Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC ideas for places where everything is illegal

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Yeah I am used to clipping knives inwardly to my boxers rather than the pants and would probably do that with a light
    Good way to keep guys from asking to borrow your knife.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My #1 EDC regardless of location is a flashlight in my back pocket. It's obviously a flashlight, not a knife. If I'm relying on it as a primary self-defense tool, I bring the longer 2x CR123 size body.

Here's an interesting belt that a friend in EP (exec protection) turned me on to:
    https://lenwood.com/shop/belts/bft/
    This is the type of thing/idea I'm interested in, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    A Philips screwdriver is always handy and easy to ditch if need be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    POM is unobtrusive.

The spice must flow.

P.S. Don't do any kind of screwdriver with a plan to ditch bullshit. Not sure if that was in jest, but just say no.
    Several female friends have actually carried sharpened flat head screwdrivers in their purses over the years. I thought it was a joke until one of them showed me.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Work on your posture, your awareness, your phisical fitness, and your hand to hand abilities.

Look like a Lion.
    Yeah I do plan on taking up BJJ again, it's been a while and I'll have time that would've gone towards the range for martial arts again. And as I'm getting older I'd like to shift away from trying to powerlift...

I know there are a lot of pens sold with the intent of being strong enough to stab with. I figure my Mont Blanc would work almost as well, but might think about something more purpose-built.

Remember that your best defense is to avoid doing stupid shit with stupid people in stupid places. Once you cross all of those out, the murder rate in the US is pretty much statistically insignificant.

Also remember that nearly 9 million people go un-murdered in NYC every year!
    (8,804,190-318)
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    ….

Several female friends have actually carried sharpened flat head screwdrivers in their purses over the years. I thought it was a joke until one of them showed me.

IMO Any California-type place that cares about carrying a knife is also going to come down hard on carrying a sharpened screwdriver. I like the pom, flashlight, and cane/umbrella ideas.

When I had to fly after Zero knife 9/11 stuff I carried an autographed baseball from the kiddos from back in the day as a reinforced palm strike.

Cane/stick?

But pepper spray is the probably the smart play. That and a baseball.

I may visit there this Fall and it'd be pepper spray and a MagLite I suspect. And a baseball.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    A Philips screwdriver is always handy and easy to ditch if need be.
    POM is unobtrusive.

The spice must flow.

P.S. Don't do any kind of screwdriver with a plan to ditch bullshit. Not sure if that was in jest, but just say no.

In these discussions I frequently see folks discuss various deniable/ditch-able weapons, like they are going to get in a violent confrontation with a street criminal and then pull a John Rain or Jason Bourne and vanish into the urban jungle, leaving the cops scratching their heads about how they could possibly catch the badass ghost who just stacked up three crackheads and left them bleeding on the pavement. I even see this go as far as recommending revolvers because they don't leave shell casings behind.

That's all bullshit.

If you want to play games like that, you need professional training in covert and clandestine operations. You would need to make your entry into the urban space without trackable electronic devices, no electronic trail of your hotels and restaurant spending, would likely need to defeat facial recognition software, and a whole host of things I'm probably forgetting because I haven't worked adjacent to that world in a long time.

Likewise, I would avoid things that aren't technically weapons but are clearly weaponized. Even if you somehow managed to deploy the James Bond belt in a fight, I really don't think it's reasonable to expect Detective Shamansky from the NYPD to not say "Wow he really walloped the shit out of that guy with his belt. I've never heard of that brand." If you can find it on the internet, so can Detective Shamansky. While it might not bring an add-on charge, it will go in the report.

If you get involved in some kind of incident, I would highly recommend getting yourself to a place of safety, calling 911, relaying minimum pertinent details and then shutting your hole until you can retain counsel. That's what reasonable people who have been attacked by criminals do. They don't try to pretend they are a CIA assassin.

Mas Ayoob has written quite well about post-incident actions. Most of his stuff revolves around using guns, but the principles are the same regardless of how you used force.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    If you carry what is essentially a prison shank and end up using it, don't be surprised when you're treated like a prison recidivist.

To paraphrase a wise man, don't fuck around so you don't find out.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

If you carry what is essentially a prison shank and end up using it, don't be surprised when you're treated like a prison recidivist.

To paraphrase a wise man, don't fuck around so you don't find out.
    Amen. Back when I worked the road if I rolled up on the aftermath of a fight and the guy still standing told me "I had to get it on so I shanked him with the screwdriver I was carrying" I'd immediately start checking for "Born To Lose" and "No Ragrats" tattoos.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Amen. Back when I worked the road if I rolled up on the aftermath of a fight and the guy still standing told me "I had to get it on so I shanked him with the screwdriver I was carrying" I'd immediately start checking for "Born To Lose" and "No Ragrats" tattoos.
    "Alex, I'll take teardrop face tattoo for $400"
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

I lived in and near NYC for years (but no longer). My experience, and that of many friends who lived there, is that since there are so many people around in so many instances, and at all hours of the day and night, the vibe is more at ease and not so threatening in terms of personal safety. True story.

Yes, bad things can certainly happen to anyone, anywhere, and any time. But pay attention, don't frequent sketchy areas or walk around in odd places in the middle of the night, project quiet confidence and you'll generally be fine. And carry a high-intensity flashlight that you can quickly deploy for the odd (and rare) scenario when a weird threat arises. The good thing about flashlights is that they're legal to carry and operate everywhere---and can very deftly serve as an effective tool to stun if not temporarily blind a would-be assailant.

User Tag List