Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Android cell phone / provider

New Android cell phone / provider

I was planning on replacing screen protector on my Galaxy S10. After removing the cover, it appears the case is coming and unglued with a slight bulge in the back (possible battery bloat).
    This puts me in the market for a new phone. It has to be Android, accept SD cards and have wireless charging. These are the only "hard requirements" I have.
    I currently have T-Mobile and wouldn't be opposed switching. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Site Supporter
    SD card slots are getting harder to find on new phones. Wondering what drives this as a must? Maybe solvable in another way?

FWIW, I'll likely be picking up a Pixel 6a when it launches in a few weeks.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I don't think it has SD card capability but I am happy w/ my Galaxy S21. I got it a couple weeks before the S22 came out so you would be looking at the newer S22 now.

Site Supporter
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

As far as the actual phone itself goes I don't know. As far as the provider is concerned I've been using Cricket for a number of years now. There are no contracts at all, so you are not locked in if you find something better.

I personally have 10GB per month with unlimited talk and text and I've never used up that much data. I pay $35 per month because I have it tied to auto pay on my CC. If you want to go unlimited everything you can get it for $55 a month if you use the auto pay. You can also move between plans month to month if needed. There are not contracts or long term commitments.

You just pay out of pocket and purchase any device you would like to use and they will activate it. All I know is it's cheaper and just as reliable than anything else I've been able to find.

Curious so I looked it up: NONE of the Galaxy S22 series has a SD card slot.

Darn.

ETA: maybe invest in one of these?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    ETA: maybe invest in one of these?
    That's why I asked why the need for SD. If you can't fit your regular life on a 128Gb phone memory, that's different from needing to run some security or portable application that has to run from SD.

There are inexpensive and free solutions for the first problem, such at the one you suggested, or simply offloading images, etc to your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    ...simply offloading images, etc to your computer.
    Which we should be doing regularly anyway.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I use ATT prepaid and buy my phones unlocked outright. I havent found a better deal. If you do auto pay or have multiple phones theres a discount.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I use ATT prepaid and buy my phones unlocked outright. I havent found a better deal. If you do auto pay or have multiple phones theres a discount.
    My parents switch over to Cricket and their monthly bill went from something like $180 to $60 or $70 a month.

There is no way I will ever go back to contracts and all that crap. Just buying the phone you like IMO is a much better option.

User Tag List