Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Handheld Light - What's hot, what's not? Surefire preferred.

I mean - I'm not sure how folks got here but I'll say it to clarify it: Institutional User /= Single User EDC pocket carried flashlight user.

When someone else buys your batteries and/or you have a lot of gear that runs on them - sure CR123 makes sense. Barring those two reasons - there isn't a compelling reason to use them over a rechargeable form.

---

Right now the three most common rechargeable batteries are NIMH AA, NIMH AAA, and 18650 Li-Ion. Folks may not understand why the 18650, but the answer is simple vapes and cordless drills. The most popular reusable vaporizers on the market use an 18650. Chances are good if you open up the average rechargeable battery for your cordless drill or whatever - you'll find it's got a series of 18650s in it, as well. In fact, if you crack open one of the battery packs of a Tesla, you know what you find? 18650s in a series.

All of this means that Panasonic, Sanyo, and IMR have worked to build the best protected circuit Li-Ion battery on the market in the 18650. Which is why it is becoming the standard for flashlights. The 18350 is basically same battery scaled down (mostly, some chemistry differences maybe present).

--

In terms of lights if you want a made in USA light with a 1x or 2x CR123-sized form factor - Cloud Defensive, Malkoff, Modlite. If a Made in China works, FourSevens or Streamlight. Selecting a light that runs on the 18650 or 18350 battery. Note: The 18650/350 battery is slightly larger diameter than a CR123 - but it's a very minor difference - 2mm in diameter.

If CR123 is too big a form factor then opt for a AA or AAA format light. In which case then the FourSevens or the Streamlight offerings are both excellent choices.

I spend a metric f*ck ton on 123 batts. I just accept the operating cost of all my systems using the same battery

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I would like a light with two switches for high and low or an AUG trigger type switch with low for shallow and high for deep press
    You're probably never going to get that from modlite.

As far as the latter, Surefire's EDCL2 has a push button tail cap that allows you to throttle through the modes exactly like that.

It's pretty damned intuitive. For some people, even this level of selection will get you killed in the streets. Shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder about a lot of these one off oddball brands.

Are the “gains” really all that important or valuable when offset against the parts availability, general fiddle-fuck involved, general uncertainty around the brand…

I find myself less and less interested in “bespoke” anything. Ultimately I either wind up let down or having to invest more time and/or Money, or all three.

I can kinda understand why the op would say “Surefire preferred”. Even if they aren’t the new hotness, they are a known entity with a support systems and parts network (including aftermarket, which admittedly then gets us back to bespoke).

I get that the industry has become more tolerant of China lights (and optics), and that gunerds have always loved some bespoke shit, but it strikes me that if protecting and serving or legit need for defense, old standbys may still be best. Maybe a few less lumens, or a few less buttons, or a few less clickies, but does any of that matter of the (n)ew hotness simply doesn’t turn on?
    This is exactly it. There are a lot of products in the "tactical" arena that go this way. Vortex optics is another one that bugs me. I have and use Vortex Binoculars and Rangefinder for Bowhunting and I have a Vortex scope on my kids' hunting rifle. I will never put a Vortex, even a Razor on a fighting gun. I've seen too many, including Razors, fail. "Oh but Vortex has a great warranty." Good thing 'cause they need it. Brands like Vortex, Bushnell, and these other light manufacturers that I don't ever pay attention to (Cloud Defensive, Modlight, Olight, WETFE) suffer from what I call Feature Glut. They put a bunch of features into a product that check a consumer's box on a spec sheet and that wins them the business. At the price point, something has to suffer and usually it's in the quality and execution of those "features."

That's why Surefire.

Also I hate the idea of rechargable batteries. Maybe it's the Eagle Scout in me. When I grab a tool, I need it to work. If it doesn't, I need to change something immediately to make it work. Not wait for it to charge.

Since beginning this thread, I've ordered a replacement bulb from Surefire for my E2. It's pretty dim/yellow even with fresh batt's. Going to see how the light looks after the bulb swap. Then will make the decision to pick up another light (leaning towards the Tactician) based on the outcome.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Brands like Vortex, Bushnell, and these other light manufacturers that I don't ever pay attention to (Cloud Defensive, Modlight, Olight, WETFE) suffer from what I call Feature Glut. They put a bunch of features into a product that check a consumer's box on a spec sheet and that wins them the business. At the price point, something has to suffer and usually it's in the quality and execution of those "features."

That's why Surefire.
    Erm... what? I feel like you have completely misread Cloud Defensive and Modlite when you lump them in with Olight. They sit at the same price point as SureFire (for WMLs, anyway, they actually sit at a higher price point than SureFire for handhelds). They do not have a bunch of different features, per se, but merely what most consider better specs (a better balance of throw versus flood for WML use). CD and Modlite occupy a very different price strata and overall niche than Olight or Fenix; the latter have a bazillion different SKUs, many of them with a plethora of features. If anything, SureFire has more light SKUs and more features in some of their lights than CD and Modlite.

Like, I totally understand why one would prefer the more staid options of SureFire, as an exchange for maturity of the company and designs, with an eye toward long term support. But "feature glut" as a criticism of CD and Modlite, to me, is totally incorrect.

Like, with Modlight handhelds, you make three decisions: black or tan, two cell or one cell, balanced output or throw oriented. Lot less options than SureFire.

With CD handhelds, you make the basically the same three decisions, plus one: color, size, output pattern, with the additional option of whether you have high/low output or just high. Still pretty simple even for folks that don't hang out at Candle Power Forum.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 05-17-2022 at 09:25 AM.

Especially modlite. They’re one mode lights with no features. Just on and off

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Erm... what? I feel like you have completely misread Cloud Defensive and Modlite when you lump them in with Olight. They sit at the same price point as SureFire (for WMLs, anyway, they actually sit at a higher price point than SureFire for handhelds). They do not have a bunch of different features, per se, but merely what most consider better specs (a better balance of throw versus flood for WML use). CD and Modlite occupy a very different price strata and overall niche than Olight or Fenix; the latter have a bazillion different SKUs, many of them with a plethora of features. If anything, SureFire has more light SKUs and more features in some of their lights than CD and Modlite.

Like, I totally understand why one would prefer the more staid options of SureFire, as an exchange for maturity of the company and designs, with an eye toward long term support. But "feature glut" as a criticism of CD and Modlite, to me, is totally incorrect.

Like, with Modlight handhelds, you make three decisions: black or tan, two cell or one cell, balanced output or throw oriented. Lot less options than SureFire.

With CD handhelds, you make the basically the same three decisions, plus one: color, size, output pattern, with the additional option of whether you have high/low output or just high. Still pretty simple even for folks that don't hang out at Candle Power Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Especially modlite. They’re one mode lights with no features. Just on and off
    100% Fair enough gents. I'm talking out of my ass mostly when it comes to CD and Modlight. I have zero experience with them and I should know better. It was a bit of a "guilt by association" judgement on my part from the people (not on this forum) I usually see pimping those things and then the other products those people have on their guns that I actually do know something about.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I like simple lights as well. Daily carry either low and high or just on and off. Same with gun lights. Some of these lights have like 12 settings with programming. Silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post

As far as the latter, Surefire's EDCL2 has a push button tail cap that allows you to throttle through the modes exactly like that.

It's pretty damned intuitive.
    This button is perfect for me, and the EDCL2T continues to be my edc. There are no stupid selection procedures, and you can "strobe" someone easily. Press a little for low and press more for high. It's as simple as it gets

Site Supporter
    Honestly, if the max output works for you, then the HDS lights with the rotary interface tick all of the boxes for a number posters in this thread. My only concern with mine is long term support, which seems iffy compared to several months ago. I really wish another manufacturer would produce a comparable light.

User Tag List