Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Columbus, Ohio (thought experiment)

RFI: Columbus, Ohio (thought experiment)

disclaimer: this is a "rob_s thought experiment". if those kinds of threads offend you, best to move along.

that out of the way...

I was perusing job openings and one popped up in Columbus, Ohio. Made me realize that I know nothing about the area. Curious about the typical suburban dad type questions (what's the airport like? how's the crime? what is there for families to do? how's the weather?) but also the shooting-world-specific questions (good IDPA/USPSA in the area? sporting clays? what's the laws like? CIII?).
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Hi Rob,

So, metro Columbus is what you think a nice kinda overgrown college town would be. That has been run by Liberals for the last 50 years. So they are struggling with a failing school system, moral in the police, rising crime, etc. But all of the surrounding areas are more Conservative. And as such are nice places to live and raise a family. Lower crime, good schools and higher property values.

Lots of restaurants, shopping and entertainment opportunities.

The airport is easy in and easy out. Good connections to almost anywhere you want to go, but maybe not direct flights. I flew out of it for years professionally and liked. Parking is still super easy.

Tons of outdoor recreational opportunities. Lots of public land to hike, bike, camp, hunt and fish within an hour.

Lots of shooting opportunities with in an hour or an hour and a half too. Sporting Clays, skeet, IDPA, 3 Gun and PRS.

Weather is typical Midwest. Hot & humid in the summer and cold and wet in the winter...

Columbus GDP is growing really quickly and it is now the largest city in the state.

Feel free tp PM me if you want my contact info for specific questions.

Bruce

ETA: Ohio just passed Constitutional Carry.

afternoon, depending on where you are living now, the term "cold" might not be really understood without the term "very" in front of cold.

same with summer/humidity...

https://weatherspark.com/y/17263/Ave...es-Year-Round#

Columbus is a huge college town w/66K currently enrolled and hundred of thousands who graduated and never left the area per se.

great city & nearby outlining areas but some find the overal environment 'snobbish' at best, especially if you're an olde fart or have olde ideas of how things should be done...

Freeway traffic is horrific at best most times.

the commentary about eating establishments is spot on...

good luck on your job search in columbus...

finally thought if one could pick one spot in O HI O...columbus is it.

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    afternoon, depending on where you are living now, the term "cold" might not be really understood without the term "very" in front of cold.

thanks for the reply.

On the warm side of that equation (temp and humidity), doesn't hold a candle to current location. Seems downright brisk!

On the cold side, about 30 degrees colder than where we currently live!
    https://weatherspark.com/y/18695/Ave...tes-Year-Round
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post

Columbus is a huge college town w/66K currently enrolled and hundred of thousands who graduated and never left the area per se.

great city & nearby outlining areas but some find the overal environment 'snobbish' at best, especially if you're an olde fart or have olde ideas of how things should be done...

Freeway traffic is horrific at best most times.

the commentary about eating establishments is spot on...

good luck on your job search in columbus...

finally thought if one could pick one spot in O HI O...columbus is it.
    Most of my misspent adolescence was spent in Columbus ..well, Westerville and the surrounding area.A great place in the 1980s, I went to OSU (main campus) and took my first cop job there in the late 1980s. If it was now as it was then, I would move back. The population has exploded and the outlying 'burbs like Dublin, New Albany, Pataskala, Reynoldsburg, and Pickerington are where all of the taxpayers are moving to these days. Those places used to be ''out in the country'' when I lived there, now they're subject to massive urban sprawl and the infrastructure is simply insufficient to handle it. Adding to the crowded feel of these once remote places is the fact that industry has also begun to move outwards....Amazon has a million square foot facility in Etna Twp with another (smaller) one near it and more in the works.

Traffic is horrible... don't get me started on the hellish glut of traffic that can usually be found on I-270 (the outer belt that circles Columbus) that more closely resembles a hyper-competitive racing event (complete with what I'd call predatory driving antics) than a typical rush hour...

I've got family all over town, but I am glad that I don't live there anymore. The outer burbs are alright, but downtown is best avoided especially after dark for a host of reasons.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Back before the turn of the millennium, I sometimes stayed with a friend who lived in a part of Columbus, I think it was called German Village. It seemed like a nice place; smallish houses, restaurants, etc.

(She got married and moved to America's Limp Penis.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    (She got married and moved to America's Limp Penis.)
    I'll bite, as it were. What/where is America's Limp Penis?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I'll bite, as it were. What/where is America's Limp Penis?
    It's got to be Florida, right?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    I don't know, really. NJ has that weird little appendage at the bottom, if we're talking strictly topographic features. The tri-state area and Massachusetts are pretty limp-dick if we're talking basic restrictions on red-blooded Americanism (so NJ gets bonus points). Plus pretty much all of California and the Pacific Northwest, come to think of it. Too many sad, sad choices for me to say.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    We have a winner!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List