Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Model 64 not carrying up completely

Model 64 not carrying up completely

My treasured 3” 64-5 is striking pre-maturely. Timing seems ok when I cycle it slowly, it locks before the hammer completes its rearward travel.

But when cycled quickly, primer strikes are in the 9:00-10:00 position.

I shipped it to Clark Custom for diagnosis/repair. This was a test with primed cases after getting it back.

Needless to say I’ll be giving them a call tomorrow.

IDK about their gunsmiths, but the front office people I dealt with seemed clueless. When I got it back the other day, the description read “fix endshake”, which is not what I stated on the work order.

Model 64 not carrying up completely

My treasured 3” 64-5 is striking pre-maturely. Timing seems ok when I cycle it slowly, it locks before the hammer completes its rearward travel.

I shipped it to Clark Custom for diagnosis/repair. This was a test with primed cases after getting it back.

IDK about their gunsmiths, but the front office people I dealt with seemed clueless. When I got it back the other day, the description read “fix endshake”, which is not what I stated on the work order.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Is it striking prematurely, or is the cylinder rotating backward after bouncing off the stop?

How much movement is there in lockup with the trigger held back?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

This ^^^ is par for the course in recent experiences with Clark.

Site Supporter
    They did my M28-2 about 15 years ago and did a good job. Maybe their revolver guy left since.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    They did my M28-2 about 15 years ago and did a good job. Maybe their revolver guy left since.
    Or more likely retired or passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Is it striking prematurely, or is the cylinder rotating backward after bouncing off the stop?

How much movement is there in lockup with the trigger held back?
    Hmm, never thought of the latter scenario, but it does seem to have a hair more side play than most of my other Smiths.

That might explain why timing seems Ok.

I bought a police trade in M64 last October. The timing was good, but the cylinder had side to side play. I replaced the cylinder (not extractor star), the well worn cylinder stop, and the cylinder bushing. The bushing and stop were relatively inexpensive, and the cylinder wasn’t too costly either. The cylinder could have been left alone, as the the bushing and stop really tightened things up.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

Did you perchance check end shake before sending it to them? Did they say how much it was before and after they did whatever they did?

End shake can affect timing, it needs to be corrected before correcting timing. They may have thought it fixed at that point or it missed its next appointment with the hand department or however they do things.

Have you checked it with some drag on the cylinder? Slow hammer cocking with resistance, then slow trigger cocking with resistance and see if it fully indexes both ways?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Did you perchance check end shake before sending it to them? Did they say how much it was before and after they did whatever they did?

End shake can affect timing, it needs to be corrected before correcting timing. They may have thought it fixed at that point or it missed its next appointment with the hand department or however they do things.

Have you checked it with some drag on the cylinder? Slow hammer cocking with resistance, then slow trigger cocking with resistance and see if it fully indexes both ways?
    In 1971 I bought a new Model 25 in .45 ACP. Firing pin hit primer on the very edge of primer. I sent it back to Smith who said that as long as if fired, it was within spec. Two other Smith mechanics including a famous Texas Python mechanic agreed. I shot this guns 1000's of times. No problems. I prefer that pins strike dead center. I learned a long time ago that our beloved factory revolvers are generic guns made in large numbers during runs having statistical controls on tolerances. As tools wear, more variation occurs. Precision may not be what we would prefer. The late well known Frank Smith who spent 40 years repairing Smith products told me that my weird firing pin primer strike issue was caused by the frame being slightly off. He said that using a babbitt bar to move the frame might screw up something else.

User Tag List