Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: EDC ideas for places where everything is illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    One of those things has always been a high output flashlight. Even in Japan, where even a 2” knife blade is not an option, this never got as much as a second glance from authorities, because anyone in an earthquake prone region with common sense carries some sort of light. Even the old crenellated Surefires didn’t get any scrutiny back when I carried those.

The fact that a durable high candela light also provides two separate force options is especially useful.
    I am also firmly in this camp. Along with the obvious SA benefit in low-light environments, a blindingly bright (high candela) flashlight can be used to good effect in a number of ways for self defense.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

This thread is kind of old but I thought I might have some useful info to provide. Hopefully.
    My background, born, raised and still live in NYC, God help me. 22 years NY LE. Trained with Ken Hackathorn (2x), Pat Rogers (2X), John Farnham (2x), Mas Ayoob LFI1, and the late Jim Cirillo once. Trained Pikiti Tersia Arnis for several years.

First, get some form of insurance for use of self defense. Last I checked it wasn't available in NYS, except for the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Fund. Don't know how it would work if you're insured in another state that you reside in but are in NY. This is good idea in general but ESPECIALLY so in ant-gun/self defense NYS/NYC.

What's legal in NYC? A knife with a blade no longer than 4". It didn't specify a folder last I checked but a fixed blade is going to be very hard to explain in NYC. And probably would be presumptively a weapon. The "gravity" knife nonsense was ended. EXCEPT on public transit. So It would be smart to have a knife that doesn't flick open when on public transit. And of course one that doesn't look menacing, no black blade coatings, serrations, or scary names. And nothing too big. Think Delica, or that size. Non black handles are a good idea as well. Pens, of course, but again stay away from the overly "tacticool" or "spikey". LE is aware of what they are. Does it make them illegal to possess? Not at all. But lower profile attracts less attention to your other tools. And of course doesn't look scary or like you were looking for trouble if you unfortunately have to use it and go to trial. And I suppose you would/could acquire another charge under NY's catch all deadly weapon law if it's used or intended as such. Tuff Writers click pens in "friendly" colors are great as are Zebra' heavy duty metal pen. Again stay away from black colored one's is a good idea.
    Pepper spray is legal, but there are murky restrictions on it being "pocket" size. And I believe the NYS AG established a strength and weight limit. I think it best you research that to your satisfaction rather then my "telling" you what's legal.
    The law against a visible pocket clip is still around, but ignored by many. I see guys on the train all the time with one showing. Does that mean do it? No. But it's like many things in NYC, and this is important, if you don't look like a skel LE tend to ignore you or if they see the clip ignore it. Does that mean it's guaranteed? Again no. Just pointing out you're not going to pull attention if you A- Are over 25 or so AND B-Don't look like a skel.
    Flashlight's of course are still legal, again stay away from the spikey, tacticool ones. Even a multi cell Mag-Lite is legal. Hard too explain again, maybe it's the only flashlight you have? Why would you carry a light? Everyone takes the train in NYC at some point or might have to to get somewhere, flashlights are a really good idea if the lights go out down there.

And something I don't think was mentioned your bags can still be searched randomly. There were cops at various and random subway stations doing this. Generally before entry to the system. But since Covid, or maybe 2020, it's definitely less. In fact I haven't seen it in several years. So the standard to search your person is still the same, but not your bags or packages.

The subways are becoming very dangerous, mentally unstable people everywhere. I see between 5 and 10 every time I ride. And the city isn't doing anything about it. You'll see people sleeping on the floor and cops don't even check to see if they're alive. Also a rise in random attacks. Just saw on the news today subway crime is up 40%! You'll also see them on the streets, mostly in Manhattan. Your awareness has to be at it's peak on the subway. If it looks remotely like trouble go to the next car or move down the platform. You can wait for the train by the token booth, which are generally staffed again. The clerks aren't supposed to and generally won't come out to help you (and they're not trained or equipped too) but they can call for help. There will be an audible alert that the train is coming and a indicator of which one usually on a digital display board. Generally the booths are near enough to the stairs or the platform itself that you have time to make the train if you're in good health. Not always. In those cases check the digital display, it will indicate how many minutes out the arriving trains are. You can then go to the platform within the time you need to get there but have waited by the booth most of the time. Especially do this at night, especially late nights when the station may be empty. When riding the train sit in the first car, or the conductors car. For the same reasons I suggest staying near the token booth, they'll call for help. The conductors car is generally approximately the middle car. To find it exactly you can look for a "sign" with vertical black and white stripes, this is where they stop. It's usually suspended from the ceiling, near the platforms edge and the over head lights there, sometimes it will be on the wall of the station. It's rectangular, about 4 to 6 feet long, about 6 to 8 inches high and white on the side facing you. Unfortunately the stripes face the train, not you. You have to get close to the edge to see them. Not super close, well for a NYer anyway, and you can tell what it is once you know what you're looking for. And it only takes a quick look, obviously don't do it if you see someone suspicious near you. Or at all if you don't feel safe doing it. Try to stay off the subway if you can and take cabs, Uber, etc.

Now for some advice with the caveat don't expect this to be written in stone or guaranteed. What I said about not being noticed if you don't look like an obvious threat, most cops just aren't looking at you. Or if they do will "read" you as a non skel/problem and give you a pass if they see a knife pocket clip. Even less guaranteed, but true, cops are trying REALLY hard not to get involved if possible, and have a more leave it alone attitude if it's not an obvious in progress crime. Not a criticism or a judgement, just the truth.

Good luck.

In my previous post I mistakenly said a knife blade no longer than 4". It's actually UNDER 4". So 3 7/8" would be good to go but definitely possible the desk Sargeant or a judge will be measuring that blade length. I doubt any LE is going to have a ruler on them at the scene to tell an 1/8". Do you want that potential hassle in your day? Besides the longer the blade the more likely it will look like a weapon and you'll get more of "Why do you have this, what do you use it for?". You're pretty likely to get that with any knife bigger than a small Swiss Army knife in NYC. Be prepared accordingly. I say this because some people who don't live in NYC or another big city don't seem to understand the average joe NOT having a knife on him being the norm. You're unlikely to be arrested or summonsed for a knife that's totally legal but it's possible. It's just "odd" to any NYer's eyes, including cops.

I also failed to mention random searching of your bags is only on public transit.

With regard to the leeway you might get if you don't look like a criminal or are committing a crime if a knife clip is seen, again it's not written in stone and I wouldn't suggest it. I was more trying to give a sense of the current state of affairs regarding cops stopping people with visible clips.

Also I realize some of my advice on the subways may have been confusing, I just couldn't come up with better descriptions in some cases. It will be clearer once you see it. Also I was on the trains the other day and several times the conductor stopped his car somewhere further ahead or behind that striped "sign". But they were close to it. Again plan accordingly. No plan survives first contact with NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by DownZero View Post
    I doubt any LE is going to have a ruler on them at the scene to tell an 1/8".
    Smartphones are pretty ubiquitous these days.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

True! I guess I just revealed what a tech idiot I am. And how old. Totally forgot those. I try not to use one. Too much of an invasion of my privacy. Thanks for the reminder.

User Tag List