Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: 140 and 170mm Glock mags

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    So that is measured with the cartridge sticking out of the feed lips? I have no 'box' experience so still don't understand whether they measure loaded or unloaded.
    The 140 and 170 is for limited and open, so there is no box. Mags are measured out of the gun, unloaded.

    Link to pic of tool-

    https://dawsonprecision.com/official...-length-gauge/

  2. #12
    ETS were ok in my Glock but not in a friend's who really needed them. A PPC shooter has them now and said friend will be trying Magpul.

    I do not know why Glock brought out a 24 shot magazine instead of a 21 that would suit Limited.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    ETS were ok in my Glock but not in a friend's who really needed them. A PPC shooter has them now and said friend will be trying Magpul.

    I do not know why Glock brought out a 24 shot magazine instead of a 21 that would suit Limited.
    To restate the obvious, I believe that OEM 17 round magazines will be the most reliable across the greatest range of conditions and bullet profiles and lengths. The further you get away from OEM 17, the more the details matter. And by details, I mean your firearm, the magazine, the cleanliness of the magazine, how you load them, and your bullet profile and length.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Iím just getting into USPSA Open with a pair of Roland Specials. I shoot at a local Level 1 sort of club, and Iíve been using OEM 24 rounders. Considering that I am new and inexperienced, no one has yet asked to measure my mags, but Iíve seen claims of 165mm online.

    If someone was trying to compete at a high level with 9mm mags, then it might be worth optimizing a 170mm solution with higher capacity than the OEM 24s, but Iím happy. Iíve only shot standard pressure 115s and 124s through the mags, and in my very limited experience, I have no complaints and plan to continue along this path.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

  5. #15
    Iíve had good luck with TTI extensions and the ETS mags. But since the Glock OEM 24rd mags became available they are my go to now.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Iím just getting into USPSA Open with a pair of Roland Specials. I shoot at a local Level 1 sort of club, and Iíve been using OEM 24 rounders. Considering that I am new and inexperienced, no one has yet asked to measure my mags, but Iíve seen claims of 165mm online.

    If someone was trying to compete at a high level with 9mm mags, then it might be worth optimizing a 170mm solution with higher capacity than the OEM 24s, but Iím happy. Iíve only shot standard pressure 115s and 124s through the mags, and in my very limited experience, I have no complaints and plan to continue along this path.
    Here is the OEM 24 alongside a MBX 170. As you can see, the OEM 24 is closer to 170mm than 140.

    Name:  4F20C48B-ED9E-4F9F-9F5E-DCBDDA191282.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  27.9 KB

    Given the length of the 24, and that it only holds 24 rounds compared to 28 or 29 in the MBX 170, I would expect the OEM 24 to be more reliable. The only caveat, is I have seen some reports of the OEM 24 having reliability issues in some PCC applications.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  7. #17
    I was an active USPSA shooter for over 25 years. The basepads I used and still use for the glock 140 was Grams and Arredondo. They both worked. I like the Arredondo base pads more and currently only use them. They have been extremely reliable. I have only used them in conjunction with glock magazines. Over the years I have changed out the springs periodically and in a couple of cases, had to replace the mag body. Considering that I know both Ralph and Beven, this review is not colored by that association.

    I have seen glock mag bodies actually cause malfunctions that people associate with base pads and or followers. Something to keep in mind.

    Cheers, Steve

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Here is the OEM 24 alongside a MBX 170. As you can see, the OEM 24 is closer to 170mm than 140.

    Given the length of the 24, and that it only holds 24 rounds compared to 28 or 29 in the MBX 170, I would expect the OEM 24 to be more reliable. The only caveat, is I have seen some reports of the OEM 24 having reliability issues in some PCC applications.
    Thank you for the benefit of your experience and analysis! My PCC is Colt-mag style, so I have nothing useful to contribute regarding PCC, but I did "think" that there would be some sort of trade-off between capacity and max reliability when looking at 170mm 9mm Glock-mag solutions. I think I'll stick with my OEM 24s, but I appreciate knowing that the MBX 170mm exists!
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

  9. #19
    My very lightly used Taran basepad for my G17 has repeatedly failed to lock back the slide when empty.

    I had heard that Dawson used a superior spring to Taran, so I snagged a Dawson spring:
    https://benstoegerproshop.com/glock-...son-precision/

    Sure enough, the Dawson uses a 13-coil spring, vs the 12-coil for the Taran. The Dawson spring is also a good bit longer; the Taran 12 coil in its currently lightly used state is the same length as a 11-coil Glock spring for their 19rd mag.



    I just installed it last night, but I'm hitting the range tomorrow and will report back.

  10. #20
    Swimming past it all fatdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Rural Central Alabama
    +1 for the Dawson kits, those are my CO solution. I have a couple of Arrendondo's that work too. I really appreciate the Dawson design at cleaning time. Never had one disassemble itself when dropped, but have heard people complain about that.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •