Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art of the Fanny Pack

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    If the fanny pack is going to carry a gun plus a bunch of other stuff daily which is what it sounds like the op wants than go with the medium.

I have the snubby and keep a g19 in it with a SAK, lighter, and ear plugs. It's primarily used for runs. It will fit my keys and phone in it as well. When I jam a tq, chest seals, hemogauze, Israel bandage, etc it is hard to manage it.

If you want to hold lots of stuff get the medium. If this will just be a holster/mag pouch than the snubby works fine.

Comfortable enough for 8 mile runs
    Attachment 88482
    How is it to draw from? That is one of my concerns about any of the packs.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    How is it to draw from? That is one of my concerns about any of the packs.
    It's relatively slow. I braided a 550 cord pull on one zipper that's my gun zipper

Site Supporter
    A slow draw is one of the trade-offs for the pack. In "03(ish), I attended a well known multi-day course that was light centric. One of the other students was an army guy that did mostly low vis work. He brought the pack (I think a classic Eagle version) to evaluate its performance under those conditions. He was slower on the line than the rest of us but the pack did what it was supposed to do which was carrying more than just a pistol and reload in that kind of place for that kind of work.

I have one of the old Eagle packs that works just fine for such things. Mine routinely carried a pistol, mags, med gear, and cell phone in a place in which common sense dictated I have them but policy prohibited openly visible carry. It was even comfortable for shorter runs or other forms of exercise. FWIW, the HPG snubby kit bag carries the same gear but is more comfortable during PT runs.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Regarding draw speed, as well as to deal with the tendency of a “fanny pack” to cause back aches, the Safepacker, from The Wilderness dot com, worn on a belt, is somewhat like a “fanny pack,” but is on-body carry, with a flap securing the weapon. A bit of ingenuity can set-up a small magnet to keep the flap closed, resulting in a quite fast draw, about equivalent to AIWB, if the fastex buckle is not fastened.

A Safepacker does not, however, carry much more than than a weapon and a mag/speed-loader.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I have one of these Original Tommy's Gun fanny packs from Kickin' A Packs 'N Stuff. I bought a few years back when they were going out of business and on sale. Seem very high quality and I like mine. Video explains. Fast into action. You can still find on e-bay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jwy0FqEXig
    Does it have a place in the gun compartment to tie the lanyard on a trigger guard holster / sheath?

Name:  51rW20wqQoL._AC_SX425_.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  14.0 KB

Here's my mountain bike setup.

Name:  mtb_fanny.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  70.3 KB

High Above Cascades "Cascadia 4" fanny pack with twin water bottle sleeves.
    Right appendix is a Wilderness Safepacker with a J frame.
    Left is a Wilderness Phonepacker with my cell.

If the weather looks favorable I plan on doing a solo 30 mile night trail ride in the Guadalupe Mtns. (mountain lion central) tonight with this setup.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Does it have a place in the gun compartment to tie the lanyard on a trigger guard holster / sheath?

Name:  51rW20wqQoL._AC_SX425_.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  14.0 KB
    Not inside the compartment.

See Post #2, In This Discussion…

Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Decided to try a Tommy's Gun Pack. Ordered one off of Ebay. Found a NOS medium. I'll let you all know how it works out after it arrives. I imagine I will get it in a week or so.

Decided to try a Tommy's Gun Pack. Ordered one off of Ebay. Found a NOS medium. I'll let you all know how it works out after it arrives. I imagine I will get it in a week or so.
    The Tommy's gun pack arrived last night. Nice little pack. Little being the key word. Turns out is is a small, not a medium like the seller indicated. My G19 and 3" revolvers will not fit.
    I suppose I can carry my P365 in it. Hill People Gear is out of stock of the colors I want right now. Looks like my fanny pack drawer may end up looking like my holster drawer. Rats! I was hoping to avoid that.

User Tag List