Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC ideas for places where everything is illegal

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    one of the reasons i keep/take a walking cane w/me when i go to no-SD handgun locales...strictly to assist with my 'walking problems' of course! just saying...
    Like @curious, I'd favor an appropriate, non-militarized cane. Take one anywhere. Can be useful with only a bit of training; additional training improves usefullness. There are numerous escrima teachers in New York. But Filipino stick is not the only alternative as almost every culture has a stick art and someone who teaches it. Personally, I'm curious about the broadsword / singlestick / naval cutless as tought over a series of weekends by Ben Kerr in West Palm Beach, FL.

https://palmbeachhema.com/

When I worked in DC and rode the Metro I carried an EMT belt holster holster with sturdy flashhlight, pen, forceps and shears. Only time I had to use it when a lowlife tried to snatch a lady's purse I grabbed the dirt bag's ear with the forceps and when the scissors came out he wet himself so no further action was needed.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 05-06-2022 at 04:50 PM.

People that walk down a city street carrying a cane with no obvious need for a cane stand out like a sore thumb.

Sounds like a great way to draw attention to yourself and occupy a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    I lived in and near NYC for years (but no longer). My experience, and that of many friends who lived there, is that since there are so many people around in so many instances, and at all hours of the day and night, the vibe is more at ease and not so threatening in terms of personal safety. True story.

Yes, bad things can certainly happen to anyone, anywhere, and any time. But pay attention, don't frequent sketchy areas or walk around in odd places in the middle of the night, project quiet confidence and you'll generally be fine. And carry a high-intensity flashlight that you can quickly deploy for the odd (and rare) scenario when a weird threat arises. The good thing about flashlights is that they're legal to carry and operate everywhere---and can very deftly serve as an effective tool to stun if not temporarily blind a would-be assailant.
    I understand these points of "avoid bad areas" but I also would like to remind people of my favorite primer for self defense which is this story
    https://gothamist.com/news/city-argu...admans-rampage

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    People that walk down a city street carrying a cane with no obvious need for a cane stand out like a sore thumb.

100% concur and...

1) If somebody is five or six feet away from you, you can whale the living shit out of them with a cane or similar object like an ASP baton.

2) There are plenty of cases where you might be able to justify some use of force, but clubbing them with a wooden stick might be a little much.

3) Lightweight striking implements like ASP batons and most canes actually are pretty shitty weapons. With the ASP in particular, the training is to hit major muscle groups but avoid joints and particularly the head. This leads to videos of cops repeatedly clubbing people like a baby seal, with little effect on their behavior. If you employ them against things like knees, you are trying to hit a point target in a wild melee, and if you connect and blow out a knee, again it's a pretty high level of force. Hitting somebody in the head with wooden club gets you into "lethal force" territory pretty quick.

4) At conversational/FUT range, where lots of assaults happen, a cane or baton is a giant, useless liability.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post

hummm...have to go read what i posted cuz if i have a cane, it is in use...trust me...with 'my walking condition' I can truly gimp with the best of them...

Site Supporter

NYC Advice

I policed in NY for 20 years. If you are factoring the NYS Penal Law into your weapon carry decision, I recommend you read the definitions for Deadly Weapons and Dangerous Instruments. DWs need no intent for a charge. DIs need intent. Intent can be inferred from how the instrument is used or what happens afterwards (like ditching the screw driver). You should also be familiar with NYS Criminal Procedure Law regarding Justification. If your use of force was not justified, then your dangerous instrument will elevate charges.

From my jaded NYC experiences--I was born in Manhattan--NYC can be a great place to work and play if you can afford it. When I warn people about NYC, it's about cost not crime. Since I was police, I could never afford NYC the way it needed to be done. But now here in Austin, NYC is looking more and more affordable. Three "S" is a must to practice. I did a lot of stupid things, went to stupid places, and hung out with stupid people. But I never held a party where I introduced one "S" to another. Be situationally aware. Know the "tells" of weapon carry so you can spot an adversary. Stay away from the edge of subway platforms. Don't stand at the edge of the curb when waiting for a 'Walk' sign. Don't look at people as if they were threats. That can be read real easy by the receiver. There are neighborhoods where you might feel uncomfortable. Stay away from them. It is your discomfort that will mark you as a victim.

I don't study NYC crime data anymore, and I defer to all active LEO's to weigh-in on my next statement. Most violent crimes involve victims who know their adversary. If that statement is true, you'll love NY, but bring a lot of money.

Maybe check out the weapons chapter of Greg Elifritz's "Choose Adventure" book.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Thick metal water bottle with a skinny ish neck (easier to grab and swing)

Flashlight

Thick metal pen

Situational awareness

I think it was in class that @Cecil Burch said "You can't disarm me."

And that was powerful. Because I do NOT want to fuck with him.

User Tag List