Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: identity theft monitoring service

Site Supporter

identity theft monitoring service

Hi, all. Last night my mother-in-law was using her computer, and the computer starting making alarm noises and some sort of warning came up on the screen telling her to call some number. Long story made short, she called the number, gave the person all the information they needed to remote into her computer, wrote a check to someone for $200, and then the person on the phone took a picture of the check using her computer. My wife found out about about this mess this morning. My mother-in-law has already gone to the bank, stopped payment on the check, and closed that checking account. I have no idea what other information may have been stolen from her computer when the person accessed it remotely, but I think signing her up for an identity theft protection/credit monitoring service right away would be a good idea.

Can anyone recommend a good identity theft/credit monitoring service? I recently became aware of Aura, and it seems to be well-reviewed on the few review sights I've check. If anyone uses them, I'd certainly appreciate your feedback. Likewise, if anyone is using some similar service.

Thank you.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Freeze all her credit immediately. Put a Fraud alert on, which lasts one year. It's free and it's better than monitoring services. You must contact each of the 3 credit bureaus independantly for a freeze, but only one for a fraud alert.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/wh...s-fraud-alerts
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Freeze all her credit immediately. Put a Fraud alert on, which lasts one year. It's free and it's better than monitoring services. You must contact each of the 3 credit bureaus independantly for a freeze, but only one for a fraud alert.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/wh...s-fraud-alerts
    Thank you! That's exactly the advice I got from a knowledgeable non-PF member friend. Will proceed as per your advice.

Sounds like my dad. I'll just click YES on everything!!!! Luckily he's to suspicious to give away money otherwise I'd be doing this once a year, at least!

Good luck

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Credit freezes and fraud alert were put in place today by my wife. I don't know how much happened between the event and today, but I think she should be locked down pretty tightly now. Thanks, @BehindBlueI's.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Credit freezes and fraud alert were put in place today by my wife. I don't know how much happened between the event and today, but I think she should be locked down pretty tightly now. Thanks, @BehindBlueI's.
    If Granny is senile, she might lift it herself if she knows how. After I discovered that my father was giving away money by writing checks, I changed the account to Pop and Willie which then required two signatures. This had to be done, but it ruined our relationship. Some might be surprised about just who will steal from old folks. You can put preachers at the top of the list. Pop lived in Mississippi, and I told Rev Larry that I would take him back to Texas with me by way of Laredo. Has anyone heard of planned giving? Some preachers will roam hospitals and nursing homes seeking money to be left to their church. Some undertakers will sneak around too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    If Granny is senile, she might lift it herself if she knows how. After I discovered that my father was giving away money by writing checks, I changed the account to Pop and Willie which then required two signatures. This had to be done, but it ruined our relationship. Some might be surprised about just who will steal from old folks. You can put preachers at the top of the list. Pop lived in Mississippi, and I told Rev Larry that I would take him back to Texas with me by way of Laredo. Has anyone heard of planned giving? Some preachers will roam hospitals and nursing homes seeking money to be left to their church. Some undertakers will sneak around too.
    She's not senile, and until this week has never been conned, that I know of. She has never been a good sleeper, and I suspect this might have happened very late at night when she wasn't her sharpest. ~15 years ago, my father-in-law lost a whole lot of money in a scam business deal with a church member. The guy burned through a lot of cash, ran up a huge debt, and then moved to Texas, though not near Laredo.

My great aunt, who passed away years ago, bought $10,000 worth of gold coins for $30,000. The woman at the coin company "befriended" her and would give her preferential access to "special" coins. People will definitely take advantage of the elderly if the chance arises. I tell my kids "don't ever trust anyone." Hopefully I won't turn them into complete cynics.

I've had my credit frozen since OPM decided to share our details with the world. I did fraud alerts on the missus.

(I don't plan on borrowing any money, so I may never have to lift the freeze.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've had my credit frozen since OPM decided to share our details with the world. I did fraud alerts on the missus.

(I don't plan on borrowing any money, so I may never have to lift the freeze.)
    Hey, blues, let me hold your money for you.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Hey, blues, let me hold your money for you.
    I can't get at it.

(Just because I was raised not to buy what I couldn't afford, don't make me rich. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List