Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 122

Thread: EDC Handheld Light - What's hot, what's not? Surefire preferred.

  1. #1
    S.L.O.W. ASH556's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Braselton, GA

    EDC Handheld Light - What's hot, what's not? Surefire preferred.

    I've got an original Surefire E2 Executive incandecent light. The idea was to use it as an EDC handheld, but I always found it just a bit too large. Also, in today's world, It's every low on performance.

    1. Is there an upgrade kit to make this worthwhile?
    2. If not, what's the go-to?

    I've got a Streamlight Micro-stream single-AAA unit that's ok as a utility light, but not bright enough for a weapon.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

  2. #2
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    I posted this a few months ago in response to someone who wanted essentially a single output light. Made in USA offerings by Elzetta and Malkoff could make the cut as well.

    Illustrative but not exhaustive list.


    Surefire G2X Tactical 600 Lumens Single Output 79.00 retail
    https://www.surefire.com/products/il.../g2x-tactical/

    Surefire 6PX-600 Lumens Single Output 105 retail. (Essentially a G2 with an all mental body)
    surefire.com/products/illumination/flashlights/g2x-tactical/


    Surefire EDCL2-T 1200 Lumens 179 retail. "Gas pedal" light switch. Push switch a little get 5 lumens, push hard get 1200 lumens.
    https://www.surefire.com/products/il...ights/edcl2-t/


    Having said that and you thoughts that even the original E2 is a bit big, the 5/500 Lumen EDC1 (Gas pedal" light switch. Push switch a little get 5 lumens, push hard get 500) would certainly work.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

  3. #3
    This is what I just bought for my EDC light after carrying an original 6P (mostly in backpack) for years. It checks a lot of boxes, without going into detail I'd say just check the video out and see if you can find something else out there that has a better pedigree for what you want out of it.



    https://haleystrategic.com/shop/hard...ion-tools/d3ft

  4. #4
    Deadeye Dick Clusterfrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Wokelandia
    I was on the "Surefire Preferred" train for about 10 years, and got disillusioned with them for various reasons not relevant here. I bumbled around with Chinese lights until I got turned on to the Malkoff Bodyguard 2. I've had it for over 3 years, and it's the perfect EDC. The head even fits on a mini-scout body and works great as a carbine light.

    Here's what you need:

    BG2 Head
    https://malkoffdevices.com/products/...3d03e7e9&_ss=r

    MDC Shrouded body
    https://malkoffdevices.com/products/...5089ef16&_ss=r

    Batteries & charger
    https://www.orbtronic.com/amp/16340-...le-best-li-ion
    https://www.orbtronic.com/usb-smart-...attery-charger



    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I've got an original Surefire E2 Executive incandecent light. The idea was to use it as an EDC handheld, but I always found it just a bit too large. Also, in today's world, It's every low on performance.

    1. Is there an upgrade kit to make this worthwhile?
    2. If not, what's the go-to?

    I've got a Streamlight Micro-stream single-AAA unit that's ok as a utility light, but not bright enough for a weapon.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    "You don’t really graduate from certain problems or certain things… like you always have to work on trigger control and pulling the trigger straight. " --Ben Stoeger 1/24/2018

  5. #5
    Site Supporter David S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    DFW
    This setup lives in my support hand front pocket. Works well in slacks, jeans, chinos, etc.

    Name:  D0621C26-22A7-4934-A206-A2D3C76C8677.jpeg
Views: 838
Size:  37.1 KB
    David S.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    This setup lives in my support hand front pocket. Works well in slacks, jeans, chinos, etc.

    Name:  D0621C26-22A7-4934-A206-A2D3C76C8677.jpeg
Views: 838
Size:  37.1 KB
    I actually just picked up one of those Raven pocket shield's, can't figure out how best to use it. Does the gear ride inside between the shield and your leg?

  7. #7
    The CD Micro MCH has caught my eye: https://www.clouddefensive.com/product/micro-mch/

    The SureFire Stiletto and Stiletto Pro are potentially still worth looking at, along with the Streamlight Wedge.

  8. #8
    Site Supporter David S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    I actually just picked up one of those Raven pocket shield's, can't figure out how best to use it. Does the gear ride inside between the shield and your leg?
    Yes. I use these reusable zip ties. to hold the light in place. They have the right level of rigidity and adjustability.
    David S.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Yes. I use these reusable zip ties. to hold the light in place. They have the right level of rigidity and adjustability.
    What light is that? Is that the spare battery to the right of it? I'd be worried to carry those on body without a light to protect them, lithium's give me the willy's.

  10. #10
    Site Supporter David S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    What light is that? Is that the spare battery to the right of it? I'd be worried to carry those on body without a light to protect them, lithium's give me the willy's.
    This is my actual EDC. Gun rotates or may not be on me.

    Modlite flashlight with the large (18650) body . POM pepper spray canister.
    David S.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •