Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Columbus, Ohio (thought experiment)

Does Ohio still have that unfortunate preponderance of evidence standard for self defense? I think I read that in Branca's 'Law of Self Defense' book.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    Does Ohio still have that unfortunate preponderance of evidence standard for self defense? I think I read that in Branca's 'Law of Self Defense' book.
    I do not believe so. Ohio is almost turning into another Gunshine State, without the sunshine part.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    Not (anymore) with current SYG legislation.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Unless you have to, I’d avoid living in Franklin County and live in a surrounding county. Delaware county (north) is nice. You’d probably get more bang for your buck in Madison County (W & SW) or Pickaway County (S) house-wise.

Lots of gun shops, some nice, some not so much, around Columbus. Plenty of matches within 60-90 minutes.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Class 3 stuff isn’t a problem. You can own pretty much whatever as long as you have the magic stamp.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Rob,

I just recently accepted a job opportunity in Columbus OH. On mobile now so hard to share all my thoughts. My family and I are coming from a beautiful low crime area in Western NC. I don’t aim to be in OH that long but it was a career move we couldn’t turn down. I was in Columbus proper for several weeks in 2019 and enjoyed my stay. Looking into it recently the concerns around crime weighted heavily on me. That said our long term intention is to move ourselves into more rural communities so this move is kind of in the opposite direction for us anyways.

Ultimately I decided to settle in Delaware OH and commute. The biggest driving factor for me was Delawares smaller population, lower crime but with enough culture and things to do to satisfy us.

I’m no expert on the area but just wanted to share my recent experience.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

One thing I will offer is that here it does seem to be fairly easy (IMO) to lower your potential for crime, but probably hard to quantify remotely. I live in the Dayton area and there are areas with some significant peril, not so far away from (IMO) great places to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercworx View Post
    Rob,

I just recently accepted a job opportunity in Columbus OH. On mobile now so hard to share all my thoughts. My family and I are coming from a beautiful low crime area in Western NC. I don’t aim to be in OH that long but it was a career move we couldn’t turn down. I was in Columbus proper for several weeks in 2019 and enjoyed my stay. Looking into it recently the concerns around crime weighted heavily on me. That said our long term intention is to move ourselves into more rural communities so this move is kind of in the opposite direction for us anyways.

Ultimately I decided to settle in Delaware OH and commute. The biggest driving factor for me was Delawares smaller population, lower crime but with enough culture and things to do to satisfy us.

I’m no expert on the area but just wanted to share my recent experience.
    Delaware is a nice area.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    One thing I will offer is that here it does seem to be fairly easy (IMO) to lower your potential for crime, but probably hard to quantify remotely. I live in the Dayton area and there are areas with some significant peril, not so far away from (IMO) great places to live.
    I had heard Columbus described as a “block by block” city. Million dollar homes a few streets down from a slum.

I found that a little tough to try and navigate at a distance so opted for a safe bet and long commute.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Delaware is a nice area.

Thank you for that. I’ve had some anxiety around this move for some reason.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

I'm in the Plain City, London, West Jeff area. I avoid Cbus and the outer belt as much as possible. Madison County is home and commute to Dayton, Montgomery county frequently. As @Lon said, NFA items are very common around here, plenty of dealers.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List