Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Handheld Light - What's hot, what's not? Surefire preferred.

Folks, you can own multiple rechargeable batteries and they're hot swappable, at least the 18650/350. No different than a powertool or any other battery tool.

Well, except the design of the Surefire and OLights...which is what makes them actual non-starters (I feel like that was said before, by someone in this thread...).

I run rechargeable AAA NIMHs in my daily carried light and 18350s in my long-gun lights. I change them once a month, because of preventative maintenance. Not because I've ever run a set down, ever, but because Prepared. Right? Right. Throw them in the charger when they come out and store them afterwards. I admit, I'm not a big power user. Some folks are going to run their lights 1000x more than I do and need to carry a few spares on their person.

How many folks here have had a light just drop dead on them before? I have, multiple times, I carry spare batteries like I do a spare magazine. (Well actually, no, I usually carry spare batteries in my vehicle or bag). If it's a rechargeable or single-use battery it doesn't matter, they swap the same.

Honestly, if folks want to stay with a CR123 light - that's fine. But the excuses against rechargeable batteries here are really quite silly, most of them don't make sense. The exceptions are institutional use or if you're running a bunch of stuff that use the same batteries, like @theJanitor - that's the cost of business.

Personally, I don't have an NODs, optics, or IR illuminators, etc that use CR123s (I don't have NODs or IR Illuminators, period). In fact, the only thing I have running CR123s are flashlights and a pistol light. Eventually (by end of the year), I'll have zero devices running CR123s, because all my optics will be running CR2032s and all my lights will be 18350, AA, or AAA powered lights (because our life ecosystem says, I'm never getting rid of AA or AAA batteries).

If you have a decade's worth of CR123s on hand, though, by all means, buy a CR123 powered light. For folks who want a CR123 light - make sure you examine Elzetta's offerings in addition to Malkoff and Surefire. Remember, Elzetta and Malkoff have been around a long time and have a lot of dedicated users.

For folks who want a Modlite handheld with two modes. I say check out the Cloud Defensive MCH. The reason CD has a two mode head available is because users requested that feature. No strobe, no programming, just a HIGH and a LOW mode. It's basically impossible to do admin and 'tactical' tasks with a single BRIGHT mode light. Since handhelds are multi-task lights, that's why Cloud was convinced to do this. Their weapon lights are pretty much all single mode BRIGHT lights. You can now get the two-mode format on the REIN 2.0 (since they use the same heads as the MCH), but I don't see any compelling reason for this and would advise anyone to go just single-mode.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Since beginning this thread, I've ordered a replacement bulb from Surefire for my E2. It's pretty dim/yellow even with fresh batt's. Going to see how the light looks after the bulb swap. Then will make the decision to pick up another light (leaning towards the Tactician) based on the outcome.
    New bulb in the E2 makes a world of difference. Same batts.

Name:  09C4807F-4FCC-4B96-B3AD-51D596A2C240.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  18.6 KB
    Name:  8A829229-15F6-452C-A9B6-6DAADDB583E1.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  25.1 KB
    Name:  C73A80AF-08BF-46E4-B058-70513B2DDE57.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  101.0 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Way to rock it “old school” @ASH556

Seriously, it’s cool to see that a newer bulb makes a noticeable difference.

I’ve been very pleased with the LED Malkoff replacement head on my E2 Executive. That was my very first metal Surefire, and it was great to make it truly useful again.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You can now get the two-mode format on the REIN 2.0 (since they use the same heads as the MCH), but I don't see any compelling reason for this and would advise anyone to go just single-mode.
    I wish that CD would sell the REIN 2.0 with a high/low head, because that's what I'm after right now: I want to use it as a helmet light on my SAR helmet, where the low output can be quite useful for admin task. Oh well, guess I'll stick with my Streamlight HL-X for now.

For a low lumen task light, I just use the flashlight on my phone when I need to illuminate something like the center console in my truck or to look under the couch for my dog's tennis ball. If I'm in a large area like a theater or outdoors I'll use the real flashlight. When we watched Dr Strange, the power went down for about 10 minutes(old theater). Talk about pitch black, until people started pulling out their phones you couldn't see your hand right in front of your face.

I'll still be your friend though even if you like different batteries than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I wish that CD would sell the REIN 2.0 with a high/low head, because that's what I'm after right now: I want to use it as a helmet light on my SAR helmet, where the low output can be quite useful for admin task. Oh well, guess I'll stick with my Streamlight HL-X for now.
    Oh, I thought that one was available now. I see it isn't, my bad.

Cloud has said they'll sell heads stand alone soon. And the MCH/REIN heads interchange.

I wonder if you called Cloud and told them what you wanted and why - they might help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I have asked CD if you can use the MCH heads on the Rein 2.0 and they say yes but when I have asked how the modes work with the rein switches it is unclear to me what happens with the high/low heads

I picked up one of the Streamlight USB Microstreams after they were recommended in this thread. I’m really liking it and think they’re a steal for the $30 shipped you can get them from Amazon. It’s smaller than I expect too. I’ll probably order another one or two.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

EDCL2T, PHLV2 Modlight, SF DF Fury, and Stiletto. Love them all. Carry the stiletto 99% of the time. I carried an EDCL2T or the like for probably 6-7 years. Never issues with size, but man the stiletto is just perfect for EDC

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This is the best flashlight I’ve ever owned. Can use AA or CR123, can be carried in about any position, and the ease of use/comfort is amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    I’m with you on this one LL. I really like this light for outdoor, camping and hunting. It carries well in the hand for general lighting tasks, and can be clipped to backpack straps, belts, etc. You won’t cry when you lose it in the woods. I also rigged up a headband with some one wrap and made a headlamp. It’s also an easy light for my small children to use.

For a “serious light” I still prefer Malkoff E size bodies and heads for duty and plainclothes work.

User Tag List