Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Reliably do Modern JHP's Expand?

How Reliably do Modern JHP's Expand?

Occasionally I re-read the old FBI Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness paper from the late '80s. There was one line in particular that said that hollow point bullets only expand 60-70% of the time at best.

The paper says this:

"Damage to the hollow point by hitting bone, glass, or other intervening
    obstacles can prevent expansion. Clothing fibers can wrap the nose of the bullet in a cocoon like manner
    and prevent expansion. Insufficient impact velocity caused by short barrels and/or longer range will
    prevent expansion, as will simple manufacturing variations. Expansion must never be the basis for bullet
    selection, but considered a bonus when, and if, it occurs. Bullet selection should be determined based
    on penetration first, and the unexpanded diameter of the bullet second, as that is all the shooter can
    reliably expect. "

It made me think, how reliable are hollow points in expansion today? Is there a percentage number that can be ascribed? Considering that the switch back to 9mm was facilitated by the advent of well-designed expanding loads, there must have been a huge increase in the reliability of expansion. Still, everything can fail.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Blanket statements are hard, as there is still a lot of variation in brand, cartridge, and sometimes barrel length. The 'top shelf' modern offerings expand pretty reliably in common duty calibers from common barrel lengths. Old school/second tier offerings less so, especially at lower velocities from shorter barrels or marginal cartridges. HSTs, Gold Dots, Critical Defense, etc. seem to expand at least partially even with bone strikes and intermediate barriers.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Does it really matter. Use a load with a good history of reliability and performance. Make good hits first and expansion is icing on the cake.

Modern JHP ammo that meets FBI/IWBA style barrier blind, robust expansion protocols tends to work well.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    Does it really matter. Use a load with a good history of reliability and performance. Make good hits first and expansion is icing on the cake.
    Agree in substance.

I think many folks are concerned with a non-expanding hollow point acting like a FMJ and over-penetrating. In most cases that doesn't matter, until it does. \/O\/
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Agree in substance.

I think many folks are concerned with a non-expanding hollow point acting like a FMJ and over-penetrating. In most cases that doesn't matter, until it does. \/O\/
    Agree that in regard to terminal effects, expansion is a very, very, distant second to shot placement.,

Bullets do funny things in real life. If you are using ammo that meets the FBI specs and you hit your assailant/ suspect you’ve done your due diligence. Beyond that …

Name:  F3649AF7-D05E-44E8-BA9D-692BF6816A6F.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  32.1 KB

Vending Machine Operator
    I’m sure modern ones are better than 60-70% but I think it’s good practice to pick a load from Doc’s list and then train as though you’re shouting FMJs. If you plan for the worst you can only be pleasantly surprised.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Modern JHP ammo that meets FBI/IWBA style barrier blind, robust expansion protocols tends to work well.
    We are way past the late 80s. Heck, we went through the .40 craze since then and now back to 9mm for most. Doc has a sticky, https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....f-Defense-Ammo , of acceptable ammo.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

I feel like this marks a stark contrast with the FBI's mindset during the late 80s/early 90s, whereas in the FBI paper in the 80s, they said expansion shouldn't be counted on and factor into the decision for ammunition ("Bullet selection should be determined based on penetration first, and the unexpanded diameter of the bullet second") but now the extremely improved 9mm loadings seem to have changed that view.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I feel like this marks a stark contrast with the FBI's mindset during the late 80s/early 90s, whereas in the FBI paper in the 80s, they said expansion shouldn't be counted on and factor into the decision for ammunition ("Bullet selection should be determined based on penetration first, and the unexpanded diameter of the bullet second") but now the extremely improved 9mm loadings seem to have changed that view.
    Absolutely not.

Both penetration and expansion are required in order for duty/issued ammunition to pass the F.B.I. test protocols.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List