Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: EDC ideas for places where everything is illegal

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    All of my regular belts, including riggers belts are slow to take off. That's unacceptable for the scenario I'm envisioning: multiple attackers in a mugging/assault/mob situation.

The Lenwood belt has a stud buckle and I trimmed mine so it doesn't have much extra length. I would say ~2 seconds to get it into action using a proper double-around-wrist grip.

I agree that pants falling down is problematic. I've done that to people on the mat, and it's hard to fight back from.

And I agree--none of this is a substitute for OC spray.
    Yes, the Lenwood looks a lot better for that purpose.

Is the company of manufacture marked anywhere on the belt?

Because if you use it for self defense and you call the cops, when they find your attacker/mugger/etc. bloodied up like they were beaten with a Louisville Slugger, the investigator may google the unusually weighty belt.

And on the site, it is being marketed as a weapon. IANAL and don't know if that would result in any further consequences, but we are talking about a highly non-permissive jurisdiction after all.

(is Gabe Suarez consulting for them?)

"The Lenwood Blunt Force Trauma Belt - Look good and break faces!"

"
    Now with the addition of the skullcrusher buckle you have a weapon you can take anywhere, because it is well, “just a belt”

"The Lenwood BFT is a great belt for packing a pistol, EDC, casual, and ever dress wear, but it's FAR more than just a belt. It is an extremely effective weapon!"
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

EDC ideas for places where everything is illegal

All good questions. The belt is sterile. No markings. I view this as a last-resort weapon but I'm expecting to have some explaining to do if it gets used.

Edit: the belt would also be a great option for dealing with a dog attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Yes, the Lenwood looks a lot better for that purpose.

Is the company of manufacture marked anywhere on the belt?

Because if you use it for self defense and you call the cops, when they find your attacker/mugger/etc. bloodied up like they were beaten with a Louisville Slugger, the investigator may google the unusually weighty belt.

And on the site, it is being marketed as a weapon. IANAL and don't know if that would result in any further consequences, but we are talking about a highly non-permissive jurisdiction after all.

(is Gabe Suarez consulting for them?)
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-10-2022 at 07:39 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    All good questions. The belt is sterile. No markings. I view this as a last-resort weapon but I'm expecting to have some explaining to do if it gets used.
    Sterile is good.

Knowing what you carry, if you're in such drag out fight that you had to belt whip somebody into submission, I suspect your choice of belts would be the least of things needing an explanation.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Sterile is good.

Knowing what you carry, if you're in such drag out fight that you had to belt whip somebody into submission, I suspect your choice of belts would be the least of things needing an explanation.
    I’ve only carried the belt in Europe and Scandinavia where I don’t have many tools on me.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Just wanted to vent a bit regarding my most recent trip to England. My wife and I returned from England yesterday. She grew up there after her family returned to England from Australia where she was born. So we have friends and family there. This was my 3rd trip. Now I like England and the history of the small villages, pubs, historic sites etc. But it makes me crazy that I can't really carry any defensive tools there. Knives are out unless it's any extremely small blade, and if you used it defensively, it would be determined an offensive weapon. Firearms are out obviously. Pepper spray is out, flashlights yes but watch the size and again if you use it in an offensive manner.... So I wore my 5.11 Instructor Belt with the large metal buckle, better than nothing... and again if you defend yourself...

So obviously Airport Security is a part of life for all of us. So our first trip in 2012 we go through all the Security procedures leaving the US and entering the UK, which are stringent.

When we go to leave the UK, their idea of screening for anyone going to the US consists of some "Security Professional" waving a hand held metal detector wand half assed over people as they walk up to him in a line.

Our next trip in 2019 again our screening to leave the US and enter the UK are stringent.

When we leave, I get selected for "Enhanced Security Screening" Now I'm into my 45th year of being a Police Officer and serving my country in the military as well as currently working for the DOD. So while not pleased, I think hey maybe they're getting their shit together as far as out bound to the US. So my Enhanced Screening consists of me taking my shoes off and the "Security Professional" picking them up and dropping them 6 inches onto the table he and I are standing next too... and holding up my untucked polo shirt and turning around...

So when we enter the UK on this trip again US and UK security measures are stringent.

However yesterday when we are leaving to return to the US we have to do the usual remove liquids and put them in a bag etc. and as you go through the line they have actual items under glass that you can't take on the aircraft and holes where you can drop them into if you realize you have them, ie knives, corkscrews, scissors, large liquids, alcohol etc etc.

So we get to the part of placing your items into the trays and going through the metal detectors etc. The lady in front of us is a US citizen as well and remarks and shows us that she just discovered a Corkscrew in her pocket, and asks us what to do? I told her to give it to the "Security Professional" when she goes to place her other items into the tray for screening. Which she does. The " Security Professional" looks at it and opens it up and examines it, and then hands it back to her and tells her to keep it... So she is now carrying an item onto an aircraft that any of us who frequent this forum could more than likely put to good use and really put a hurt onto someone....

This photo is of the same type of item we have, and no I didn't have one with me. I took this photo today at home for illustration. Nor am I suggesting that anyone do what she did.

Name:  Corkscrew Opener.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  93.6 KB

I'm just venting... and no I'm not surprised in the least about the lack of training, skill or professionalism of the "Security Professionals".
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

First of all, obviously, situational awareness is always your best ‘weapon’ and is always Plan A.

I suspect all of us here know that drill.

As someone who used to go to Asia and Europe an average of 6-8x/year for 25 years before the chinapocylapse, I still always found a way to have something on me that would be of use in case Plan A failed.

One of those things has always been a high output flashlight. Even in Japan, where even a 2” knife blade is not an option, this never got as much as a second glance from authorities, because anyone in an earthquake prone region with common sense carries some sort of light. Even the old crenellated Surefires didn’t get any scrutiny back when I carried those.

The fact that a durable high candela light also provides two separate force options is especially useful.

The other was a particularly well made fountain pen- again, something that would never get a glance from the authorities, but with training, can be quite a handy item. (My training was with Steve Tarani, for what that is worth.)

My titanium chopsticks didn’t get a second glance two weeks ago in Korea, either.

But, Plan A has always kept me from really ever needing any of that stuff.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    First of all, obviously, situational awareness is always your best ‘weapon’ and is always Plan A.

I suspect all of us here know that drill.

As someone who used to go to Asia and Europe an average of 6-8x/year for 25 years before the chinapocylapse, I still always found a way to have something on me that would be of use in case Plan A failed.

One of those things has always been a high output flashlight. Even in Japan, where even a 2” knife blade is not an option, this never got as much as a second glance from authorities, because anyone in an earthquake prone region with common sense carries some sort of light. Even the old crenellated Surefires didn’t get any scrutiny back when I carried those.

The fact that a durable high candela light also provides two separate force options is especially useful.

The other was a particularly well made fountain pen- again, something that would never get a glance from the authorities, but with training, can be quite a handy item. (My training was with Steve Tarani, for what that is worth.)

My titanium chopsticks didn’t get a second glance two weeks ago in Korea, either.

But, Plan A has always kept me from really ever needing any of that stuff.
    When you mention crenellations, we’re these the minimal crenellations like those on many Surefires, or the big E2D type crenellations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    9. Listen your little voice when it is time to go, not go at all, move on, get out, take the next train etc. When in any doubt, Lyft or Uber Out v taking the train.
    This should always be rule #1.

Quote Originally Posted by 42Willys View Post
    I will admit the NYC subway is the most confusing metro system I’ve ever been on.
    I concur.

There's plenty of video to watch of how muggings go down.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...tuy/ar-AAYh45a
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTz9RwOBKDc
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    When you mention crenellations, we’re these the minimal crenellations like those on many Surefires, or the big E2D type crenellations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Back in the early ‘00s, they were the dumb-ass pants-tearing ones. I learned not to carry that particular one around so much fairly early on, though- not because anyone raised an eyebrow, but because they were simply stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    This should always be rule #1.

I concur.

There's plenty of video to watch of how muggings go down.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...tuy/ar-AAYh45a
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTz9RwOBKDc
    People need to start chewing Beechnut.

User Tag List