Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 140 and 170mm Glock mags

140 and 170mm Glock mags

As part of messing around with a Glock 19 in USPSA Open, I got some longer mags that meet the 170mm requirement for Open.

Name:  14AB3032-14C5-4DB4-BCA7-D416D5BDDABB.jpeg
Views: 946
Size:  65.1 KB

First, I should say that longer magazines can be sensitive to overall cartridge length, and PMC and Lawman is too long for some mags. Syntech 150 and 124 is shorter in overall length and seems to work in the longer magazines. 28 rounds seem to work in the 170 length.

Starting from the left, is an ETS 170mm. These were dirt cheap and I was pretty skeptical. Looking through the translucent mag body, at the cartridges and spring with a fully loaded payload, is not for the faint of heart. As in, that is supposed to work! Surprisingly, so far they have been reliable.

Next is the Magpul 170, but I don’t have enough rounds through them to express an opinion. I like how the cartridges feel loading the ETS more than the PMag.

The Taran 140 extension is my go to solution for a Glock in CO and is as close to bullet proof as any extension is in my experience.

Next is a Taylor Freelance 170 extension that goes on an OEM magazine. Definitely sensitive to cartridge overall length as at about 24 Lawman cartridges, I got a wicked jam that necessitated removing the baseplate and a lot of cursing to resolve. Work fine with Syntech.

Finally, the high dollar solution is the MBX 140 and 170mm magazine options. They have worked fine so far. The mags rattle a bit unloaded, but feel right when loaded. The advantage of the 140 is you can get 23 or 24 rounds in, at the cost of no locking back when open.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I actually had issues with the TTI 140mm extensions but not their PCC extensions oddly enough. Arredondos have been 100% for me.

I should add that I typically shoot shit ammo aka whatever cheapest brass 115 or 124 gr is available, think S&B or blazer.

Loading my PMAG Glock 17 magazines is something of a strange experience, they almost feel like stone cold junk loading them and the spring is stiffer than I've ever seen. That said, I do generally believe Magpul makes good kit and I believe they represent the best value if one is looking to stock all shapes and sizes on a budget.

Can you or anybody else give a length loaded for the Magpul 21 rd / 140mm magazine? I've been looking at them for a shoulder holster reload and suspect they may be too long, I like the added capacity for balancing out the weight of the Glock on the other side of things. Looking at buying a bunch of 28 rounder because.... well zombies, etc.... wondering if I should grab a couple 21's while I'm at it but I won't carry them otherwise so don't want to get stuck with them for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I actually had issues with the TTI 140mm extensions but not their PCC extensions oddly enough. Arredondos have been 100% for me.

I should add that I typically shoot shit ammo aka whatever cheapest brass 115 or 124 gr is available, think S&B or blazer.
    Interesting. My wife and I have a few dozen between us, and our friends shooting Glocks also use them. What problems did you have?

When the ETC mags first came out I bought a couple regular length for action pistol and used them loaded with 13 rounds. At one match the match director, a frequent Bianchi Cup top ten finisher, said something disparaging about them and, being a contrary sort, I bought a bunch when they went on sale. I had zero problems with them.

When we began shooting PCC the ETS 32 rounders became our go to mags. Again, no problem.

A couple years ago I switched from a G19x to a(n) S&W 2.0 and bought a bunch of ETS mags for that pistol. Again, no problems.

When I briefly dipped my toe into USPSA I used ETS 140mm mags in my 320 X5 and my G22.

I agree with GJM, it is kind of disconcerting to look through the translucent body and see the spring all twisted up; equally disturbing, to me anyways, is seeing the spring get kind of rusty looking.

But, they work.

I've used a couple of magpuls, both standard and 140mm. They worked OK for the most part but, as mentioned, seemed harder to load and their lack of intermediate round witness marks bothered me enough that I drilled my own into the mag bodies.

I would note that I don't shoot steel case ammo, so can't comment on reliability of either ETS or Magpul with steel case rounds. I use Hornady One-Shot on tumbled cases when reloading and don't do anything to remove the one shot before gauging and boxing. That practice hasn't caused me any issues, either.

I think the ETS and the Magpul (to a lesser extent) are solid range mags and good competition mags if you are so inclined, but I adhere to the doctrine of OEM for EDC or duty.

JMO.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Can you or anybody else give a length loaded for the Magpul 21 rd / 140mm magazine? I've been looking at them for a shoulder holster reload and suspect they may be too long, I like the added capacity for balancing out the weight of the Glock on the other side of things. Looking at buying a bunch of 28 rounder because.... well zombies, etc.... wondering if I should grab a couple 21's while I'm at it but I won't carry them otherwise so don't want to get stuck with them for that reason.
    140mm or 5.512 inches.

ETS 21 rounders were always sensitive to dirt and sand for me. One drop in a sandy area of a stage and that mag wouldn't feed right till it was cleaned out.

Pmag21s were less sensitive, but still nowhere near OEM mags. I've also worn out the feed lips on a few which allow the top round to rotate up too high.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Interesting. My wife and I have a few dozen between us, and our friends shooting Glocks also use them. What problems did you have?
    The follower would bind- I think it was a problem of the supplied springs they sent me. I didn't test too much more because I returned them due to issues with 2/5 I had. I then got more arredondos and those never hiccup for me. My experience seems to be atypical with the TTIs but I think the arredondos basepad lock system is also superior.

The 21 round P-mags are the only non-OEM extended magazine I've ever tried in my Glocks. I had a few failures to feed with flat nosed ball ammo (my own loads, and Winchester and Federal factory). It happened mostly in my old Gen 4 G19 (that is now down the road, in favor of Gen5 guns). It happened often enough, that I decided I wouldn't carry one as a defensive reload with JHP ammo in it. For futzing around on the range, it wasn't a problem. Supposedly the P-mags are not fully Gen5 compatible, but I don't know why that is. I did have one jam, the same failure to feed, with the 21rd P-mag in my first Gen5 19.

OEM mags, 15/17/24 round have all been very reliable for me. As have a few that I have put the OEM +2's on. Again, no issues. I trust the OEM 24rd mags enough to carry them as a "repel borders" backup in my truck/car consoles. I haven't measured one, but I assume it might be pushing the limit on a 170mm length.

I keep thinking I should try out an aluminum +5 or something like that, but I have a hard time trusting non-OEM mags/parts/extensions enough for carry use. If I ever did carry one, it'd be as a reload, not the mag in the gun. I really should get back into USPSA, now that my work situation has changed. I'd give me an excuse to prove these out under some stress.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    140mm or 5.512 inches.
    So that is measured with the cartridge sticking out of the feed lips? I have no 'box' experience so still don't understand whether they measure loaded or unloaded.

User Tag List