Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art of the Fanny Pack

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This reminds me that I had offered you a spare Eagle fanny pack last summer while I was still overseas and I totally forgot!

The Eagle is our standard issue fanny pack for when we have to jog/bike with protectees. Qual course gets 1 extra second added to all the times to compensate for the increased draw time.

Did you still want it? I just have to dig it out, think I threw the extra into a storage box deep in the closet.

Absolutely, TGS. Then, in the next Hollywood blockbuster, Tommy Lee Jones can imitate us! Thanks.

It is a waist pack/pouch, not a “fanny pack.” If worn with the pack part behind one’s back, of course, it can properly be called a lumbar pack.

Regardless of the terminology, these are a nice complement to the snubby lifestyle, which, of course, does not require one to actually tote a short-barreled revolver, as it is more “lifestyle” than “snubby.” Actually, I tend to carry the firearm in a place other than the waist pouch/pack. Osprey makes a quite nice light-weight model, and a slightly larger model that accommodates a water bladder. The latter is definitely designed to fit best as a lumbar pack. The Hill People Gear products, of course, up the ruggedness aspect.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Guns and “Fanny packs” have come a long way over the years. I remember back in the late 90’s, you could always spot an off duty officer by his jean shorts, Oakley Blade glasses, flat top hair cut, and a giant Bianchi fanny pack that looked like a small cooler hanging off his waist.

Thank goodness that have gotten smaller and so have the fanny packs.

I still have the fannypacks I used back in the 90s before IL legalized CC. One is leather, and one is purple ripstop. Both have tearaway gun pockets, not drop panels like some. My 3913 and 640 put on a lot of miles in them.

I can see going back to fannypack carry again.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have a couple of the Galco Fastrax waistpacks for my Glock 26, one in black leather one in nylon.
    While the holster presentation method at first seemed a bit of a gimmick, i'll be damned if it doesn't work pretty good with some practice.
    The nylon is my range/practice/training version and I use the leather as a grab-n-go option on road trips.
    It's held up to range trips very well, and even if you botch the draw or something breaks you just end up with a "normal" fanny pack.

For back country backpacking I have a Hill People Gear chest pack, but i'm mehh on it because of the amount of heat trapped against my chest.
    When mountain bike riding I use a Wilderness Safepacker on the belt of my riding fanny pack.
    I also have a Kifaru Rogan fanny pack that gets used a lot on both my archery quiver setup and as a standalone hiking fanny pack. The Rogan is a solid outdoors setup, very impressive construction.
    Last edited by JodyH; 05-06-2022 at 07:56 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm a few years older than you, sonny, and I don't know about you, but I'm the coolest SOB in my 'hood.

Attachment 88467

Attachment 88468
    I'll be the coolest dude in my hood when I move into a retirement community!
    Last edited by 4given; 05-06-2022 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hands View Post
    Their new medium sized model is better than the snubby IMO, just a hair more room and sits on my chest better crossbody. Not sure how the medium works for a Fanny Pack as I've never tried it.

Edit: you did list the medium haha https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/.../ProductID/184

IMO if you're going to stick with a G26 or J frame than the snubby kit bag is great but for a G48 or even G19 MOS the medium is the size to go with.
    In my experience a G19 or G48 does fit in the snubby but depending on the sights you have it could get snagged by the zipper.
    If the fanny pack is going to carry a gun plus a bunch of other stuff daily which is what it sounds like the op wants than go with the medium.

I have the snubby and keep a g19 in it with a SAK, lighter, and ear plugs. It's primarily used for runs. It will fit my keys and phone in it as well. When I jam a tq, chest seals, hemogauze, Israel bandage, etc it is hard to manage it.

If you want to hold lots of stuff get the medium. If this will just be a holster/mag pouch than the snubby works fine.

Comfortable enough for 8 mile runs
    Name:  IMG_20220430_104957.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  101.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I'll be the coolest dude in my hood when I move into a retirement community!
    I sure hope that day doesn't come anytime soon.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    When we reach certain milestones in life our priorities change. Some of us decide to tone down the partying once we graduate from school, and concentrate on our careers. Others sell our sports cars to buy minivans and crossovers to better facilitate life with children. For most of us, the list of changes and compromises grows each passing year.

I am turning 65 this year. I have come to realize I am no longer young, hip or culturally relevant. I look old, I’m bald, I don’t wear skinny jeans or other trendy attire. My gear does not have to be “that brand” Don’t much care about labels anymore. I’m too old to be cool, just an old Boomer.

These days I gravitate toward what is comfortable, functional and practical. Big emphasis on comfortable. Did I mention that practically every part of my body hurts in some way or another? It is becoming increasingly uncomfortable and, in some instances, downright painful to carry anything but a micro compact in a pocket holster. IWB an AIWB just kill me. Can’t do it anymore. OWB in anything but a range holster is becoming more and more difficult. I am sure it is only going to get worse as time goes by.

While I am not yet ready for a “Stairmaster” or a “Hoveround” I believe I am ready to pursue the “Art of the Fanny Pack”! At least I hope there is an art to it.
    What to buy, how to wear it comfortably. How to draw quickly and safely. Ways to train. I don’t want to look tactical and don’t care if I look like a dork. I just want to have a G19 or 3” revolver readily accessible as comfortably as practical.

I already have a 5.11 fanny pack and there is room for a G19 in it but nothing else. It’s OK but I am sure I can do better.
    Do any of you use a “fanny pack” or something similar successfully? Any sage advice out there? I would hate to have a drawer full of fanny packs next to my drawer full of holsters.
    I don't know if your aches and pains include lower back pain, but I made the fanny sack recommendation to a gentleman from church around your age and he found that he couldn't wear it for more than an hour or so before his back started barking at him. He eventually moved away from the M&P 9c to a J Frame in a pocket holster. Less pain with a J Frame in your trouser pocket beats agony with a service pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I don't know if your aches and pains include lower back pain, but I made the fanny sack recommendation to a gentleman from church around your age and he found that he couldn't wear it for more than an hour or so before his back started barking at him. He eventually moved away from the M&P 9c to a J Frame in a pocket holster. Less pain with a J Frame in your trouser pocket beats agony with a service pistol.
    Good point. My back is ok .. for now. I plan on having a J frame or mouse gun in my strong side pocket in addition to the pack. If I am eventually reduced to pocket carry only, so be it.

User Tag List