Thread: Sig Sauer P320 and P250 lockup defect

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Sig Sauer P320 and P250 lockup defect

Including both guns in the title because they use the same barrel part numbers and very similar FCUs, so I reason the lockup has to be the same.

I just picked up a P250 Compact in 9mm as I've been threatening to do for years. My daily search results from GB included one that was offered at a fixed price from a local FFL, and I went over and picked it up brick and mortar after work. It appears to have been fired at the factory, but not after. The white grease applied to the FCU with a brush prior to assembly is still undisturbed, and there were only three grains of unburned powder in the frame. A few more in the barrel. Zero wear on the mag follower. Zero smilies. So a brand new gun, at a competitive used-gun price, and was able to avoid shipping and transfer fees.

The problem: It hangs up and doesn't go into battery every time because the locking lug on the barrel hangs too low. I noticed it was a little sticky in the store, and figured it was just "new gun"-ness and would break in. But further examination at home reveals it takes a significant amount of force to drive it into lockup. It's not dry, there's plenty of factory oil still on everything inside it. Unless it has the full inertia of being dropped from all the way back, and sometimes even then, it stops hard at the point where the locking lug meets the cross bar.

This is the second Sig I've gotten with a significant negative-clearance lockup. The first was a used P220 that appeared to have a brand new frame under a nicely broken in (but not too much) slide. It wouldn't go into battery. Most of the problem was a machining defect in the slide that prevented the barrel hood from rising all the way up into position. I reasoned that the negative-clearance lockup would put massively excessive normal force on the rails and tear up the frame in short order, hence the new frame on a slightly used slide. Whoever had put that slide and barrel on the new frame had failed to identify that obvious and serious problem. I fixed the slide defect, but the lug still needed a little burnish after the slide was fixed. I fit it so the lockup was a snug slip fit, and it's pretty sweet.

Based on those observations, I have proposed the hypothesis that variability in the lockup fitting from the factory is a significant contributing factor, if not the "red X," in the observed variation in frame rail wear among classic Sigs. Some barely polish the anodizing in several thousand rounds, some initially wear noticeably and then stop, and others eat themselves in a ridiculously small number of rounds. Of course, when things go badly in a hurry, Sig blames the customer and the internets blame whatever lubing protocol was used.

On my new P250, the surface of the locking lug that bears against the crossbar in the FCU has a different finish from the rest of the barrel. The rest of the barrel is smooth, but the lug has obvious machining tool marks on it, indicating it was machined separately from the rest of the barrel, possibly some time later. This tells me there is at least some special attention paid to the dimension of this feature, if not fitting for each particular gun. But this one was not machined enough. Yet another example of an out-of-the-box unserviceable gun, and why "out of the box to the range" doesn't exist in my world. A person could take this to the range and struggle with it not functioning well while it tore itself up, damaging other features and components in ways that would permanently impair the performance and/or service life of the gun, or they could fix it before taking it to the range and receive long service from a great-performing gun. (It occurs to me that this is ironically appropriate for a gun that is, in a sense, 2.50 K frames.)

The fit of the barrel in the slide is perfect with zero play, so this gun has excellent potential. I look at this as an opportunity to get it just right, rather than relying on Sig's service center to distract themselves from reworking P320s and f it up again. My other P250s are a .22LR and a .380, and neither of them have any issue with this. I guess I could just compare it to them and make everybody matchy-matchy.

Figured I'd put up my hand and see if any of our folks with experience with a large number of P320s or who have been to P320 armorer school know what the spec is on this. (Remember barrels are the same part numbers for P250 and P320.) This gun is obviously too tight, but does Sig want it a little bit tight? Is slight negative clearance a means of compensating for the inherent flexibility of the FCU? Do they wear in and loosen up as the rail "fingers" on the FCU and slide get worn in, or if they are "right on" to start with, will they stay that way and not loosen up?

ETA: I did my deep dive on P250 generations a long time ago. This is a later Gen 2 version, with the contoured rather than flat take down lever. Nothing to do with the Gen 1 suckage here.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-06-2022 at 10:52 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Interesting. My original Sig P320 X-Five (pre-Legion) was extremely tight (phrasing) and had a similar issue. It never caused me any issues shooting the gun and I shot it a decent amount. It was an absolute tack driver and I assumed this was the reason, but never really worried much about it.

Site Supporter
    I urge the op to consult Sig. Then share that conversation.

I have 2 pre Legion P32x5's. Both shoot under 2'' with 115-125 JHP.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Interesting. My original Sig P320 X-Five (pre-Legion) was extremely tight (phrasing) and had a similar issue. It never caused me any issues shooting the gun and I shot it a decent amount. It was an absolute tack driver and I assumed this was the reason, but never really worried much about it.
    Early versions of the X5 and XCarry had so-called “pre-tensioned” barrels. My early X-Carry with this barrel has a similar “stutter” when going into battery dry but it’s a tack driver and has been reliable with any brass cased ammo.

Hadn’t seen the issue in any subsequent “regular” P320s till we got new optics slides. However, those slides were completely degreased to facilitate mounting be UIS and optics. We were also retaining /installing the previous barrels and RSA. In every case adding oil and putting a few magazines worth of ammo through them has eliminated the “issue.”

How much of this is mating a brand-new slide with a barrel that already has 1000 or 2000 rounds on it is hard to say.

It had no practical effect on accuracy or reliability.

The closest I’ve seen to the issue with the rough edge as you describe was in a few P365 pistols. They went into battery fine but they were very hard to rotate the takedown lever on and/or remove the slide. When the slides were removed the takedown levers had rough edges. This was two or three years ago, we were advised that SIG got a bad batch of takedown levers. We stoped seeing it in new guns and it has not reoccurred.

The OP’s issue sounds more like SIG’s on going tolerance stacking/quality control issues.

The lockup in the P250/P320 is similar to the classic piece series cigar and some of those guns went to ridiculous round counts if proper PMCS was performed. I’m aware of FAMS guns with over 80k of .357 on them and @Surf had a work P226 .40 that went 160k.

That said I’ve always had the impression that the P250 and the P320 were intended to be semi disposable guns designed for an era in which it is cheaper to replace pistols than to refurbish them.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-08-2022 at 10:48 PM.

FWIW, my two P250C's, purchased shortly before they were discontinued, exhibited no such issues.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List