Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for Thigh Strap Webbing

Source for Thigh Strap Webbing

I have a need to make my own thigh strap for a holster. I'm usually really good at finding sources for stuff like this, but for the life of me I cannot find the supplier for the 1.5" wide elastic webbing with the rubber sewn in that is common for different thigh strap configurations on the market. I've checked Rocky Woods, Amazon, eBay, and all the Google-fu I can muster. There are some less durable looking options, but I can't find the material that Safariland, T.Rex, Blackhawk, Wilder, etc. are using. It has to be out there somewhere, unless they are weaving the rubber thread in-house on normal mil-spec elastic strap. I ordered some mil spec 1.5" normal elastic strap without the rubber gripping thread, and I imagine it will work fine with the stiff belt hanger mid ride solution we all use these days. It's just bugging me that this seems to be unobtanium to a DIY application. If it's some sort of trade secret, DM me as I have no interest in entering the tactical nylon business and just want to do this for myself.

You could always buy a thigh strap from TREX arms -- I have a number of them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You could always buy a thigh strap from TREX arms -- I have a number of them.
    I think you are going to force me to reveal the obvious reason I need to make one, lmao.

I'm a very large human with very large thighs. The commercial straps are at the very edge of the adjustment for me, and it's easy for the buckle to become loose. I need more strap so I can secure the loose end with a triglide. I don't want to try to marry two straps together as I just need a little more. I don't need the T.Rex grommet because I use the Blackhawk T-Series system with the swiveling strap holder. None of the vendors do custom work, and honestly I enjoy doing stuff like this on my own to solve problems.

My white trash fix for this would be to cut the strap, and where the holster would cover (I use a Safariland, so I dont know how yours would look), I would stitch in the same size of regular nylon as an extender.

https://www.strapworks.com is my go-to for webbing and related supplies.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Maybe just get the MHA strap? No personal experience with it, however.

https://truenorth-usa.com/product-ca...nd-leg-straps/
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Maybe just get the MHA strap? No personal experience with it, however.

https://truenorth-usa.com/product-ca...nd-leg-straps/
    They advertise 36", that might get it done. Most are 30"-32" and I don't need much more. Still, I know they are not making this webbing in a Star Trek replicator and it has to come from somewhere.

I think I've tracked down the domestic source as California Webbing Mills: https://www.calwebmills.com/gripper-elastic-12.html
    Name:  gripper-elastic-300x300.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  17.0 KB
    It looks like they only sell in bulk and may not sell a small amount. I'm going to see if the standard mil-spec 1.5" elastic strap without the rubber grip strands I ordered works out. If not, I'll crawl down that rabbit hole and see how much a roll of that stuff costs or if they'll even give me the time of day.

I haven't seen this before but it looks very interesting. I assume that the rubber sewn in is thin enough that it works fine in all the various plastic hardware? Is the advantage that it doesn't slip as easily in the hardware or that it stays positioned better on your thigh?

User Tag List