's a pretty great low budget light otherwise.
    That's really going to come down to what do YOU want.

The non pro stiletto is lighter and slightly smaller being that its made out of plastic. If you want a more comfortable light to carry then the non pro model should work just fine for you. It depends on whether or not you believe the light may be tasked with being a self defense light versus an EDC light.

Given that I carry the Stiletto pro on and off duty I wanted the 1k lumens just for the superior throw and spill that the reflector plus lamp provides. Going into hot calls, my MCH is in my hand. Going into every other call, my stiletto pro is in my hand. I am confident that if I need to illuminate a suspect and or disorient them with the light, the pro will work just fine in that capacity for 99% of the situations I would find myself encountering within my city.

As an every day task light, your budget is more important than performance as both lights will work fine in that role.

For duty uses, I would say unequivocally go with the pro. The metal body and higher output is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I have a stiletto pro that my wife and I use to walk the dog nightly. The thing will go a month without a recharge.

My work light can make it through about 7 shifts give or take use. I tend to charge it every four day rotation. I mentioned this earlier. On full blast, over the course of a four day rotation, I bet the total allotted use time on 1k lumens is something like ten minutes, maybe. The light spends so much time being run on its lower settings.

Modlite heads for legacy scout bodies debuted today. They've got two versions, one for throw, and one for flood. They are dual fuel (2xCR123, 16650) and likely will also work with SF e2 bodies. I say that because I had a malkoff head that wouldn't work on an E2 body once. A call to Malkoff and Gene immediately knew that the anodizing on the threads was blocking good ground between the head and body. Just something to keep in mind, and to say that dealing with Gene is great.

eta: I will likely buy a couple of these heads, sometime down the road

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Modlite heads for legacy scout bodies debuted today. They've got two versions, one for throw, and one for flood. They are dual fuel (2xCR123, 16650) and likely will also work with SF e2 bodies. I say that because I had a malkoff head that wouldn't work on an E2 body once. A call to Malkoff and Gene immediately knew that the anodizing on the threads was blocking good ground between the head and body. Just something to keep in mind, and to say that dealing with Gene is great.

eta: I will likely buy a couple of these heads, sometime down the road
    Have you seen a beam comparison between the 2 options?

User Tag List